Barcelona Hotels

jbranch

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is closer to the port rather than the Las Ramblas area. Very luxurious hotel and faces the Mediterranean Sea and on the other side is a large shopping mall with restaurants and a grocery store on the bottom floor. We were able to pick up water and soda, plus some spanish goodies for our transatlantic cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. One of the nicest hotels we have stayed in.

One of my favorite hotels of all time! On the water and walking distance from Las Ramblas.

If you check out the picture in the link, the tower in front of the hotel that looks like an oil rig is actually a lift up to the mountains. BEAUTIFUL hotel. If they still have the romance package, it includes a bottle of cava, chocolate covered strawberries, and an extensive buffet breakfast.

http://www.grandmarinahotel.com/

Great Hotel in a Great Location. Can't go wrong staying here and the rates are usually pretty reasonable. If you want to read my complete review of my stay there, go to tripadvisor dot com and see my review (my handle on there is bsm9034). I also uploaded some pictures of the room, bathroom, lobby, etc.

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is closer to the port rather than the Las Ramblas area. Very luxurious hotel and faces the Mediterranean Sea and on the other side is a large shopping mall with restaurants and a grocery store on the bottom floor. We were able to pick up water and soda, plus some spanish goodies for our transatlantic cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. One of the nicest hotels we have stayed in.

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar as well and would recommend it, especially if you like be away from the tourist trap area of the La Rambles but want to be able to visit easily, i.e., there is a street car that you can take to go across town from the Hilton. Ask the front desk for ininfo.

We also stayed at the Ritz Carlton, The Arts - also on the Mediterranean. Very nice but more expensive then the Hilton.

On the other end of the scale, we stay at a Marriott Renansiance at the Airport, not far from the port. It is easy to get an Airport bus from the airport into the city center from the airport for shopping and visiting Barcelona. All depends on how much you want to spend.

We always stay at the Hotel Continental which is conveniently located right on Las Ramblas within steps of the Metro. I would recommend getting a room with a balcony. While certainly not luxury accommodations by any stretch of the imagination, the hotel is clean and affordable, offers a complimentary breakfast buffet and snack food throughout the day and 24/hr complimentary beverages including beer. :)

This past July, we stayed at the Europark Hotel and it was perfect. It was about a 5 minute walk to Sagrada Familia and a 15 minute walk to Las Ramblas. We noticed it was very easy getting around and the hotel was beautiful.

Hotel Regina, . . . right off of the "top" of La Rambla. We use this a couple of years ago for a pre & post night cruise - excellent.

They are very accommodating for cruise passengers too! We arrive early AM day before departure - I had let them know we would be there early, . . . room was already ready for us for "early check in". Day of boarding, they locked all our bags in the closet so we could tour Barcelona through mid-afternoon - then helped with arrangements to get us to the port (note: you are better off simply going outside and hailing your own cab, . . . cabs that are called start to add lots of "surcharges").

Same deal when we got off the ship. We really like this Hotel.

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar as well and would recommend it, especially if you like be away from the tourist trap area of the La Rambles but want to be able to visit easily, i.e., there is a street car that you can take to go across town from the Hilton. Ask the front desk for ininfo.

We also stayed at the Ritz Carlton, The Arts - also on the Mediterranean. Very nice but more expensive then the Hilton.

On the other end of the scale, we stay at a Marriott Renansiance at the Airport, not far from the port. It is easy to get an Airport bus from the airport into the city center from the airport for shopping and visiting Barcelona. All depends on how much you want to spend.

We also stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar and would recommend it. In addition to what has been said, it has easy access to the hop on hop off bus system.

Hotel Jazz. Modern and great location at top of Las Ramblas but a block and a half away from the action and noise. Great pricing. If you are coming in from the airport, you can take the aero bus and be dropped at University square and walk two blocks to the hotel. Very easy and cost effective!!! No cab required.

Head over to the Barcelona forum and you'll get lots of recs!

Fact is Barcelona is a huge city that is a big tourist area as well as a major convention and business center. Because of this there are lots of hotels. We use sites that have both reviews and maps. If you'd like an area attractive to tourists and walkable then I'd recommend you find the Placa Catalunya on a map like Google Maps and make sure you pick a hotel that is a short walking distance from it.

Placa Catalunya isn't anything special in and of itself but it is sort of in the center of areas that are of interest to tourist with great shopping and touring areas nearby, bus service, metro service and ho-ho buses in the area as well. The Square is at the "top" of Las Ramblas a boulevard area popular with tourists which boarders the old, and interesting, Gothic Quarter and runs from the Placa to the waterfront - about a mile in length.

Anywhere on Las Ramblas is an excellent location, you'll be right in the center of it all. Just back from Barcelona last month and stayed at Hotel Royal Ramblas. Great location right on the Ramblas (we could see the street performers and pet kiosks from our window), steps from the Plaza Catalunya, restaurants, and La Boqueria market. Hotel desk staff left much to be desired (very cold and unhelpful, whether we spoke English or Spanish), but the hotel was clean, comfortable, and offered a great breakfast. I'd return again just for the rooms and location.

Second the suggestion to head over to the Spain forum, and to double-check hotel recommendations on TripAdvisor. Very informative reviews there that give you an idea of what to expect.

We always stay at the Hotel Continental which is conveniently located right on Las Ramblas within steps of the Metro. I would recommend getting a room with a balcony. While certainly not luxury accommodations by any stretch of the imagination, the hotel is clean and affordable, offers a complimentary breakfast buffet and snack food throughout the day and 24/hr complimentary beverages including beer. :)

I whole-heartedly agree with both the hotel and balcony recommendations. But you must like pink (or at least accept it) as that is the color on all the balcony rooms we've stayed in. The rates are reasonable and the hotel staff are very helpful.

Apsis Atrium Palace worked well for us-- could walk almost anywhere--much quieter area than las Ramblas (where stayed there post cruise & did not sleep very well due to noise issues) .. stayed at Arium palace 2 days & saw the Gaudi bldgs, old part of the city, etc etc..

Atrium palace has free internet, a good breakfast deal, tiny indoor pool, & a great pizza/ital rest a few doors away with nightly specials--near other eateries too & also a nice little neighborhood market

a nice place to eat on las Ramblas was the Attic--they have a website..

I whole-heartedly agree with both the hotel and balcony recommendations. But you must like pink (or at least accept it) as that is the color on all the balcony rooms we've stayed in. The rates are reasonable and the hotel staff are very helpful.

Still another thumbs up for the Continental and a strong recommendation for a balcony overlooking La Rambla. The free tap beer and wine aren't premium, but what the heck, the cost is right.

The decor definitely takes some getting use to. But after a few of those complimentary beers it looks just fine to me. :)

Archived