The most Awkard moment during dinner

chrisxmoa

We were docking in Key West for the day, and were seated with a couple and their son for breakfast. The wife assured us we would like Key West because "the gays have really cuted up the place", but we wouldn't be able to find any junk food because "they won't put that in their bodies." We were speechless.

My DH managed to create an awkward moment for the entire dining room (or at least our corner of it)

It was our first cruise. We don't drink much so went to the wine tasting to expand our experiences. They were also trying to sell a wine called "Opus" (I'll never forget that name).

That night the the Matre'd asked if anyone went to the wine tasting. DH held up his hand. He was asked how he liked "Opus". Well DH was honest and said he didn't like it! You could have heard a pin drop until the Matre'd went on to talk about the wine. :o

BTW we do enjoy wine more now.

Why not answer truthfully if you didn't really like the wine? We always go to the wine tasting event & both my wife & myself give our wine to anyone at the table. We dislike most of their wines & drink only select few (cheap at that) that Princess doesn't carry.

. . . The husband says he would like some grapefruit juice and his wife exploded and yelled "Don't bring him any" and looked across at the table and said he takes medication and he's not supposed to have it.

Just some insight that makes your story even more funny.

The labels on "vitamin C" (made just for men ;) ) have strict warnings about consuming grapefruit juice.

Why not answer truthfully if you didn't really like the wine? We always go to the wine tasting event & both my wife & myself give our wine to anyone at the table. We dislike most of their wines & drink only select few (cheap at that) that Princess doesn't carry.

It wasn't really a fair appraisal since at the time we did not like red wines at all. He didn't really have a chance to explain.

We were at the dinner table-it for 8 people, 3 couples show up 1st night, 1 pair is missing. Same on the second night. 3rd night, we 6 were invited to dine with the Captain, that same night the 4th couple shows up only to be sitting at a table for 8 all by themselves.

That looked pretty akward since we were only 2 tables away. They were gone the 4th night, but back again after that.

Just some insight that makes your story even more funny.

The labels on "vitamin C" (made just for men ;) ) have strict warnings about consuming grapefruit juice.

LOL!!! I "assumed" he was taking some statin for cholesterol (which also warns against grapefruit juice)......didn't know "male vitamin C" had the same warning.....

This is exactly why we are sailing NCL this time! Our last cruise was on RCI and we met wonderful people. It was awkward the first night but at the end of the five days, I was very happy that I met them. But I am afraid we won't always be so lucky.

I have strong political views but I don't want to discuss politics with people I don't know. Shortly after my husband started a new job, we went to the company holiday party and sat at a table with people we didn't know. A guy at the table started in on the upcoming 2008 elections. It was extremely uncomfortable and the next year, I told my husband I didn't want to go.

So, while we might meet nice people like our last RCI cruise, the horror stories as well as the huge divisions in this country over politics, religion and various social issues just make it too risky for me. I want to have a good time, not sit and keep my mouth shut when I disagree with someone..or worse, argue with a complete stranger about something that neither of us can change.

So NCL and a table for two for us..unless we meet some nice folks on our roll call. :)

I swear every word is true....the salad episode was really funny - i saw one of them pick up a cherry tomato and pop it in her mouth - OK no big deal, next it was the slice of cucumber...getting a little strange. But when they started in on the lettuce , it was just too funny and gross all at the same time.

I'm sure the grissle incident has happened a lot but it was so gross just laying there on the tablecloth.

I will admit that it is a troublesome problem....just what does one do with a mouthful of food you can't chew? I guess I usually try and put it in my napkin and kind of wad it up in my lap.....gross? yeah but at least no one has to look at it!:p

I was in Mexico one time and got a mouthful of bad-tasting fat, :eek:

I found a new use for tortillas! ;)

We always ask for and 90% of the time get a table for two.

Once, we got a table for 8 and the other 6 people were our ages. No fun sitting with "old" people. :D

See I would feel akward with people my age! I just dont understand them. lol. Old people make sense to me but hey I was raised by my grandparents adn have old school values and new music to me is anything 1960 to 1990! lol

To which I would have responded "and I don't think we asked what you think is appropriate, nor do we care."

If they truly believed drinking to be inappropriate, what are they doing on a cruise ship?

I would have said...."you dont have to drink it, just watch us, is that ok?"

On the first night of one of our cruises, traditional dining, we (DW & I) were at a table for 8, just us . . . . . for the entire dinner. Awkward, yet not too conspicuous in a sea of full tables. :rolleyes: The next night, a formal night, we show up on time, and again, no one else. After a few minutes, DW & I decide to sit opposite each other, just to put a twist of humor in the situation. Eventually, the other 6 people (2 groups of three) show in drips and drabs, finally all seated about 30 minutes late. This scenario persisted the entire cruise, thankfully only 7 days.

We felt so badly for our table crew who had to put up with our tardy tablemates for the entire cruise. And, we were surprised that our late-comers were allowed to enter the MDR so late each night.

My most awkward moment was when I was so upset with our tablemates manners that I dropped a whole handful of mashed potatoes on the lap of my tux.

what were you doing with a "handful of mashed potatoes" in your hand?

Total silence from our table mates. My sister and I were cruising the Panama Canal. We were 27 and 25 years old. One woman was in her 70's and the other couple were in their mid to late 50's.

We just sat there. My sister and I tried to get the conversation going, but no one would answer. They would just stare down at their plates. It was awful.

After three nights of that, we didn't go back to the dining room. Some people just don't have much in the way of social graces.

Remind me never to go on a cruise with set seating times and table mates! With open dining you can go by yourselves, with friends, or you can choose to be seated with others. If the others are a disaster, you need not be with them again.

I remember a dining companion from our first cruise 25 years ago. It was our honeymoon. We had a table for 6, there was another delightful honeymoon couple and then there was the other couple. The woman was very, let me say showy - fake tan, slinky outfits, big hair. But her husband made the biggest impression on us. The cruise included all you could drink white or red wine with dinner. Every night at least half a dozen red wine bottles were brought to the table because as each one was brought, Dick would feel and caress the bottle for a good 30 seconds and then announce it was the wrong temperature. (Human thermometer apparently.) Problem was, every bottle was opened before it was brought to the table. We were young and inexperienced wine drinkers and quite frankly were happy with any temperature of free wine. He however made such a production of the thing all of us honeymooners were quite embarrassed. We ended up with lots of wine bottles on the table every evening.

This was only the beginning, Dick's impression continued. He made a point of passing out his business cards. We still have it tucked away somewhere. It listed his name (this is why I remember it to this day) as "Dick Terrific". Several occupations were listed including "Pleasurer to Women". :eek: Unfortunately his skill set was lost on a couple of honeymoon couples! We just weren't looking for a "swinging" good time.

But, all the honeymoon couples loved talking about him when he wasn't around. We also all agreed the huge gold nugget watch he showed off after his day shopping in St Thomas was just stunning!:rolleyes:

A very earnest young man once filled an awkward pause in the conversation by asking the 7 other people at the table "have you accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into your life as your Saviour?" It got VERY awkward after that :cool:

"why yes, I did but we had to break off our relationship because his family was just so opinionated and disapproving. Now I hang with Buddha and it is a very satisfying relationship. Have you met him? Can I introduce you?"

LOL

Archived