The most Awkard moment during dinner

chrisxmoa

At dinner one night, after a day of swimming and snorkeling, I mentioned that I got too much sun.

An elderly widow, who has been very vivacious and outgoing, remarked that she has always been able to tan very quickly. To prove her point, she pulls down on her dress and exposes her left girlfriend to show us all her tanlines. :eek:

What can you do or say then, except um, yeah, you do indeed tan very well... :rolleyes:

For an older gal, it really wasn't too bad. ;)

It seems to me likely that the lady is dealing with mental illness. If the accompaniment of a teddy bear enables her to travel on cruises, I say more power to her. The teddy is certainly easier to take care of than a service dog.

Bill

Our last Princess cruise, we were back-to-back and arrived in the dining room to find we were seated at a table for 10 with 9 women (including me). DH was the only gentleman. I think the Maitre d' could have done a little better choosing our seating. That was One of many reasons that was probably our last Princess cruise.

Second week wasn't a whole lot better. We asked to be seated in a different location as we didn't enjoy that table's placement but Maitre d' refused. :( Talk about a guy on a power trip....... He sure did float by looking for a tip at the end of our cruise though.

A couple of years ago we had anytime dinning and were seated at a table for 6.

Everyone looked normal but one couple were a bit over weight. This was formal night and lobster night. Waiter came to take orders and asked (Miss Piggy) what she wanted, she order 4 lobsters "no potatoes and no vegies". The waiter did not what to do and ran and got the Head waiter. The Head Waiter asked again and the same answer. He told the waiter to give her what she wanted.

Well she got her lobsters. The shrimp she gave to her husband. Now for the butter. It was dripping down her dress, on her hands and face. What a site and I was sitting next to this mess. Now for dessert. The waiter ask for her dessert order. "I will have 2 more lobsters and NO shrimp".

This is why I name the couple Miss Piggy and Mr. Hog. Thank goodness we never seat with them again.

My husband and I did AD on the Emerald last year but due to time constraints we agreed to share a table one night. Everyone was sharing their shore excursion experiences for the day. We were doing a ten day Southern Caribbean itinerary and we like to spend most of our time on the beach which was the excursion we had done that day. As other couples shared one of the husbands said he didn't like beaches because of the way the sand felt between his toes. Hello!! It was a Caribbean cruise. Talk about awkward....

:D

Um, I dont like beaches either, they are dirty adn gross. I cant wait to go to the caribean though. We are going hiking at the ports adn other stuff! NOT EVERYONE likes what you like and you shouldnt assume that just because its a caribean cruise everyone likes beachs. my wife adn I are not fans!

Um, I dont like beaches either, they are dirty adn gross. I cant wait to go to the caribean though. We are going hiking at the ports adn other stuff! NOT EVERYONE likes what you like and you shouldnt assume that just because its a caribean cruise everyone likes beachs. my wife adn I are not fans!

lollll...

Well, our story isn't as good as most of these, but I'd like to contribute what we do have as it's kind of cute.

We were at a table of four and our dinner guests were the most personable pair we have ever met on a cruise. Our companions were two VERY large African American female partners (both bus drivers) from Kentucky. Most nights they ordered the most conservative American dishes on the menu. They were always very complimentary of the food and by the second night we had talked them into sharing glasses of wine with us every evening (we purchased the wine package). They were wonderful dinner guests and we very much looked forward to dining with them every evening.

Well, one night the menu featured escargot, which we love. When the ladies from Kentucky asked what escargot was, we informed them that escargot was actually snails. They seemed stunned, but certainly not judgmental of our tastes.

When the plates arrived I tried enthusiastically multiple times to convince the ladies to please sample the escargot, as they might really enjoy the experience.

One of our rather conservative dinner companions set her fork on her plate, pointed with both fingers at her own face and rather loudly proclaimed,

"Look at my face, does THIS face look like it would eat snails!"

these stories are fantastic ! keep em coming !

You need to compile a complete "worst of the worst' or "best of the best" for a single upload... these are GREAT.

Heck, I'd even add the 'before' (a couple days before) on my "moon" - where I was moon'ed by the same guy (earlier) and everyone just laughed and said I made it up, till the night at the Sterling.... and I know the "lady" who sat next to me (with the potato 'toss' -- still keep in-touch) who can post as a CC member and attest to the Sterling Steakhouse 'full-moon'.

Dan

This was a very awkward moment last week on the Emerald, not at dinner but at breakfast in the Horizon. It was Friday morning, Cozumel, very busy so people were sitting at tables with strangers. My DH and I are sitting at a table for 6 and the attendant asks if we mind if others join us. Well no problem, along comes a couple with their plates heaped with food and 4 cups of yogart each. The man proceeds to eat while the woman starts making sandwiches. No big deal so she is having a cheese sandwich for breakfast, European, thats what they eat. WOW she is hungry, she makes six sandwiches, has 3 danishes and 4 cups of yogart. She asks the attendant for extra napkins and proceeds to wrap her freshly made cheese sandwiches in the napkins and puts them in her back pack along with 2 danishes and the 8 cups of yogart. She eats one danish and then takes food off her husbands plate, wraps that up and shoves it to in her back pack.

My DH and I are in a bit of shock, the couple did not so much acknowledge us. She grabs my bottle of water (she must have forgot she didnt bring her own water to the table as she didnt have enough hands to carry it because she had 2 plates of food for her picnic lunch on the beach) and leaves the table with her husband close behind.

So very strange.:o

We saw something very similar on the Dream last year. Sitting in the buffet getting a quick breakfast before an excursion, Asian couple sits down, just the two of them. He has two trays heaped with cut up fruit and containers of yogurt, uncut fruit, rice, etc. She takes out a tote bag filled with tupperware and butter containers and proceeds to fill them all with food, pack them in the tote bag and off they go. They had enough food in there for at least 4 people.

A very earnest young man once filled an awkward pause in the conversation by asking the 7 other people at the table "have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into your life as your Saviour?" It got VERY awkward after that :cool:

This reminds me of the time when we were seated next to this French couple on our honeymoon cruise, the husband of whom decided that I looked like the kind of person who was responsible for and had the answers to all of the problems/questions he had about the Presidential race that was currently in progress (Sarah Palin was nominated as the VP candidate during our cruise, and this guy started trying to interrogate me about it, and complain about "what's wrong with America and American politics"). I kept trying to cut the conversation off and focus back on my husband, but this guy was extremely persistent -- it felt like every time DH and I would be chewing our food (and thus not talking to each other) this guy would decide that meant I was ready for his next question/complaint!

Dani,, french people love to discuss politics, and do not find it rude,, so perhaps a cultural misstep? Europeons in general love to discuss politics and seem to be able to agree to disagree about things without getting personally offended. Frankly, Americans are not good at this at all. If you say you didn't like Bush, or that you don't like Obama to an certain Americans they act like you just told them to stuff themselves.. its kind of weird.

We usually chose to dine at tables for two but one morning for breakfast in the dining room we were in a particular hurry to get ashore so agreed to dine at a table for eight as we could get seated right away. All was going well until one couple mentioned their son had recently been released after spending time in a drug rehab facility. It was a bit of an ackward moment and we were trying to change the conversation topic until the others all chimed in. Turned out the other two couples had family members also with major drug abuse problems. After about 20 minutes of each person seeming to try to out do the others with the severity of the abuse issues with extremely intimate details disclosed we decided to excuse ourselves without finishing the meal. I still cannot believe people would discuss some of those items in front of total strangers. Since that meal we wait for a table by ourselves or dine elsewhere.

So six out of eight people were comfortable with the topic,, its not really anything to be embarrassed about you know,, I mean you may not have shared their common bond, but its not like they should have been ashamed. And as for talking about it in front of strangers, they were all likely relieved to be able to find all the other couples but you were in same boat(so to speak) .

well, our story isn't as good as most of these, but i'd like to contribute what we do have as it's kind of cute.

We were at a table of four and our dinner guests were the most personable pair we have ever met on a cruise. Our companions were two very large african american female partners (both bus drivers) from kentucky. Most nights they ordered the most conservative american dishes on the menu. They were always very complimentary of the food and by the second night we had talked them into sharing glasses of wine with us every evening (we purchased the wine package). They were wonderful dinner guests and we very much looked forward to dining with them every evening.

Well, one night the menu featured escargot, which we love. When the ladies from kentucky asked what escargot was, we informed them that escargot was actually snails. They seemed stunned, but certainly not judgmental of our tastes.

When the plates arrived i tried enthusiastically multiple times to convince the ladies to please sample the escargot, as they might really enjoy the experience.

One of our rather conservative dinner companions set her fork on her plate, pointed with both fingers at her own face and rather loudly proclaimed,

"look at my face, does this face look like it would eat snails!"

howling rofl!

A very earnest young man once filled an awkward pause in the conversation by asking the 7 other people at the table "have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into your life as your Saviour?" It got VERY awkward after that :cool:

I'm a preacher and that is awkward to me!!:eek:

We always ask for and 90% of the time get a table for two.

Once, we got a table for 8 and the other 6 people were our ages. No fun sitting with "old" people. :D

Once we were seated (table for 4) with two Russian ladies who attached themselves to us for a couple of ports. We enjoyed helping them.

Once at a table for 4, we hooked up with a couple who probably had half the money that Carlos Slim has. Nice, interesting people who invited us to see their suite. We still email them now and then.

The strangest experience was when we went to a formal night on RC and at the table next to us (table for 8 or 10), one guy came in a Hawaiian print shirt, shorts and reasonably unkempt. He must have been proving a point but showing class, he was "accepted" at the table by the other guests.

That's it.

On one of our Caribbean cruises a few years ago the four of us were seated with a rather unusual couple. He wore a bad toupee that had a "curl" that hung down over his forehead.

Each night we'd go to dinner and the toup would be at a slightly different angle but that curl seemed to be glued to the same spot. We behaved ourselves (ok, except for the bets we made about which direction the hair would be hanging.) each and every night and listened to him talk extensively about his model train collection (fascinating stuff...) but it was so hard to look at him and keep a straight face. It wasn't any easier to look at the wife; She had a very "floral" polyester wardrobe and was rather terse. We still talk about them.........

These posts have been GREAT! --- Ah, now for my most awkward dining experience…. Well, also one of my funniest – still makes me laugh.

We were on the Royal having a last-night special dinner in the Sterling Steakhouse. The lady next to me had just placed her fork into her baked potato when the gentleman seated at the table across from us decided to stand-up. Oddly enough, when he stood, his pants remained stuck to the chair (I have no idea how this was accomplished – but then, he was wearing semi-baggy shorts to the Sterling, which we thought was odd to start with) and he ended up providing us with a rather ample ‘full-moon’ of his behind (no – there was no under-garment noted…..). My jaw dropped, but the lady next to me quickly pulled her hands back to cover her mouth, and in the process of doing so, hurled her baked potato a good 25 feet across the dining room (almost hitting a waiter on the broadside). I’d love to tell you that the ‘gentleman mooner’ was embarrassed, but – well,,, I can’t. He just hiked up his pants like nothing happened and walked on out of the dining room. My DH was on the side of the table with her back to the ‘event’ – and never saw a thing, but the staff upheld our story (having seen it too). The lady next to me ended up with a new potato and both of us ended up with a dining experience we hope will never be exceeded.

I'm reading this while having a snack lunch - it's a good job I'm not sharing a table with anyone because it just went all over!!!:D

We always ask for and 90% of the time get a table for two.

Once, we got a table for 8 and the other 6 people were our ages. No fun sitting with "old" people. :D

Once we were seated (table for 4) with two Russian ladies who attached themselves to us for a couple of ports. We enjoyed helping them.

Once at a table for 4, we hooked up with a couple who probably had half the money that Carlos Slim has. Nice, interesting people who invited us to see their suite. We still email them now and then.

The strangest experience was when we went to a formal night on RC and at the table next to us (table for 8 or 10), one guy came in a Hawaiian print shirt, shorts and reasonably unkempt. He must have been proving a point but showing class, he was "accepted" at the table by the other guests.

That's it.

lol the concept of being socially "accepted" is almost like as if we were being time warped back to high school.

Our strangest experience in the MDR was when going to dinner the 1st night, we were being led to our table which was to be an 8 top rectangular table next to a window.

As we approached the table there were already 6 people seated at the table. We got almost to the table and when it became apparent to the lady sitting on the end, she jumped up snapped her fingers in a big Z pattern in front of her and loudly proclaimed "Oh no! I don't think so"

Now my sister and I are just a couple of fluffy middle aged women and I think we look pretty regular. I'm not really sure what this woman's objection was to us.

After the loud protest the waiter that was seating us turned so abruptly that he almost knocked me down and we returned to the podium. The waiter whispered to the MD what had happened and the MD said "What!" and started appologizing for the seating mixup. He said to give him a minute and he would re-seat us......which he did after appologizing all the way across the DR and offerring us a bottle of wine.......which I thought was very nice, but we declined because when he offerred it we were at our new table and 2 elderly ladies were seated at that table. When they heard him offer the wine, one of the loudly cleared her throat and said that "We don't think drinking is appropriate" so we declined.

Sister was so embarassed by the whole situation we didn't go back to the MDR for the rest of that cruise which was the 1st leg of a B2B, so toward the end of that cruise I went to the MD to see if we could get a table for 2 for the next week. He said pick which ever one you want, so I did and we had a bottle of wine waiting for us every evening the next week.

which he did after appologizing all the way across the DR and offerring us a bottle of wine.......which I thought was very nice, but we declined because when he offerred it we were at our new table and 2 elderly ladies were seated at that table. When they heard him offer the wine, one of the loudly cleared her throat and said that "We don't think drinking is appropriate" so we declined.

To which I would have responded "and I don't think we asked what you think is appropriate, nor do we care."

If they truly believed drinking to be inappropriate, what are they doing on a cruise ship?

My story isn't at the dinner table but breakfast. Aboard the Diamond Princess to Hawaii and a table for 8 and breakfast chatter had been interesting until the young female server asked if anybody would like anything else such as more toast, coffee, etc. The husband says he would like some grapefruit juice and his wife exploded and yelled "Don't bring him any" and looked across at the table and said he takes medication and he's not supposed to have it. The poor little server is standing there and the husband says, "I want grapefruit juice" and the wife says no again. That poor little girl looked like she was at a tennis match (darting looks at the husband and wife) and we're all looking at our watches and I jumped up and said, "Oh excuse me, I just noticed the time and I'll miss the morning lecture if I don't get moving". Everybody else did likewise. This arguing couple were the bridge instructors and apparently they bickered constantly (even through the bridge sessions). The next day I was speaking with one of the Assist. Cruise Directors and told her the story and she was appalled and said she would tell the Cruise Director. I said it bothered me for two reasons, one it was downright embarassing to witness it and two they were Canadian like me and I was ashamed that a fellow Canadian would behave that way. The Assist. CD said so am I, I'm Canadian.

My DH managed to create an awkward moment for the entire dining room (or at least our corner of it)

It was our first cruise. We don't drink much so went to the wine tasting to expand our experiences. They were also trying to sell a wine called "Opus" (I'll never forget that name).

That night the the Matre'd asked if anyone went to the wine tasting. DH held up his hand. He was asked how he liked "Opus". Well DH was honest and said he didn't like it! You could have heard a pin drop until the Matre'd went on to talk about the wine. :o

BTW we do enjoy wine more now.

Archived