Joining a cruise group you don't know.

mattman7779

My wife and I are traveling on the Legend on Nov 7th 2010 out of Tampa.

We stumbled across a group who were going at the same time via the internet. They offered a discounted price and several additional amenity's which Carnival does not usually offer. As a result we joined their cruise group without really knowing any other people in the group. Has anyone had either a good or bad experience doing this. If all good why doesn't everybody join up with a group no matter if you do anything together or not with the group. Seems like a good way to save a few bucks as you deal straight with the travel agent.

a lot of people think because they book with the group they are stuck with the group.

That is not the case. You should book the cruise in howver saves you the most money. You do not have to do group activities or group excursions.

But a lot of people think that is the case.

Your post brough back many memories for me. This story takes place in 1987 on Premier cruise lines, which back then was the Disney cruise line.

I was working with a women Norma Brown, she said her family was planning a family reunion cruise if I was interested. They were a group of 300 people, all african american. This was my very first cruise, me, dh, ds 7 and dd 9. They all took us in just like family, can you imagine huge group photos with all the browns and then the 4 of us white folk. They even provided us with t-shirts, that read Brown family reunion. We were invited to all of the family functions. I can't tell you how many people came up to us and asked rather delicately how we fit in the family. It was by far the best experience I have had. We had a great time.

I would not hesitate in booking along with another group, go and have a ball!!

We stumbled across a group who were going at the same time via the internet. They offered a discounted price and several additional amenity's which Carnival does not usually offer. As a result we joined their cruise group without really knowing any other people in the group. Has anyone had either a good or bad experience doing this. If all good why doesn't everybody join up with a group no matter if you do anything together or not with the group. Seems like a good way to save a few bucks as you deal straight with the travel agent.

I am a Group leader for a couple of CC Groups,

the one I have in a few weeks to Alaska,

I have 4 cabins of Folks that have signed up with the Cruise Critic TA,

but Have not mentioned a word on the boards, Roll call or Official.

You can do as much as you like or as little, or not let the leader know even who you are.

The only thing we as leaders get, (Info wise)

Is your legal First name and last initial

No Cabin #'s or any other info...

I agree, book what ever works best for your pocket book,

if you go to a Meet and Greet and find out,

no way do I like these people, just don't do anything else with them.

More likely you will say, I am IN, and off you go....

Enjoy your Cruise.

Check out the CC Group cruise in the future for some fun ways to get involved and save money.

The CC boards, Roll Calls too, have a great fast of information just waiting for you ;)

Your post brough back many memories for me. This story takes place in 1987 on Premier cruise lines, which back then was the Disney cruise line.

I was working with a women Norma Brown, she said her family was planning a family reunion cruise if I was interested. They were a group of 300 people, all african american. This was my very first cruise, me, dh, ds 7 and dd 9. They all took us in just like family, can you imagine huge group photos with all the browns and then the 4 of us white folk. They even provided us with t-shirts, that read Brown family reunion. We were invited to all of the family functions. I can't tell you how many people came up to us and asked rather delicately how we fit in the family. It was by far the best experience I have had. We had a great time.

Now THAT'S a great story! I believe there's a picture of that entire group (including you!) in the dictionary next to the word "HOSPITALITY". I was also part of a similar African-American family, was invited to several of their family-reunion cookouts, one white guy in the crowd and of course everyone called me the "black sheep" of the family... what fun we had (till I moved... oh well).

Love it! OP, I say join the group and have an adventure!

Great story. We have the same type of group. A bunch of us black folks and a few white folks. We too, have a great time!

There is a pretty good chance that they are just people. And there is no rule that you have to spend a single minute of your cruise with any of them. If you find you want to, excellent. If you find you do not want to spend time with them, also excellent.

I signed up for a CC group cruise on the Legend a couple of years ago. I didn't know anyone in the group to begin with and was doing the cruise as a solo, since none of my family or friends was interested in going. I had a blast!

Each offical CC group cruise has a group roll call thread and I started chatting on the thread with others in the group. By the time of the cruise, I had already made many new friends. It's a great way to get to know people before the cruise. On embarkation day, there was a meet and greet and it was great to finally meet everyone in person. People participated in the group activities they were interested in. There was no obligation to participate in any activity, but all were welcome.

So, while you aren't required to do anything with the group, you might lose out by not meeting a great group of new friends! Even if it's an established group, the likelihood is that there will be lots of new members who sign up, so you won't be the only one who doesn't know everyone. Hope you have a great cruise!

The first cruise we ever went on was a "group cruise". The group was established, but needed one more cabin to fill it (I guess there is a set number of cabins needed to be officially a "group"). We got that cabin.

The travel agent handling the group made it clear to us at the time that we were under no obligation to participate with the group in any way -- just fill the cabin so they could have their number, which we did. We did get some free champagne at a small on-board reception, but otherwise pretty much went our own way.

We joined a well-established group called the Saints & Sinners a couple of years ago and had a great time! After cruising with them twice, we have made some lifelong friends...I heartily recommend it! Worst case scenario if you don't care for the group is that you do your own thing...it's a no-lose situation and you save some bucks!

By the way, we are on your cruise! Why don't you come join the rol call? It's fun to know some people on the cruise even before you board the ship. The roll call has been a little quiet, but we're hoping it livens up as the cruise gets closer;) Here is a link to the roll call....:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25541576#post25541576

Hey, Linny, how are you doing?

Yep, to the OP we are group cruisers. We were with the Saints and Sinners, Dream Catchers and now I have the Liberty Looneys and hopefully one in 2012. We will be cruising with a bunch of people we have met on cruises. So much fun do as much or as little as you want and save some money.

We dont join up with groups because we dont know of the groups. How would one find out about a discounted group price?? I dont know ... if you know of a way, let us in on it

We dont join up with groups because we dont know of the groups. How would one find out about a discounted group price?? I dont know ... if you know of a way, let us in on it

WE JUST SIGNED UP THRU THE LOCAL CIGAR STORE'S WEB SITE IN SLIPPERY ROCK, PA. GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS IS GOING ON A CRUISE OUT OF THAT BUSINESS SAME TIME WE ARE. DISCOUNTED PRICE , SHIP BOARD CREDITS AND AN EXTRA COCKTAIL PARTY AND WELCOME ABOARD PACKAGE MADE OUR DECISION EASY. THANKS FOR ALL THE FEED BACK FROM EVERY BODY. i AM FEELING VERY COMFORTABLE WITH OUR DECISION

what group is it? I am on this cruise at all and did search to see if there was any groups and found nothing.

As long as they are ready to have a great time the more the merrier!!!!

check out "slippery rock, cigar store" web site for info

good discussion on where you are able to smoke cigars on the ship as it is restricted.

your post brough back many memories for me. This story takes place in 1987 on premier cruise lines, which back then was the disney cruise line.

I was working with a women norma brown, she said her family was planning a family reunion cruise if i was interested. They were a group of 300 people, all african american. This was my very first cruise, me, dh, ds 7 and dd 9. They all took us in just like family, can you imagine huge group photos with all the browns and then the 4 of us white folk. They even provided us with t-shirts, that read brown family reunion. We were invited to all of the family functions. I can't tell you how many people came up to us and asked rather delicately how we fit in the family. It was by far the best experience i have had. We had a great time.

sounds like a great time, thanks for your story

What group is it? I am on this cruise at all and did search to see if there was any groups and found nothing.

As long as they are ready to have a great time the more the merrier!!!!

"Slippery Rock Cigar Store" web site has info to review.

My first cruise was a group which was headed by one of our friends. Her TA helped her arrange it. We all knew each other and it was a blast.

Second cruise was a group arranged by the travel agency. We didn't know anyone, but they were all nice. We had a bus load. We didn't plan our activities around them, but at least had some familiar faces to say "hi" to around the ship.

Our third group cruise, again through the TA, was only 8 people. We didn't see them at all during the cruise.

Now we are booked with a group from our local radio station. They have some extra perks planned. Don't know if we'll know anybody, but there are 100 people going. Chances are we might. We booked this one because the bus trip seems like the easiest way to get to the pier. We upgraded our cabin, so we won't even be staying in the same vicinity onboard as the rest. Anyway, you have your choice of whether or not to participate in any special gatherings that might be planned.

Besides CC, you can also find out about group cruises through travel agents or sometimes the newspaper.

Have a fun cruise.

Archived