train from civitevecchia to rome and back

XSYTD

We rode the train into Rome at the end of our cruise on a Sat. in late April. There were a lot of other cruise passengers as well as, of course, Italians.

There was a big rush to get on the train and we ended up standing in the compartment between cars with our luggage and as many other people as could possibly squeeze in. It's possible that there was room in other cars, but it was too difficult to move from one car to another with all the luggage and people, so we just stayed there. Though I didn't think it was possible, a couple of more people squeezed in at additional stops.

We did get seats when some people left in one of the stops before Rome, probably with about 20 minutes to go.

So it can get crowded--we just bought the regular tickets, not the first-class. I'd still take the train again, though. It was cheap, relatively easy, and an interesting experience for someone from Nebraska where public transportation is practically non-existent, outside of Omaha.

We found the train to be a great way to get to Rome, it is quicker and much cheaper than most other methods. We were able to get a seat on our out bound train but had to stand for 15-20 minutes on the return train until enough passengers got off to open up some seats. The ticket you want for the round trip is the BIRG, I think it was 9 euros/pp. On our recent trip we disembarked just after 7:00 and still made the 7:33 train. We hoofed it the .3 miles from the bus drop off to the station and literally ran from the ticket counter to the train, I think it left about 30 seconds after we got on.

I would not think pickpockets would be a problem as they would have to buy a train ticket just to get on. Having said that we did see a beggar on one of our train trips that played the accordion as he walked the aisle on one of our train trips (can't remember if it was on the Rome train).

Kirk

The ticket you want for the round trip is the BIRG, I think it was 9 euros/pp. On our recent trip we disembarked just after 7:00 and still made the 7:33 train. We hoofed it the .3 miles from the bus drop off to the station and literally ran from the ticket counter to the train, I think it left about 30 seconds after we got on.

If you are in a hurry and there is a line at the ticket office, buy your BIRG ticket from the news stand, where there generally is no line. He also sells this particular ticket.

You can also download some guided tours off the internet. We did this for the colloseum, st peters, and a few other places, instead of taking traditional guided tours. You load them on your MP3 player and are off! Rick Steve's website has some, if you're interested in them.

Also, if you do decide to see the forum/palentine hill, the lines to buy tickets are generally shorter at palentine hill.

I'm looking at the link but cannot seem to find the exact schedule for the Civitavecchia to San Pietro (and return) schedule. Where can I find that?

I'm looking at the link but cannot seem to find the exact schedule for the Civitavecchia to San Pietro (and return) schedule. Where can I find that?

The place to get the current and correct information is from the source, Trenitalia. The English language version of their web site is here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Archived