Running track on Freedom mismeasured?

arc918

Just off the FOS. The sign on the track reads "3 laps = 1K, 4.5 laps = 1 mile."

I don't think that math works.

10K would = 30 laps (10 x 3).

6.2 miles x 4.5 laps = 27.9 laps.

I doesn't much matter now, but something seems out of whack.

Just off the FOS. The sign on the track reads "3 laps = 1K, 4.5 laps = 1 mile."

I don't think that math works.

10K would = 30 laps (10 x 3).

6.2 miles x 4.5 laps = 27.9 laps.

I doesn't much matter now, but something seems out of whack.

I would simply assume that they have rounded off the number of laps needed to equal a mile/kilometer. Unlike a real track, it's not designed to be exactly 1/4 mile or whatever. They build the ship, the track turns out to be whatever length it happens to be, and they put up a sign that says approximately how many laps will then = a mile or kilometer. Because it's rounded off, it will be a little inaccurate, as your math discovered.

This got me very curious. I wanted to know if it was accurate also because my son will be running this track when we go and it would be nice to know if the measurement is accurate.

So I put on my thinking cap (I only do this on rare occassion, especially when it comes to math!)

Keeping in mind that 1k = .62 miles

My calculation is if 3 laps equals 1k then each lap must be equal to about .21 miles. .21 miles times 4.5 laps equals .93 miles.

So it seems the sign is correct (give or take a tiny bit).

Someone please correct me if Im wrong! LOL

Edited by Griswolds

It was no big deal to me, but my "mile" times for 4.5 laps seem a bit slow for the perceived effort.

Running was interesting, with the ship going 20 knots into a 20+ mph headwind, it was like hitting a brick wall for every lap. But at least the headwind cooled me off.

Some days the wind was much more manageable than others. A couple days in I learned to check the TV (channel 19?) to see how bad the wind was.

Timing would also depend on how many people are standing on the track and watching all the joggers running by with "excuse me" and not moving at all.

Not to mention those that drag their lawn chairs onto the track. Reminds me of doing hurdles! It is surprising how many people loiter on the track and then become annoyed when you jog past them.

I have found that 15 minutes after sail-a-way from ports is a good time to run. Many of the people who were out on deck watchig sail-a-way have left by then, the early dinner people are off prepating for dinner, the views of the port are usually nice, and the ship often is not up to full speed so the wind is not as bad.

Timing would also depend on how many people are standing on the track and watching all the joggers running by with "excuse me" and not moving at all.

I was usually up running by 6:30 AM or so - helped beat the heat and the crowds as well

once it gets a little later in the day, forget about it

Not to mention those that drag their lawn chairs onto the track. Reminds me of doing hurdles! It is surprising how many people loiter on the track and then become annoyed when you jog past them.

I have found that they look especially annoyed when I "accidentally" kick their deck chair on my way past. I do add a cheery 'Sorry!' as I continue on.:p

Lisa

I have found that they look especially annoyed when I "accidentally" kick their deck chair on my way past. I do add a cheery 'Sorry!' as I continue on.:p

Lisa

I was out there at 6:30 AM on Saturday morning and there one guy passed out in a deck chair - the deck is totally empty, but his chair is blocking 50% of my running lane

so I do what any sane person would do, each time I run past him, I yell and scream

after my third lap he was gone...

Not trying to start anything here ....... but as a former runner (10 marathons) AND experienced cruiser (10+ cruises), I'm going to have to side with the those trying to grab a deck chair, even if they have to move one to where it obstructs part of the track. We all know that the chairs are wedged in there WAY to closely, and that sometimes on sea days getting a chair can be a little rough. Add to that the fact that the direction of the chair you find might mean your back is facing the sun ...... means the chairs need to be moved.

So ...... IMHO ..... get your run in early because after about 11:00 or so, we sun worshipers are taking over. Or....... and as a runner, I know it's a bad word..... but, go hit the TREADMILL ! :eek:

Not trying to start anything here ....... but as a former runner (10 marathons) AND experienced cruiser (10+ cruises), I'm going to have to side with the those trying to grab a deck chair, even if they have to move one to where it obstructs part of the track. We all know that the chairs are wedged in there WAY to closely, and that sometimes on sea days getting a chair can be a little rough. Add to that the fact that the direction of the chair you find might mean your back is facing the sun ...... means the chairs need to be moved.

So ...... IMHO ..... get your run in early because after about 11:00 or so, we sun worshipers are taking over. Or....... and as a runner, I know it's a bad word..... but, go hit the TREADMILL ! :eek:

Ewwww, treadmill I fall off that thing every time, i even tried it once on a cruise and became dizzy sea sick like. Living in the south I never practiced running much on a treadmill, running and air-conditioning just are not supposed to go together.

I do agree there should be a time for the track that it should be for runners and walkers. I never run after 10:30 ( have to eat bfast before it's lunchtime because I can not skip a meal,). but ever at 8 am people like to gather on that track and plan their day.

Oh no, there is just one track and loads of places for chairs just not on the marked track.

On the Indie the chairs around the track were tied up in such a way that they could not be moved onto the track.

The ships provide running tracks for people who enjoy running/walking on them for exercise. There is ample space across two decks for the deck chairs. Anybody who knowingly drags a deck chair onto the jogging track is simply being rude and selfish. It is no different than plopping your deck chair onto a shuffleboard while people are enjoying a game.

A lot of the time people do inadvertendly place their chair onto the track, but then move the chair off the track when they notice joggers/walkers. But the few who put a deck chair there knowing that it is a jogging track are just plain rude.

....... and as a runner, I know it's a bad word..... but, go hit the TREADMILL ! :eek:

I have fallen into the habit of using the treadmill. On Independence, they look forward and we had mostly calm seas so it was little different than the Y at home. On Splendour, one day we were experiencing some rough seas and the treadmills looked to the side. It was really interesting. The roll of the ship built in a little hill work -- felt great.

The ships provide running tracks for people who enjoy running/walking on them for exercise. There is ample space across two decks for the deck chairs. Anybody who knowingly drags a deck chair onto the jogging track is simply being rude and selfish. It is no different than plopping your deck chair onto a shuffleboard while people are enjoying a game.

A lot of the time people do inadvertendly place their chair onto the track, but then move the chair off the track when they notice joggers/walkers. But the few who put a deck chair there knowing that it is a jogging track are just plain rude.

I don't believe RCI has stated anywhere that the jogging track area is for the exclusive use of joggers. Even if it isn't blocked by chairs, by late morning on a sea day it's likely to be so full of people standing, strolling, milling, chatting, etc. that serious running/walking is nearly impossible. Telling someone, especially someone who is serious about it, to do it in the early morning or go to the treadmill is, IMO, good advice. Edited by Mark_K

You are exactly right, don't plan on running at all after 9am. I had to pretty much finish by 8am on my Navigator cruise last year. I got a little jealous when one of the smaller Carnival ships (Glory?) pulled in to Cozumel and I could look down on her track and see no deck chairs!

I hope to go back and run on either Freedom or Liberty. The last time I was on Freedom I was 78 pounds heavier, which I since lost due to running.

Edited by BillOh

On the Indie the chairs around the track were tied up in such a way that they could not be moved onto the track.
I'm guessing the chairs were tied down as much or more so they wouldn't blow or be tossed overboard at night than in respect to the running/walking track.

I see the track / deck as a multipurpose area which as I stated earlier should be and is available to runners / walkers most of the morning, but becomes more of a pool deck in the afternoon.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

On Independence, they look forward and we had mostly calm seas so it was little different than the Y at home. On Splendour, one day we were experiencing some rough seas and the treadmills looked to the side. It was really interesting. The roll of the ship built in a little hill work -- felt great.
Love the treadmills that face forward ....... I think that view is a really cool. Anytime on a ship's treadmill you never really get into that comfortable zone ..... but, I'm just there to knock out a few miles and then get back to the fun ! :D