The most Awkard moment during dinner

chrisxmoa

We sat at a table for 8 and one of the men was a complete boor. He bragged about how rich he was, how much stock he owned etc. He had the worst table manners....drinking his soup out of the bowl, buttering his bread and putting the excess back into the main serving container, handling all the rolls in the basket before he chose one, eating with his fingers etc. The waiter caught on quickly and gave him his own basket of rolls and a separate butter server. We all felt bad for his mousy wife who couldn't get a word in sideways because he did all the talking.

I was on a HAL cruise with my mother, who, at dinner, insisted on telling our just-met tablemates about her digestive problems - which, as I recall, included constipation. NO, I DON'T KNOW THIS WOMAN!

(And no, she doesn't read CC, so I'm safe.)

On a cruise with Royal 4 years ago,,, we had second dining with 6 of the best people,, but we were on the waitlist to be moved (well watch what you wish for) the second morning of the cruise a note was delivered to your cabin that we had been moved to first seating... we ended up at a table with a family of 4 and their grandmother,, they never made the kids seat down would walk around and eat off other people's plates and the parents never said a thing,,, we never went back the rest of the cruise,,found out the couple that moved the first night because of the problem got our place at second seating ...Love anything dining

It was my first Princess cruise and the first night at TD, as well.

Two tablemates, a husband and his wife, got into a rather strong and lengthy discussion about whether it was their 58th or 59th cruise. The was never a definitive answer, but I changed tables for subsequent dinners.

Arriving the first night for dinner at our table for 10 we were greeted by 6 of our tablemates who were already at the table. Before we had even sat down, one of the men said in a loud and obnoxious voice, " I certainly hope you people aren't Republicans cause I can't stand Republicans". As my husband pulled his chair out and sat down he simple said, "Guess you're going to have to move to a different table then since I'm a member of our Towns Republican committtee".

After a full minutes silence I smiled at everyone and said, "Good, now that we've established that we don't need to talk about politics again during dinner we should ALL be able to enjoy our dinner time together !"

Arriving the first night for dinner at our table for 10 we were greeted by 6 of our tablemates who were already at the table. Before we had even sat down, one of the men said in a loud and obnoxious voice, " I certainly hope you people aren't Republicans cause I can't stand Republicans". As my husband pulled his chair out and sat down he simple said, "Guess you're going to have to move to a different table then since I'm a member of our Towns Republican committtee".

After a full minutes silence I smiled at everyone and said, "Good, now that we've established that we don't need to talk about politics again during dinner we should ALL be able to enjoy our dinner time together !"

This reminds me of the time when we were seated next to this French couple on our honeymoon cruise, the husband of whom decided that I looked like the kind of person who was responsible for and had the answers to all of the problems/questions he had about the Presidential race that was currently in progress (Sarah Palin was nominated as the VP candidate during our cruise, and this guy started trying to interrogate me about it, and complain about "what's wrong with America and American politics"). I kept trying to cut the conversation off and focus back on my husband, but this guy was extremely persistent -- it felt like every time DH and I would be chewing our food (and thus not talking to each other) this guy would decide that meant I was ready for his next question/complaint!

My most awkward moments occurred on a cruise where we had joined in with a group that posted on another Internet board (NOT Cruise Critic.) We all linked our reservations so that we would be seated together at dinner. They all seemed so nice on the Internet but when they arrived for dinner every night they were all totally sloshed, drunk, and obnoxious. I felt so bad for the poor staff because these people were rude and demanding. We totally felt trapped.

Just curious - what is the proper way to remove grizzle from ones mouth and where is the acceptable place to put it??

I believe it is to use your fork while discreetly as possible shielding your mouth with a napkin. Then it goes on the edge ofthe plate (or hide it under the cabbage leaf;))

Moment? How about entire meal? We normally choose TD, but had to accept anytime on a "booked the last minute" trip last winter. The very first time we went to the dining room for dinner we were seated with an older couple, a younger couple, and a single man about our age. The young couple was on their honeymoon and couldn't talk about anything but their wedding--she spoke so much that she barely ate, so all courses were delayed while the waiter waited for her to notice and say she was finished. The single man spoke so quietly that no one could understand what he was saying. The older couple were both deaf--the wife spoke very little. But the husband, who was sitting next to me, spoke so loudly that I'm sure our entire section of the dining room heard every word. But worse, he spoke with such force that his spittle hit my hand, which was right next to my plate, so I'm sure some was on my plate, too. I was thoroughly disgusted, but couldn't think of a way to politely excuse us (and couldn't get a word in edgewise to do so, anyway) until we were asked what we wanted for dessert. I replied that we were sorry to go, but needed to leave to catch the show.

I don't think I'll ever get my husband to eat at a table for more than just our party in anytime dining ever again.

If you have paper napkins, spitting it out into that could be a good choice (since you can just use a fresh napkin for hand/face wiping). But with cloth napkins it seems much more awkward... how do you get rid of the unwanted item in your napkin? Or do you later wipe your hands/face and place the napkin back in your lap with the bit of food still stuck inside?

But what do those charming people who use their cloth napkins as a hanky do?:eek:

This reminds me of the time when we were seated next to this French couple on our honeymoon cruise, the husband of whom decided that I looked like the kind of person who was responsible for and had the answers to all of the problems/questions he had about the Presidential race that was currently in progress (Sarah Palin was nominated as the VP candidate during our cruise, and this guy started trying to interrogate me about it, and complain about "what's wrong with America and American politics"). I kept trying to cut the conversation off and focus back on my husband, but this guy was extremely persistent -- it felt like every time DH and I would be chewing our food (and thus not talking to each other) this guy would decide that meant I was ready for his next question/complaint!

We used to not say we were from Wasilla because no one had ever heard of it. Now we don't say because it always begins a very polarizing conversation, one we don't want to be a part of. One breakfast in the dining room last year, we were with a conservative couple from Texas and a liberal couple from Chicago. Until that morning, we thought breakfast in the main dining rooms was a relaxing and pleasurable experience, and one we normally only partake of on sea days. I found it difficult to believe some of the things these total strangers were saying to each other.

My most embarrassing moment...after sitting with our new tablemates on the first night of an RCI cruise, they asked us if we cruised a lot. I proudly said, "Oh yes! We cruise quite a bit." They asked how many times we had been on cruises and (at that time) I said 18 so far. He smugly said, "Oh. We've been on 42 with RCI alone." That shut me up real quick! :o I've learned my lesson since then. ;)

You were set up by a braggart, weren't yu. Hope you changed tables

My mother, my daughter and I were at early TD and were seated at a table for 8. The other group asked where we were from. We replied Dallas, Texas. They started yelling at us about how "we" killed JFK. They could not be stopped and it lasted through the entire meal. My daughter was 8 and had no idea why people were yelling at us about Dallas. Needless to say, we changed tables.

During a "sit with other people you don't know" in the dining room during lunch on our RCI cruise to the med several years ago it was me, DH and two other couples: one from the Ukraine and one from Mexico...we made introductions where are you from etc... and I thought how lovely, we'll have a nice meal.

The man from the Ukraine then launched into a diatribe describing what he thought the characteristics of the Mexican population were which were largely unflattering and insulting. First I thought is this is translation issue, does he not know what he is saying? The couple from Mexico were extremely gracious and very well educated and were combining the cruise with visiting a child studying abroad. We began our own conversation about all the beautiful places in Mexico (we live very close) and this shut him up and got us through to dessert.

You were set up by a braggart, weren't you. Hope you changed tables

I ran that one by my wife, who is the brighter of the two of us for these situations. She said, the response could have been,"We don't count them,why do you ask?"

On our most recent cruise on the Mariner of the Seas, our family (including our 2 DD's ages 9 and 13) had early seating and had requested a table for 4. We arrived at the dining room on the first night, and saw that we were assigned to a table for six. The table was right next to a window, so we thought it would be nice to leave open the two seats facing the window. (To me, they would be the most desirable.) A few minutes later, an older couple appeared (she later told us she was 79). The wife drove up to the table in her electric chair. The first words out of her mouth were directed at me: "YOU'RE IN MY CHAIR!!!"

I didn't want to start with a confrontation, so I moved. Apparently, this couple lived in So. Calif. and took the same cruise several times a year. They always requested the same table, and the wife obviously felt she had "dibs" on her favorite seat.

We had many incidents as the week progressed. She harangued the wait staff mercilessly, so much so that we felt compelled to take the Head Waiter aside and make sure he knew we weren't "with" the other couple, and that we thought our waiter and assistant waiter were superb. Surprisingly, though, the wife was nice to our kids.

Went to my usual table and it was completely full with eight very elderly people.

I was saying 'Excuse me but' was interrupted by dining room manager dashing to my side' Your in the wrong dining room'.:o:o

The Sun and Dawn have two identical dining rooms ,one on deck above the other......

My most embarrassing moment...after sitting with our new tablemates on the first night of an RCI cruise, they asked us if we cruised a lot. I proudly said, "Oh yes! We cruise quite a bit." They asked how many times we had been on cruises and (at that time) I said 18 so far. He smugly said, "Oh. We've been on 42 with RCI alone." That shut me up real quick! :o I've learned my lesson since then. ;)

The lesson you probably learned was "the rules of oneupmanship". You entered the competition with 18 so he had to top it, however, going all the way to 42 was a bit over the top. When playing oneupmanship DO NOT be the first to speak - you can always top the first speaker.

We decided to go to the MDR for lunch. We were seated at a table for 8 and I am pretty sure that we were the only experienced cruisers. I shall disguise all distinguishing elements to protect the clueless, but I swear this is true. A certain table mate in a loud booming voice declared that he thought it was unreasonable to have to pay $50 to use the robe. The rest of us at the table let him know that you only have to pay $50 if you decide to keep the robe, but he said he would refrain from its comfort, just in case. .

I had the misfortune of being seated at a table with two ladies who were each going through some emotional issues. Everyone at my table was traveling solo. There were seven of us total, although most nights somebody was missing. The first formal night (night two of the cruise) one of the ladies showed up to the table drunk and proceeded to start kissing and licking the face of the poor gentleman seated next to her (he was the only man at our table). She continued to do this throughout the first course until three of us orchestrated a seat switch so she was seated only next to women. She was sober the rest of the cruise but what a first impression she made. :eek: The other lady with issues was going through a divorce and alternated between crying into her napkin and making unreasonable demands of the waiter (special foods for the most part). The wait staff handled it all very well and were very nice and professional the whole time.

We were on our 2nd ever cruise on the Diamond. It's formal night and everyone is looking pretty spiffy. Seated next to us is a lovely young couple, very prim and proper. The waiter approaches to fill the water goblets and topples the just filled glass into the woman's lap. She doesn't know where to go with herself and copious amounts of napkins are tossed into her lap to sop up the mess. Apologies are flying from the mortified waiter and assistant waiter. Their table is stripped of everything and quickly re-set. We commented to the couple that these things happen and they handled it quite well. Well folks, second verse . . . same as the first! The waiter approaches, re-fills the glasses and proceeds to knock the glass into her lap again. We felt so bad for her, but she stayed the course and we had a lovely dinner together and shared our anniversary cake with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they received a complimentary dinner at Sabatini or Sterling Steak House on Princess!

A few years ago on a RCI cruise we were seated at a table of 10 in the main dining room. The first night when everyone was seated we all introduced ourselves. A mixed group of all ages. There was a pair of girls sitting next to me who didn't hide the fact that they were a "couple". I am fine with that. Sitting across from them was an elderly couple from Texas. Next thing you know the elderly man stands up and loudly calls over the maitre'd. Have those girls removed from my table! The girls remained calm and the elderly couple were finally removed from the dining room. We never saw them again but the rest of the table joked about it for the rest of the week.

Archived