Internet questions

I've read about hot spots on the ship, but I am assuming that wifi is available in my cabin- is this correct? Where/how do I sign up for a wifi package? Thanks
Depends on the ship you're sailing on.

On Freedom of the Seas, WiFi was available in the cabin as I think it is supposed to be in all cabins on all Freedom Class ships.

On Adventure this year it was only available in a few selected locations (Cloud Nine on deck 14 - didn't work), Cafe Promenade on deck 5, Conference Centre - deck 2 and I believe around the Solarium on deck 11, but I didn't check that area.

To use WiFi you have to go to the normal RCI Online PC's and register with your Sea Pass card and create a username & password. Then when you connect via WiFi you specify your username and password and then you're logged in.

OK Thanks! We are sailing on the Liberty so I am hopeful I'll have in cabin wifi.

Just to clarify- I need to locate a PC on board and sign up on that computer and then once registered I can log in using my laptop?

If I choose a 60 minute package can I add minutes on if needed?

Thanks again for all your help:)

OK Thanks! We are sailing on the Liberty so I am hopeful I'll have in cabin wifi.

Just to clarify- I need to locate a PC on board and sign up on that computer and then once registered I can log in using my laptop?

If I choose a 60 minute package can I add minutes on if needed?

Thanks again for all your help:)

Yes, just go to the 'Royal Caribbean Online' lounge on deck 8, login to a PC using your Sea Pass card and choose the option to set up WiFi.

You can add more minutes to your package by purchasing another package, I've never done that myself. When you login using WiFi you get a pop up that should tell you how many minutes you have left on your package.

A word of warning, just make sure you don't go over your package minutes as the service won't stop, they will just charge you per minute at the going rate once all your package minutes have been used up.

Does anyone know why Explorer doesnt have Wi-Fi throughout the ship? So annoying RCI!!!

Also, anyone know if its possible? We were just in a Cabin right outside of Royal online and there was absolutly NO Wi-fi service in our cabin.

I can only suggest that the older ships have had some WiFi hotspots installed, but like Adventure these do not cover the whole ship.

As for having WiFi even if you are located next to the Royal Caribbean Online lounge, if there is no wireless router (which is what a 'hotspot' is) installed nearby that is in itself connected to the computer network, then you won't be able to connect via WiFi.

Pete

Do you know if there is an ethernet connection in the cabin?

We are sailing on the Brilliance.

Another poster talked about a "cybercabin" option.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian, sorry I can't answer that one as I never tried using my own laptop when on Brilliance although I have heard of 'cybercabin' I can't find details about it. I know that this implies there is some type of ethernet connection in the cabin.

Just so you know. The internet service on ships is painfully slow. Think dial up connection or even slower. Wifi or ethernet, your laptop or ships computers, it doesn't matter. Service does improve a little in the late night hours when nobody else is using it. The ships have limited broadband width so the more people using it, the slower the service.

Internet on board is not meant to browse. It definately is not meant to e-mail big size file attachments such as pictures.

The best way to use it is to "sign on, download e-mail, sign off, read and reply to e-mails while off line, sign on, send your replies, sign off".

Unless of course you have an unlimited budget, paid by you or your company.

It's about 0.40c a minute with the best package and sometimes it will take 5 minutes just to sign on and get your home page to open....

I always advocate using the internet cafes in ports where for few dollar$ an hour you get true high speed connection.

Pete

Do you know if there is an ethernet connection in the cabin?

We are sailing on the Brilliance.

Another poster talked about a "cybercabin" option.

Thanks

Brian

The cybercabin still existed on the Radiance last year, but I heard it's discontinued now. I wanted the cybercabin last year, but guest relations advised against it, since a lot of passengers brought the cable back because it didn't work.

Cindy

I've read about hot spots on the ship, but I am assuming that wifi is available in my cabin- is this correct? Where/how do I sign up for a wifi package? Thanks

Internet packages available while on board...

New price as of April 10, 2010 is $.65 per minute

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

peteuk, gotcha... we're wireless at home (beleive me Im familair with wireless! lol) Id be very surprised if in Royal Caribbean Online, Deck 8 if there wasnt wireless.

I might have been the one who mentioned the outdated and archaic (LOL) Cyber Cabin. And, yes as slow as it was it worked very, very well for me to post Live From threads. :D

peteuk, gotcha... we're wireless at home (beleive me Im familair with wireless! lol) Id be very surprised if in Royal Caribbean Online, Deck 8 if there wasnt wireless.

I might have been the one who mentioned the outdated and archaic (LOL) Cyber Cabin. And, yes as slow as it was it worked very, very well for me to post Live From threads. :D

Explorer's maiden voyage was 2000, wireless was not that common then, I think you will find that the computers in RCI online are ethernet wired and as such there would be no need for wireless up there

Explorer's maiden voyage was 2000, wireless was not that common then, I think you will find that the computers in RCI online are ethernet wired and as such there would be no need for wireless up there
I agree entirely. Any installation of 'fixed' PC's will not normally rely on a wireless connection as this is normally slower than a 'hardwired' cabled installation, and most of the wireless installations on the older ships have been retrofitted as it has been on Adventure, in selected locations only.

A word of warning, just make sure you don't go over your package minutes as the service won't stop,

THIS IS A GREAT TIP!

When I was checking out of my last cruise the girl in front of me was arguing that she had been charged 1,200 quid for internet charges, apparently her computer stayed online even though she thought the laptop was in sleep mode.

I didnt find out until days later that 1200 quid = almost $2,000 USD :eek:

The guy at the Pusers desk was only able to give her $50USD back.

THIS IS A GREAT TIP!

When I was checking out of my last cruise the girl in front of me was arguing that she had been charged 1,200 quid for internet charges, apparently her computer stayed online even though she thought the laptop was in sleep mode.

I didnt find out until days later that 1200 quid = almost $2,000 USD :eek:

The guy at the Pusers desk was only able to give her $50USD back.

OMG, well that's why there's a 'log off' option and everyone should make sure they've logged off and shut down.

I bring my netbook, but mainly to download photos from my camera. When I want to use the internet I use RCI's computers. That pretty much ensures I won't run up a huge bill since it's kind of in your face if you don't log off.

On Explorer in March/April my wifes laptop was able to connect wireless easily while sitting near the computers on deck 8, our room just down the hall there was no signal available. We will be alot closer in Feb so we might be able to login from the room this time. A hump cabin on deck 8 might be close enough for signal.

Agree with the logon, download email, logoff thing. We did that and still used up the largest package. But my wife completed a house sale while we were on the cruise, just did the closing when we got home and that deal paid for the cruise and then some, so it was well worth what we paid for the internet access. :D

Archived