Should we do it? Upgrade to guarantee balcony?

A guarantee balcony is open for only $500 more than our original price for inside. Is it worth it? and I am skittish about the "guarantee". What is the chance we will get one of the four balcony rooms with "limited sea view and one window out to the balcony"!!?? HELP!

A guarantee balcony is open for only $500 more than our original price for inside. Is it worth it? and I am skittish about the "guarantee". What is the chance we will get one of the four balcony rooms with "limited sea view and one window out to the balcony"!!?? HELP!

What ship? What date? What itinerary?

:cool: If you cannot afford a regular balcony on all your future cruises, do not do this. Once you taste a balcony, you will never be happy going back to an inside. First 7 cruises were inside. Never could justify the extra $$$ when I figured that I would only be in room for sleeping, changing etc. Once I hit a balcony it changed my world. Balcony, to Jr. Suite to GS.:cool:LOL

We are never in our room so $500 more for a balcony would not be worth it. Can use that extra $500 toward my onboard bill :D
Thats because you don't have a balcony.:D I have sailed in all types of cabins and always deside on the price difference for me $72 a day is a bit much.

We are never in our room so $500 more for a balcony would not be worth it. Can use that extra $500 toward my onboard bill :D

Tried to justify it for my upcoming Radiance cruise and this is what I came up with as well. The difference in an balcony and an inside cabin on my particular cruise will pay my sea pass bill, my hotel AND my gas to Tampa and back.

I figure if I just stay in lowly steerage, I will never know what Im missing and will be able to cruise more often :)

Now if I ever go on an Alaskan cruise, I will certainly consider a balcony.

We did the balcony gaurantee switch on last cruise. But difference from our inside was only $82 each (so $164 total) and was a no brainer. Only downside was going from inside handicap cabin to regular balcony and wife's wheelchair was a real hassle because it did not fit through the door. She can walk enough to go to hallway where I unfolded it. But having the balcony was by far worth the bit of inconvenience. And we lucked out and got a deck 9 not too far forward location (and fairly calm seas for N. Atlantic).

At $500 we would definitely not have changed. This next cruise we have HC Balcony and my parents have adjacent HC balcony. We could have had inside HC but since the folks are paying for the cruise my brothers and I are paying to upgrade them (they don't know it yet). So to all be together we opted for balcony from the start. Difference though was $335/pp so $670 total.

At $500 for gaurantee I would question how close that is to a just just plain balcony booking where you can pick location. I think my "strike point" on a gaurantee would be closer to $100-125/pp difference or less.

:cool: If you cannot afford a regular balcony on all your future cruises, do not do this. Once you taste a balcony, you will never be happy going back to an inside. First 7 cruises were inside. Never could justify the extra $$$ when I figured that I would only be in room for sleeping, changing etc. Once I hit a balcony it changed my world. Balcony, to Jr. Suite to GS.:cool:LOL

I'm always amused by those who say that once you taste balcony you'll never go back. I've done everything from an inside to a junior suite. Sure, I'd prefer a balcony or suite if the price is right. But I'd rather save the money for excursions or another cruise. $500 can be a lot of money. If you can afford it with no regrets - sure, go for it! If you think the money can be better spent, stick with the room you got. I got a junior suite for the Liberty 3-night because the price was perfect and there are 3 of u s in one room. Next three cruises, back to insides. It's all priority, I rather be able to do multiple cruises with inside rooms, then only one cruise in a balcony/suite. someone's gotta pay the mortgage! :D

I've been tempted to upgrade to balcony on the Oasis for $500 more, but my husband just reminds me that the money saved will be for nice dinners, drinks, etc.

Archived