Anyone Use the Bus?

LostFan#1

Has anyone used the public or private buses in Barbados? I have plenty of info. on cost and where to find them but Fodor's calls the gov't bus system "unreliable," whereas Frommer's calls both public and private buses "efficient, inexpensive, and plentiful." Whom to believe?

Husband and I are taking the Silvermoon turtle and shipwreck excursion at 9:30 and afterwards would like to board a bus to Brighton Beach, avoiding a costly taxi. But we'd like input - is this a good plan? The guide books say the buses run every 20 minutes. Is that accurate?

Thanks for any help.

Debbie

The island's bus system(generally..) is reliable and regular along the two main coastal routes..

West Coast running North to Speightstown(our second town)

and along the South Coast, to Oistins, our fishing town.

Other central-island areas might be considered unreliable (less frequent service)

but the truth is I think most cruise-visitors are interested in doing either South or West coast trips.

I wouldn't recommend doing the bus out to far-flung spots like Crane, Bottom Bay, Bathsheba, Harrisons Caves,mind you...

but to West Coast beaches like Paynes Bay, Holetown, Mullins, you should be OK

and likewise anywhere along the South Coast out as far as Oistins/'Miami Beach'.

And if you don't catch one of the big blue-and-yellow Government buses run by Transport Board

you might catch one of the smaller yellow-and-blue private buses

or one of the maroon-striped minivans(but they can be awfully crowded and very 'local'!) :D

Hope this helps?

Generally speaking, the Govt. service and the privateers tend to compliment ea.other

and locals get where they're going OK! -- It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Has anyone used the public or private buses in Barbados? I have plenty of info. on cost and where to find them but Fodor's calls the gov't bus system "unreliable," whereas Frommer's calls both public and private buses "efficient, inexpensive, and plentiful." Whom to believe?

Husband and I are taking the Silvermoon turtle and shipwreck excursion at 9:30 and afterwards would like to board a bus to Brighton Beach, avoiding a costly taxi. But we'd like input - is this a good plan? The guide books say the buses run every 20 minutes. Is that accurate?

Thanks for any help.

Debbie

We had no trouble taking the bus to paynes bay and back

• 3 weeks later...

If time is a factor, and I assume it is, then take the ZR buses. They are usually Toyota minivans packed with people (mostly locals, but tourists also) and loud music. They will stop anywhere, anytime for $1.50 BDS. Way faster than taking the regular bus. Very safe, and a much more 'local' experience. The routes are marked on the van, but just tell the driver where you are going and he'll let you know if that's the right van. The regular bus can take a lot longer sometimes.

If you are up to it you can actually walk to Brighton/Brandons/Weisers Beach from the port. These are all the same place but people use the names interchangeably.:)

Keith, about how far away is the beach from the port? My Husband and I like to walk- so this would be a nice way to see and do. Also, which way should we go when we leave the port. Directions are always nice. Thanks!

Gabrielle

Thanks for any help.

Debbie

Debbie, we did the Silvermoon a couple of years ago. Excellent excursion, enjoy.

Jo-Anne

Keith, about how far away is the beach from the port? My Husband and I like to walk- so this would be a nice way to see and do. Also, which way should we go when we leave the port. Directions are always nice. Thanks!

Gabrielle

Brandons Beach is the closest and just about across from Mt. Gay Rum Distillery. It's about a little over a 1 mile.

From the Terminal area, turn left, heading east.

Take first left to President Kennedy Drive; Take first left on Spring Garden Hwy; It's about .7 miles on your left. Brighton Beach is further along Spring Garden Hwy.

We took the bus from the main terminal in Bridgetown to Crane. It was on a Sunday and we had no problems. We left the beach at about 2:30 to make sure we had plenty of time to get back. Took about 15 minutes waiting for the bus on the return. We tagged along with some people who had taken the bus to Crane before, don't know if we would have figured it out without their help. We are going to try it again on our own in November.

We have taked the bus up the west coast to the beaches around Holetown several times with no problems, it's very easy!

brandons beach is the closest and just about across from mt. Gay rum distillery. It's about a little over a 1 mile.

From the terminal area, turn left, heading east.

Take first left to president kennedy drive; take first left on spring garden hwy; it's about .7 miles on your left. Brighton beach is further along spring garden hwy.

thanks!!!

Archived