Room description did not match reality

Balto Bob

This message was sent to NCL and they have not responded. The description for the Deluxe Family Suite on Pride of America has been changed on their web site. Please make sure you know exactly what you are getting....

-----------------------------

July 26, 2010

Customer Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line

REFERENCE – Pride of America

Booking xxx

Ref Number xxx

Dates – July 10 through 17, 2010

Sirs;

I have recently returned from a week on the Pride of America. We returned home on July 25, after spending an additional week in the Islands. I must express my severe displeasure with your irresponsible and blatantly false representation of the 2-Bedroom Deluxe Family Suite (Unit 9000 – AC). My family will never know of the destruction you have done to almost two years of my planning.

Planning began on this cruise in late 2008. NCL representatives recommended the 2-Bedroom Deluxe Family Suite would be the best way to travel to the Hawaiian Islands and celebrate them with my family of 4 adults and 1 child (14 years old). Our cruise was booked in October 2008. I was led to believe there would be two bedrooms and a separate area with sofa bed to easily accommodate five people. My wife was the only other family member who knew of our accommodations on the ship.

Initial boarding was a pleasure. Our luggage was marked with the RED PRIORITY stickers. We literally flew through the registration process. I could see the questions in my family’s eyes at what was happening. I was “in heaven.” We were on board by 12:45 PM and our suite was available at 4:00 PM.

Imagine my total shock when I realized that the only separation between the first bedroom and the sitting area was a curtain. Then I discovered there was NO sofa bed. The final indignation was that the second bedroom was an inner cabin with NO window/porthole. My grandson was to sleep on a pull down bed that left about 18 inches of headroom above his parents’ bed. See attached photo.

The only viable alternative was to have housekeeping bring in a roll away bed every evening, and not use the pull down. The roll away would be placed in the open sitting area. Since there would be very limited or no privacy, my daughter and her husband would sleep in the main bedroom with him, while my wife and I would use the second bedroom. Note: The bed delivered to us was so worn that my grandson attempted to sleep at either end, away from the middle. He was AFRAID to say anything.

The historical rule of “first on the ship/last luggage delivery” was in effect. Our “RED PRIORITY TAGS” meant nothing. Our “priority” luggage finally arrived at 7:00PM and was placed outside the suite, in the hallway. There was no offer of assistance to either bring them in or help with unpacking. This was another advertised courtesy to suite passengers that never really existed.

In summary, due totally to your use of false advertising and incorrect information concerning the true accommodations on Pride of America, my major goal of having the family travel in comfort and luxury was destroyed for me. I spent approximately $2400.00 per day for seven days to sleep in an inner cabin with no windows and use a bathroom that was so small I could not get a suitable photo. When I shaved, the water actually wet the toilet seat! My nights were so upsetting that I never turned on the 30-year-old, 9-inch screen television in this room from hell. See attached photo.

Hopefully, I may warn other travelers, in advance, before they accept NCL accommodations or information. The severe inaccuracies in your literature and false statements by your NCL representatives are a disgrace to the cruise industry.

Respectfully,

-----------------------------

Sofabed.jpg.9eafac7cb6040df80c554896b6a5072d.jpg

TV.jpg.2cfa76ee67f63d957f3c90312f2577bb.jpg

Granddad, I am so sorry this happened to you, especially after all the thought and planning that went into your family vacation. As a lesson to future travellers, these message boards can be a great source of information so you know exactly what you are getting into. Past cruisers can be very helpful in sharing honest feedback. Personally, I wouldn't count on the representative from NCL or any cruise line to be objective, their goal is to sell. It's a shame you only discovered these message boards after the fact.

Granddad, I am so sorry this happened to you, especially after all the thought and planning that went into your family vacation. As a lesson to future travellers, these message boards can be a great source of information so you know exactly what you are getting into. Past cruisers can be very helpful in sharing honest feedback. Personally, I wouldn't count on the representative from NCL or any cruise line to be objective, their goal is to sell. It's a shame you only discovered these message boards after the fact.

Cynbar - I have used these boards since our first cruise in 1998. Laura and her team have always been a great help. We are not "avid" cruisers. I have been pushed into it about once every 3 -4 years. Sorry to say, I never saw anyone give an accurate review of the actual room accommodations versus advertised on the Pride. If I had seen that, I would have certainly "dug deeper". I would likely have used two suites instead of the "family" one. The actual cruise, staff, and food were very close to comments here. My family is still talking (raving) about it. They really do not know of my issue with the room(s). I will say that, for a family, NCL, is a good choice. For us, my wife and I have enjoyed suites on HAL and RCI. We will never use NCL again.

I would never get into a discussion of "A cruise line is better than B cruise line".

My issue is that the AC category suite on deck 9 of Pride of America is poorly designed and NOT accurately described. If you look at the NCL web site for PoA - it is one of the very few cabins that they do NOT show a "floor plan". The photograph is a sketch and very inaccurate. It is MY FAULT for missing that. Had I thought this was unusual, or if I had seen any comments about it on the boards, I would have reserved other rooms for the family. My comments here are to warn everyone to be sure what they are getting...and paying for....

I would never get into a discussion of "A cruise line is better than B cruise line".

My issue is that the AC category suite on deck 9 of Pride of America is poorly designed and NOT accurately described. If you look at the NCL web site for PoA - it is one of the very few cabins that they do NOT show a "floor plan". The photograph is a sketch and very inaccurate. It is MY FAULT for missing that. Had I thought this was unusual, or if I had seen any comments about it on the boards, I would have reserved other rooms for the family. My comments here are to warn everyone to be sure what they are getting...and paying for....

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. No windows in the second bedroom is common, look at the floorplan for the Courtyard Villas.

I do think that you got what you paid for but I'm still sorry that you were disappointed.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. No windows in the second bedroom is common, look at the floorplan for the Courtyard Villas.

I do think that you got what you paid for but I'm still sorry that you were disappointed.

I think his comment about not being an avid cruiser and how he gets talked into it, explanis a lot. He posted the same letter on another website yesterday.

I too, think he really got what he paid for, he just didn't realize what a 2 bedroom suite would really be like.

I do feel sorry for him, but he says the rest of the trip was pleasant, so maybe he should be consentrating more on the positives than the negatives. The size alone of the suite should have been more than satisfactory for 5 people.

I think if I had to be conned into taking a particular type of vacation, I too would be looking at the negatives instead of the positives. Those of us who have cruised more than a time or two, know how much better NCL suites and perks are than most other lines.

Nita

have to do with the package I booked on Pride of America....

Bottom line - I paid for a family suite with butler service, I got a family suite with butler service. We had a nice time. I did not expect quality food and service. I generally got decent food and quality service. This cruise was for my grandson. daughter and son-in-law. They had a wonderful time and are still talking about it. I did my homework on Cruise Critic, as I have done on every prior cruise. The square footage of this suite was as promised and sufficient for us. We have cruised only 6 times. All (except for Windjammer in ancient years) have been suites with butler service and the associated perks. I will not be led into a discussion of who has better perks. You get what you pay for.

Every island tour was booked separately from NCL by me. They all worked as planned. I did not come away disappointed, EXCEPT for the accommodations.

I DID NOT get the layout that USED to be shown on the web page. I DID NOT expect to sleep in an inside cabin. (OK - I gave the nice room to the kids). I consider this to be a very good example of very poor advertising and representation by NCL.

Parts of my letter to NCL have been removed. I asked them to respond to me within 10 days. I offered to post, with their permission, any response to my letter on the various cruise web sites.

The only action by NCl has been to modify their web site by removing the floor plan from the description. Actually, that could be considered their answer.

Yes, I have posted the original letter on other web sites. I would hope that, no matter what cruise line someone uses, they make 100% sure they know what they are paying for and will be getting.

Any of you who know my posts know that I am a huge NCL supporter. However, the OP is absolutely correct about that suite. I remember, from touring all the suites on the POA on a TA overnight out of San Francisco years ago, that they were NOTHING like the suites on the rest of NCL's ships. They actually seemed tacky. The "inside" area of the suite Granddad mentions can in no way be compared to the second bedroom of the AB suites or courtyard villa suites on other NCL ships. In my opinion, there isn't one single cabin onboard the POA that is as nice as the cabins on other NCL ships.

So, for those of you who haven't been aboard the Pride of America and haven't seen the cabins, please refrain from commenting on the OP's review of them. He was right on.

An AC cabin on Pride cost $2,400/day? That's $16,800/week. That seems like an aweful lot. Maybe I mis-read that part.

That caught my eye also, which works out to be $3,360.00 pp for the week. What ever happened to third and fourth person rates? Or is this cabin some how priced differently?

Rick, you have been in a Garden Villa. Is that priced differently than other cabins when it comes to third (and subsequently more) person rates?

PE

An AC cabin on Pride cost $2,400/day? That's $16,800/week. That seems like an aweful lot. Maybe I mis-read that part.

We went to Maui for two weeks last year, flew first class, stayed at high end resorts and didn't spend that much.

I am guessing he is talking about the entire cost of the trip, not just the suite for 1 week. Maybe I am wrong. I too would have to question the cost.

Nita

That caught my eye also' date=' which works out to be $3,360.00 pp for the week. What ever happened to third and fourth person rates? Or is this cabin some how priced differently?

Rick, you have been in a Garden Villa. Is that priced differently than other cabins when it comes to third (and subsequently more) person rates?

PE[/color']

We got a great price on it...something like $6500 each for first 2 and $199 for each additional. We had a total of 5. It was a few vacations ago, but I recall it was the same rate for 3rd+ passengers as other cabins.

i did do a quick check, the cruise itself assuming he didn't get any great deal shouldn't have been more than about $8500 to $9000. That would be the price for 5 during Thanksgiving or Christmas week and he certainly didn't pay more than either of those weeks. Plus he booked quite awhile ago before NCl did it's 7% rate increase in May. I bet he was talking total charges including tips, specialty dining rooms whatever. It is still a lot of money.

Nita

That's some serious coin for 7 days. We did a 8 night land based vacation in Maui for much less than that...airfare and all expenses included. :eek:

But were there 5 of you, all inclusive and in a deluxe accommodation? yes, you can do some things cheaper. A normal cruise, in a balc cabin would have cost about 1/2 of that. Again, I think his figures included more than just the suite and he didn't mention all the perks that come with the suite, like 3 bottles of booze, fresh fruit, special eating areas, appitizers daily, etc.

Nita

I think the OP's letter will get little response because it is so over the top. By charging "false advertising" he is asserting a claim that NCL knowingly and intentionally misstated the room's features. They may have gotten it wrong--but on purpose? I doubt it

I'm very sorry for you, grandad.

I think some of the repliers missed your point. It is not about if you had a nice cruise or what you got for his money. It is about the wrong information you got from NCL. When you book a cruise you may consider the information right and it wasn't. I should be very upset and angry when this happened to me. And I think it is also very bad he got no answer from NCL.

I'm very sorry for you, grandad.

I think some of the repliers missed your point. It is not about if you had a nice cruise or what you got for his money. It is about the wrong information you got from NCL. When you book a cruise you may consider the information right and it wasn't. I should be very upset and angry when this happened to me. And I think it is also very bad he got no answer from NCL.

True...getting off track with the $.

BUT...it's 650 SF...for 5 people. Let's be realistic, regardless of layout, that's not very much space if you are going into the scenario thinking of having pure luxury.

I think the OS we had on Jewel was about that size and it seemed OK for 2 maybe even 3; we've also had a royal suite on Celebrity a couple times...about 600 SF I think and it was definately not sufficient for 4. Even the Sky Suite on Celebrity felt maxed out with 2 occupants.

And, the letter itself, overly dramatic. If you had a great vacation with memories that will last a lifetime, and your family raving about what you did, isn't that the whole point?

Archived