The most Awkard moment during dinner

chrisxmoa

We usually chose to dine at tables for two but one morning for breakfast in the dining room we were in a particular hurry to get ashore so agreed to dine at a table for eight as we could get seated right away. All was going well until one couple mentioned their son had recently been released after spending time in a drug rehab facility. It was a bit of an ackward moment and we were trying to change the conversation topic until the others all chimed in. Turned out the other two couples had family members also with major drug abuse problems. After about 20 minutes of each person seeming to try to out do the others with the severity of the abuse issues with extremely intimate details disclosed we decided to excuse ourselves without finishing the meal. I still cannot believe people would discuss some of those items in front of total strangers. Since that meal we wait for a table by ourselves or dine elsewhere.

This didn't happen to me, but to a couple I know. They were on a cruise and had Tradiional Dining, where they were seated at a table with other couples they didn't know. Midway through the cruise they were on an island and were visiting a local beach. They soon realized two things: 1) they were at a clothing optional beach, and 2) the couple walking toward them, completely nude, were tablemates. Talk about awkward dinners! They had a hard time even making eye contact with them after that.

The worst one for me was was with someone I was traveling with (first time we traveled together). She was unhappy with her steak in the Crown Grill and made it well known to anyone sitting in our vicinity as she rudely spoke to our waiter about it. Poor waiter, he didn't cook the steak and was trying to make it right. Second steak came out and she still wasn't happy. He tried to make it right again and she was so rude and said this is a steak house and I'm paying I cant believe you don't know how to cook a steak. Again, the waiter didn't cook it - it was only a $25 meal on a $1000.00 cruise. I think she certainly should have sent a steak she was unhappy with back but not in the loud and rude manner in which it was done. I was so embarrassed and really tried to be extra nice to that poor waiter. BTW, I loved my steak and the meal but I did drink alot of wine!;)

We were on NCL at breakfast on last day when my DH asked me what he just pulled out of his mouth . He was having scrambled eggs at the time. It was a 1 1/2 " screw. He called the waiter over and then the Matri'D came by. Next thing we know a man a table behind us yells "I just found the nut and bolt". Some breakfast. We have never cruised on NCL since then.

Myrna

The worst one for me was was with someone I was traveling with (first time we traveled together). She was unhappy with her steak in the Crown Grill and made it well known to anyone sitting in our vicinity as she rudely spoke to our waiter about it. Poor waiter, he didn't cook the steak and was trying to make it right. Second steak came out and she still wasn't happy. He tried to make it right again and she was so rude and said this is a steak house and I'm paying I cant believe you don't know how to cook a steak. Again, the waiter didn't cook it - it was only a $25 meal on a $1000.00 cruise. I think she certainly should have sent a steak she was unhappy with back but not in the loud and rude manner in which it was done. I was so embarrassed and really tried to be extra nice to that poor waiter. BTW, I loved my steak and the meal but I did drink alot of wine!;)

OMG!!! My poor husband was seated next to that woman at our Chef'e Table dinner. She kept making the Executive Chef make her different steaks because none were rare enough. (If it had been me, I would have slapped a raw piece of beef on her plate and called it a day). The whole table was stunned at her behavior. The chef was very gracious...

I had the misfortune of being seated at a table with two ladies who were each going through some emotional issues. Everyone at my table was traveling solo. There were seven of us total, although most nights somebody was missing. The first formal night (night two of the cruise) one of the ladies showed up to the table drunk and proceeded to start kissing and licking the face of the poor gentleman seated next to her (he was the only man at our table). She continued to do this throughout the first course until three of us orchestrated a seat switch so she was seated only next to women. She was sober the rest of the cruise but what a first impression she made. :eek: The other lady with issues was going through a divorce and alternated between crying into her napkin and making unreasonable demands of the waiter (special foods for the most part). The wait staff handled it all very well and were very nice and professional the whole time.

Yep! You may have just won the most awkard moment for that one! Ick!:eek:

DH and I had lunch in the MDR for the first time and got along fairly well with an older couple sitting with us. They both were very friendly and very talkative, and we enjoyed conversing with them.

I began to notice that food, particularly dry food, would every so often spit out of his mouth while he talked with his mouth full. That wasn't so bad as his wife sat between us, but I did make sure to keep an eye on the landing sites. Then halfway through the meal, the man began to accumulate quite the pile of crumbs down the front of shirt. Again, no biggie... it happens to all of us. But then his wife, chatting away and without missing a beat, proceeded to pick the crumbs on her husband's shirt and started to snack on them. I didn't dare look over at DH at the time because I knew we would both start laughing if we did.

My DH and I were seated at a table for 6 in TD. First night the husband and wife arrived late to dinner and very drunk. The husband ordered the salad. As soon as the salad was delivered the "gentleman" began THROWING the offending parts of his salad across the table. His wife never reacted to this "tossed salad" as she was way to busy shouting for more wine and scotch!:o

Yup, we changed tables.

A few years ago we were joining for a couple of segments of a world cruise; we had been chatting on cruise critic with fellow cruisers and were asked to join a couple from Australia at dinner. Our table mates also included a couple from the UK. Actually, that couple included an Iranian women. All three ladies at the table were very fashionable and pretty. For some reason the Australian gentleman did not get along with the British man: It all came to a head one night when he felt that the "Pom" did not respect show enough respect for the Australian wife. It turned into a shouting match with one standing and demanding that the other leave "his" table. We were caught in the middle. Kind of like taking sides in a divorce-It was an impossible situation:( Certainly did not make us look forward to future dinners.

i just wanted to hear some stories from fellow cruisers in regards to dinner.

What was the most awkward moment while dining amongst your fellow cruisers ? :p

Our most awkward experience was many years ago on a cruise where the waiter was drunk every night! He would forget orders, slur his words, and our table was always the last to be served. This was back in the day before AT and dinner buffets so there was nowhere else to go. Cruising has come a long way since those days!

i just wanted to hear some stories from fellow cruisers in regards to dinner.

What was the most awkward moment while dining amongst your fellow cruisers ? :p

When the waiter suddenly coughed as he served our pasta at lunch and we saw all the droplets falling onto our plates. DH discretely asked the Head Waiter to remove the plates and replace them, as we didn't want to cause any discomfort to the waiter, as it wasn't his fault it happened unexpectedly.

Arriving the first night for dinner at our table for 10 we were greeted by 6 of our tablemates who were already at the table. Before we had even sat down, one of the men said in a loud and obnoxious voice, " I certainly hope you people aren't Republicans cause I can't stand Republicans". As my husband pulled his chair out and sat down he simple said, "Guess you're going to have to move to a different table then since I'm a member of our Towns Republican committtee".

After a full minutes silence I smiled at everyone and said, "Good, now that we've established that we don't need to talk about politics again during dinner we should ALL be able to enjoy our dinner time together !"

you shoulda said, oh no i'm no republican..im a commie !

I have been going through a stressful time due to sudden illness of my friend.

You have all got me laughing with tears running down my face.

I love threads like this....:D:)

i'm glad ! this topic is rather funny i have to say

i have to admit, i was planning on just getting table for 2's with my gf during my cruise in oct. but hearing all these stories of "awkward" moment, i almost want to experience one first hand. at least i'll have a story to tell. something interesting to remember the cruise by ! haha:p

My husband and I did AD on the Emerald last year but due to time constraints we agreed to share a table one night. Everyone was sharing their shore excursion experiences for the day. We were doing a ten day Southern Caribbean itinerary and we like to spend most of our time on the beach which was the excursion we had done that day. As other couples shared one of the husbands said he didn't like beaches because of the way the sand felt between his toes. Hello!! It was a Caribbean cruise. Talk about awkward....

:D

On our 1st Princess cruise on the Sky about 20 years ago when they served things like cornish hens, quail etc we were seated at a table for 6. One of the couples were Taiwanese from Vancouver. The first night they ordered the cornish hen. They would put large pieces in their mouths, chew and then lean over their plates and spit the bones on the plate. They did this with every meat dish with bones. Other than their table "manners", they seemed very nice, but we had to look away while they ate their main course!

These posts have been GREAT! --- Ah, now for my most awkward dining experience…. Well, also one of my funniest – still makes me laugh.

We were on the Royal having a last-night special dinner in the Sterling Steakhouse. The lady next to me had just placed her fork into her baked potato when the gentleman seated at the table across from us decided to stand-up. Oddly enough, when he stood, his pants remained stuck to the chair (I have no idea how this was accomplished – but then, he was wearing semi-baggy shorts to the Sterling, which we thought was odd to start with) and he ended up providing us with a rather ample ‘full-moon’ of his behind (no – there was no under-garment noted…..). My jaw dropped, but the lady next to me quickly pulled her hands back to cover her mouth, and in the process of doing so, hurled her baked potato a good 25 feet across the dining room (almost hitting a waiter on the broadside). I’d love to tell you that the ‘gentleman mooner’ was embarrassed, but – well,,, I can’t. He just hiked up his pants like nothing happened and walked on out of the dining room. My DH was on the side of the table with her back to the ‘event’ – and never saw a thing, but the staff upheld our story (having seen it too). The lady next to me ended up with a new potato and both of us ended up with a dining experience we hope will never be exceeded.

these posts have been great! --- ah, now for my most awkward dining experience…. Well, also one of my funniest – still makes me laugh.

We were on the royal having a last-night special dinner in the sterling steakhouse. The lady next to me had just placed her fork into her baked potato when the gentleman seated at the table across from us decided to stand-up. Oddly enough, when he stood, his pants remained stuck to the chair (i have no idea how this was accomplished – but then, he was wearing semi-baggy shorts to the sterling, which we thought was odd to start with) and he ended up providing us with a rather ample ‘full-moon’ of his behind (no – there was no under-garments noted…..). My jaw dropped, but the lady next to me quickly pulled her hands back to cover her mouth, and in the process of doing so, hurled her baked potato a good 25 feet across the dining room (almost hitting a waiter on the broadside). I’d love to tell you that the ‘gentleman mooner’ was embarrassed, but – well,,, i can’t. He just hiked up his pants like nothing happened and walked on out of the dining room. My dh was on the side of the table with her back to the ‘event’ – and never saw a thing, but the staff upheld our story (having seen it too). The lady next to me ended up with a new potato and both of us ended up with a dining experience we hope will never been exceeded.

You win!!! (tears running down my face!)

We sat at a table for 8 and one of the men was a complete boor. He bragged about how rich he was, how much stock he owned etc. He had the worst table manners....drinking his soup out of the bowl, buttering his bread and putting the excess back into the main serving container, handling all the rolls in the basket before he chose one, eating with his fingers etc. The waiter caught on quickly and gave him his own basket of rolls and a separate butter server. We all felt bad for his mousy wife who couldn't get a word in sideways because he did all the talking.

I think this man was at our table. He kept putting his hand on my arm to get my attention if I turned my attention to my plate or someone else.

We've been on two different cruise where the husband would order his wife's food. They would have a lenghty dicussion about the menu. The wife would point out what she liked, the husband would point out that the dish was fattening or that it didn't appeal to him, etc. Bottom line, he would order what HE wanted her to eat...... the lest fattening dishes on the menu. When it was time for dessert, most of the time he would tell her she didn't need any. On one of the cruises, on the last night the wife ordered dessert after he said, again, that she didn't need any. Boy, the look she got from him! By the way, these women were in great shape...........I wonder why!

We were on Sapphire a couple years ago, traveling with our adult, single, very fit and plenty attractive daughter. At our table for eight, our waiter clearly "admired" her, offering friendly smiles and light, flirty comments now and then -- never anything remotely offensive or in poor taste -- all good fun.

One night the waiter was again checking out our daughter, very busy offering her rolls, reloading her water glass, more lemon for her tea, giving her every special attention he could think of. Following one particular remark, another at the table said to him, referring to our daughter. "Well, that will be good. After all, she's a nurse you know!" Hearing this, the waiter put his hand to his forehead, let loose a dramatic and exaggerated, almost theatrical "sigh," looked at our daughter with a pained expression and said, "A nurse? You are a nurse? Really? Oh, I am so very sick!"

It was wonderful!

Archived