Baby Sleeping Arrangements in Cabin

borg1of2

We are going on Oasis in a month and am curious how others handle the in-room sleeping arrangements with their baby. The cabin doesn't have a curtain for separation, so we are thinking about rigging something up to separate the area, by the couch from the bed. That way DD will have her separate space and not get distracted by us in the bed next to her.

We have some plans to put her down in the evening and then go out on the balcony. What other innovative ideas have others done? Yes, I know a lot of this depends on the habits of the baby.

Thanks

Scott

PS -DD will be 15 months for the Oasis cruise and 18 months for the Disney.

We sail on Princess and usually get a mini-suite. We always bring an extra sheet and some stick-on velcro. Stick one side to the sheet and one side to the wall/ceiling where you want the divider and there you go. It always comes down easily and there is no damage to the wall/ceiling.

Princess is usually able to accomodate us by putting a divider up (usually a heavy curtain), but I always bring the velcro/sheet just in case!

Enjoy your cruise!

When we did Disney DD was an infant and we had the divider curtain to give her some extra privacy.

On Freedom last year she was 18 months and we just had to be quiet (read as: sat in the dark in the room) until she was asleep, and once she is out- you could have a party around her and she probably would not notice.

DDs sleep habits are really flexible when we cruise, and her scheduled sleep time goes slightly out the window, but we are on vacation after all!!

Have a plan, and be prepared to toss it out the window.

We sail on Princess and usually get a mini-suite. We always bring an extra sheet and some stick-on velcro. Stick one side to the sheet and one side to the wall/ceiling where you want the divider and there you go. It always comes down easily and there is no damage to the wall/ceiling.

Princess is usually able to accomodate us by putting a divider up (usually a heavy curtain), but I always bring the velcro/sheet just in case!

Enjoy your cruise!

I love the Velcro idea!! We were thinking of doing a string with those magic hook things. String from one hook to the other and then hang the sheet over.

Yes, would love to have that curtain. We've had on Radiance Class RCCL ships, but Oasis doesn't appear to.

We were also thinking of giving in to the distraction. Bringing her into bed. Watch some TV if she sleeps great, if not we can relax and then all crash together in the bed. Not a norm for us, but an idea.

Thanks

Scott

We were also thinking of giving in to the distraction. Bringing her into bed. Watch some TV if she sleeps great, if not we can relax and then all crash together in the bed. Not a norm for us, but an idea.

Thanks

Scott

We did this when we first started cruising w/ DD. We weren't thrilled with the idea but it was the only way to get her to go to sleep!! She was 2 1/2 when we started cruising.

We just turn off the lights and close the curtainds and wait/pray for them to sleep then lights can go on and out on the balcony we go. We bring a reading light/ipod etc. I once tried to go on the balcony before they were asleep and DS just cried the entire time so now we just wait. I love the curtain idea but it didnt work on Disney, he just cried with that too. Nights he goes down easy no problem but for naps its more difficult since his routine is altered. Thankfully both my kids are good travelers/cruisers and we have learned to be very flexible

I always put blankets/towels on the side of the crib so she can't see around her. She was always a good sleeper and she liked that. Once she was asleep I removed the blankets. Disney will have the divider to help out.

We started cruising w/ DD at 20 mos. We let her sleep in the bed between us (an inside, so no balcony anyway) and we just all went to bed at the same time. She was a late-to-bed late-to-rise girl, so it worked for us. Then we just had a lazy morning (once we'd had enough sleep, which was naturally before she'd had enough.) I would get up and go to the gym, DH would sleep in and then watch TV. DD would eventually wake up. It wouldn't work for everybody, but it worked for us.

The way my DD does it - she has he room steward set up a bed (or crib) in our cabin. That way she can bring the kid to our cabin and she can sleep :D. I'm almost kidding - we came back to our cabin on one cruise to find a crib set up - next cruise the couch was made into a bed.... My 5 YO grandson thinks its weird when he has to sleep with his parents on a cruise.

For us, it was always the balcony, like you said. We would put them down and walk "outside". If they couldn't see us, then they would go right to sleep. So it didn't matter if the cabin had a curtain or not between the beds, we would pull the balcony curtain closed so they could see us and leave a small crack.

You will see, there is something about the movement/sounds of a ship that rocks a baby to sleep almost immediately. Heck, it almosts put me to sleep right away. :D

My Grandson always hated to nap and hated bedtime. We found he was just so worn out he was taking a nap and he was ready for bed every night. Having a good "workout" at the pool, dinner and activities afterwards and the "motion of the ocean" were sleep inducing. He would fall asleep to the TV and we could have had a cocktail party in the room and he would have slept through the whole thing. We were just very flexible and played it by ear. If he didn't seem tired or in need of a nap, fine. We pretty much let the usual schedule slide out the window. It's vacation and we aren't on our regular work schedule either. It took a few days after the cruise for all of us to get back to the real world schedule.

Archived