The most Awkard moment during dinner

chrisxmoa

Years ago my best friend and I cruised on the beautiful Norway and we were seated with 2 older couples from Texas. We had the best time with them. We were alot younger than them so they sorta watched out for us.

If you can imagine, their business was oil so they were what I call "loaded".

The day we were in St Thomas shopping I wanted to buy something to remember being there. So, my bff and I shopped in St Thomas and I picked out these really pretty 14kt gold hoop earrings. Can't remember the price but I can assure you they weren't expensive.

That night at dinner we all came together to talk about our day and what we bought etc. I had my spanking brand new earrings on and thought I was going to show off a little.

Thank goodness I ask first what they had bought and one of the ladies whips out her wrist and on it was this diamond bracelet with hunks not chips of diamonds all the way around it that her husband had purchased for her. No telling what it cost. I just about gagged on my wine and then she ask "what did you buy?" Needless to say I was too mortified to even show her my earrings. LOL

But I still have the earrings and laugh about it often when I wear them...

This one isnt as great as some of the other ones, and it brought a good laugh! We were on the Eurodam and DD brought a friend. The first night was a bit rough, and when the waiter brought out DD's friend's ice cream, the boat hit a big wave and the waiter lost his balance and dropped the ice cream in her lap:eek:! It was a good thing she had a napkin in her lap! (She also later told DD that the ice cream was VERY COLD!)

A couple of years ago we had anytime dinning and were seated at a table for 6.

Everyone looked normal but one couple were a bit over weight. This was formal night and lobster night. Waiter came to take orders and asked (Miss Piggy) what she wanted, she order 4 lobsters "no potatoes and no vegies". The waiter did not what to do and ran and got the Head waiter. The Head Waiter asked again and the same answer. He told the waiter to give her what she wanted.

Well she got her lobsters. The shrimp she gave to her husband. Now for the butter. It was dripping down her dress, on her hands and face. What a site and I was sitting next to this mess. Now for dessert. The waiter ask for her dessert order. "I will have 2 more lobsters and NO shrimp".

This is why I name the couple Miss Piggy and Mr. Hog. Thank goodness we never seat with them again.

While the woman's eating technique may have been unsettling, her choice is perfectly correct if she was applying the Atkins Diet to her condition. Protein and fat, yes, but no or few carbs.

Alli Cruiser: I read on another thread that you stayed in stateroom R748 on the Crown Princess last December. We are booked in the same cabin this December. How did you like the cabin? Do you have any pictures of it? I heard it is the smalled oceanview cabin. Any thoughts?

I can be contacted on the Princess Roll call for the Crown Princess Dec 23rd cruise, or I will also check this thread.

Thanks very much.

I was always taught that you take it out of your mouth the same way you put it in there. If you put the meat in your mouth with a fork, then you discreetly deposit it back onto the fork,

I was taught that any unedible food removed from my mouth should exit by the same means it was introduced.

This evening we were at dinner and while drinking my iced tea got a lemon seed in my mouth. Having remembered this tip I removed the straw (which is how the seed got in my mouth in the first place), aimed it across the dining room and discreetly blasted the offending bit away.

The gentleman that it hit was 4 tables away and had no idea where it came from. So, all's well.

Thanks for the tip,

Charlie

This evening we were at dinner and while drinking my iced tea got a lemon seed in my mouth. Having remembered this tip I removed the straw (which is how the seed got in my mouth in the first place), aimed it across the dining room and discreetly blasted the offending bit away.

The gentleman that it hit was 4 tables away and had no idea where it came from. So, all's well.

Thanks for the tip,

Charlie

Love it~!!! :D Thank you for the laugh, Charlie~!

This was a very awkward moment last week on the Emerald, not at dinner but at breakfast in the Horizon. It was Friday morning, Cozumel, very busy so people were sitting at tables with strangers. My DH and I are sitting at a table for 6 and the attendant asks if we mind if others join us. Well no problem, along comes a couple with their plates heaped with food and 4 cups of yogart each. The man proceeds to eat while the woman starts making sandwiches. No big deal so she is having a cheese sandwich for breakfast, European, thats what they eat. WOW she is hungry, she makes six sandwiches, has 3 danishes and 4 cups of yogart. She asks the attendant for extra napkins and proceeds to wrap her freshly made cheese sandwiches in the napkins and puts them in her back pack along with 2 danishes and the 8 cups of yogart. She eats one danish and then takes food off her husbands plate, wraps that up and shoves it to in her back pack.

My DH and I are in a bit of shock, the couple did not so much acknowledge us. She grabs my bottle of water (she must have forgot she didnt bring her own water to the table as she didnt have enough hands to carry it because she had 2 plates of food for her picnic lunch on the beach) and leaves the table with her husband close behind.

So very strange.:o

We saw something very similar on the Dream last year. Sitting in the buffet getting a quick breakfast before an excursion, Asian couple sits down, just the two of them. He has two trays heaped with cut up fruit and containers of yogurt, uncut fruit, rice, etc. She takes out a tote bag filled with tupperware and butter containers and proceeds to fill them all with food, pack them in the tote bag and off they go. They had enough food in there for at least 4 people.

I guess these are people who can't be bothered to pay attention to the "No fresh food may be taken off the ship" reminders. I wonder how they enjoyed having it all taken away and tossed out at when they disembarked. Mexico in particular is a country that has strict agricultural laws and enforces them. A fine for the first offense is not at all unusual.

My husband and I did AD on the Emerald last year but due to time constraints we agreed to share a table one night. Everyone was sharing their shore excursion experiences for the day. We were doing a ten day Southern Caribbean itinerary and we like to spend most of our time on the beach which was the excursion we had done that day. As other couples shared one of the husbands said he didn't like beaches because of the way the sand felt between his toes. Hello!! It was a Caribbean cruise. Talk about awkward....

:D

I don't get how that's awkward. There's so much to see and do in the Caribbean that does not involve the beach. So the guy didn't like the beach and explained one reason why. Doesn't make him wrong and has nothing to do with the fact that it's the Caribbean.

I think this man was at our table. He kept putting his hand on my arm to get my attention if I turned my attention to my plate or someone else.

We've been on two different cruise where the husband would order his wife's food. They would have a lenghty dicussion about the menu. The wife would point out what she liked, the husband would point out that the dish was fattening or that it didn't appeal to him, etc. Bottom line, he would order what HE wanted her to eat...... the lest fattening dishes on the menu. When it was time for dessert, most of the time he would tell her she didn't need any. On one of the cruises, on the last night the wife ordered dessert after he said, again, that she didn't need any. Boy, the look she got from him! By the way, these women were in great shape...........I wonder why!

I can't imagine having a husband who was that controlling. I'd smack him upside the head...No wait, I'd never be married to him in the first place. Yes, sitting there during that sort of thing would be awkward for me. But I have to wonder why you assume the reason the women were in good shape is because their husbands decided what they could and could not eat. I mean, women are capable of being in shape (eating right, exercising, "splurging" sometimes without overdoing it, etc.) without someone else controlling their behavior.

The first time I went on a luxury cruise, my husband and I were seated in the dining room on the first evening when a man I recognized walked by on the way to his table.

He said very loudly "I'm going to tell your boss that he is paying you too much. There is no reason for you to be on a cruise like this." I think half the dining room was embarrassed for us.

He wasn't kidding.

Fortunately my boss knew that it was a 25th anniversary cruise for us and a celebration.

What a complete and utter unmitigated idiot! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I bet you were tempted to say something like, "And what are you doing here? I always thought ships like this attracted classy, refined people--not the likes of you." IMO, you don't have to justify your choices to anyone, not even your boss!

To which I would have responded "and I don't think we asked what you think is appropriate, nor do we care."

If they truly believed drinking to be inappropriate, what are they doing on a cruise ship?

I fear my response would have been along the lines of "Oh, I'm so glad. That means you won't expect us to share--More for me!":p

beachchick

Good grief, if someone announced that drinking wine with dinner is "inappropriate" I'd probably order a second bottle and drink that too. If you are teetotal for whatever reason that's absolutely fine with me but making a big deal about it and making others feel uncomfortable in the process is just rude IMO.

On one of our Caribbean cruises a few years ago the four of us were seated with a rather unusual couple. He wore a bad toupee that had a "curl" that hung down over his forehead.

Each night we'd go to dinner and the toup would be at a slightly different angle but that curl seemed to be glued to the same spot. We behaved ourselves (ok, except for the bets we made about which direction the hair would be hanging.) each and every night and listened to him talk extensively about his model train collection (fascinating stuff...) but it was so hard to look at him and keep a straight face. It wasn't any easier to look at the wife; She had a very "floral" polyester wardrobe and was rather terse. We still talk about them.........

Now see, these are the kind of people you remember ;)

Being a former mens hairstylist and shop owner, I find this very amusing. One of our employees dealt mainly with hair pieces and all of them looked pretty much this way. I would dissuade my clients from getting one and would eventually style all the thin on top guys out of their comb-overs. Those can be pretty amusing in the wind, though.

To all the men with male pattern baldness, I'm sorry it's leaving you, but the majority of women prefer you just to be bald. Comb-overs and hair pieces are just so obvious. While you're at it, stop trying to dye your grey hair back to the color of your youth (this goes for women as well).

We have had several wild or embarrassing moment on cruise ships, but I don't think we could top the full moon potato story :D

Total silence from our table mates. My sister and I were cruising the Panama Canal. We were 27 and 25 years old. One woman was in her 70's and the other couple were in their mid to late 50's.

We just sat there. My sister and I tried to get the conversation going, but no one would answer. They would just stare down at their plates. It was awful.

After three nights of that, we didn't go back to the dining room. Some people just don't have much in the way of social graces.

This happened to us once when we cruised with our kids. They sat us with a family of 5 at a long rectangular table. My least favorite type of seating, especially at a table that large. The family sat directly across from us, never saying a word and watching/listening to everything we said. Except, the teenage daughter would lean over and whisper into her mothers ear at times, never taking her eyes off of us.

It was a short (thank goodness) cruise, so we only had to endure it for 4 nights.

The worst part was they were in the cabin next door to us and the father was a chain smoker. The smoke smell filled our cabin, I can only wonder at how choked up their kids must have been. I wondered if they put their ears to the walls to try and hear our conversation in the cabin as well.

A very earnest young man once filled an awkward pause in the conversation by asking the 7 other people at the table "have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into your life as your Saviour?" It got VERY awkward after that :cool:

My response would have been the same as the late George Carlin would have made.

"I gave up on Imaginary Friends when I was seven years old." Some may think this is flippant, but the person asking if I believed is so arrogant and obnoxious, that flippancy is the only acceptable response in my opinion.

We have always been lucky with our table mates. However, during our first cruise, we were in the dining room for lunch and there was a man at a table next to ours that was bragging (very loudly) about winning the cruise. He was telling everyone that he was drinking as much as he could and didn't have a way to pay for it (I don't know how he got on the cruise without a credit card). He kept saying there wasn't anything that they could do to him when he got off the ship and couldn't pay his bill. He also didn't bring any luggage with him. He wore the same pair sweats (he bragged about that also), with big holes in them, the entire 4-night cruise (I saw hime several times after the lunch and he had the same sweats on each time). I felt very fortunate that he wasn't one of our table mates.

We have always been lucky with our table mates. However, during our first cruise, we were in the dining room for lunch and there was a man at a table next to ours that was bragging (very loudly) about winning the cruise. He was telling everyone that he was drinking as much as he could and didn't have a way to pay for it (I don't know how he got on the cruise without a credit card). He kept saying there wasn't anything that they could do to him when he got off the ship and couldn't pay his bill. He also didn't bring any luggage with him. He wore the same pair sweats (he bragged about that also), with big holes in them, the entire 4-night cruise (I saw hime several times after the lunch and he had the same sweats on each time). I felt very fortunate that he wasn't one of our table mates.

I believe that before they will let you off the ship you have to sign a promissory note that they will collect like a bad debt. So, if you want to keep a decent credit rating, you will make it good.

Over the years, I have surely dropped the ball numerous times in the "Southern Lady" department -- but, I WAS raised to be one. Part of that instruction was:

1) A lady never discusses religion or politics in public, and

2) A lady never offends anyone -- unintentionally!

;)

Mapsmith, I am a follower of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Don't you love it.

In all seriousness, you are exactly right. Religion, politics and money are not topics the should be discussed.

Stick to travel info........................

ciao for now

The awkward turn this thread has suddenly taken (for which I apologise for being partly responsible) is a perfect illustration why religion is never a good subject to discuss with strangers over dinner or anywhere else for that matter.

Archived