Florence and Lucca?

Ashlm85

My husband and I will be cruising in October and will be in Livorno in port. I was wondering what people thought of trying to see both Lucca and Florence that day. I would like to try and DIY, although we would possible be open to hiring a guide/driver. We are fairly interested in art, but I don't think we would need to see every piece :)

Thanks! :D

I think that you would be pushing the envelope trying to both in one day. Lucca is north of Pisa. Either by car or train, you have to return to Pisa and continue on to Florence. Of course, with a train change in Pisa you have additional time to factor in for waiting for your connection train. Livorno to Florence is one train that happens to stop in Pisa.

We are doing both. We hired ril. They said we would have to cut Pisa, and we don't care to stop at the Uffizi or Accademia, so with those alterations, they said we could do both Lucca and Florence. It is mostly a matter of what is important for you to see and do and whether you want to pay for private tours or public transport.

We 6 are cruising Oct 31 and also want to try to do both Florence & Lucca. Most of us have been to Florence so can skip the art, just do the highlights and then get to Lucca, or vice versa. Thanks for the tip about RIL, omc329. When are you going? Please post after your return so we know how it worked. ;) Thanks!

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone, just a funny thought. :)

I always wonder if there are people who return home after their cruise and have a conversation like this:

Friend: So did you go to Florence on your cruise?

Cruiser: Yes, and Lucca too on the same stop. We like to see as much as possible.

F: What did you see?

C: Well, we'd seen the Uffizi before, and the Accademia, so we just had a quick look at the Doumo and some other places before we went to Lucca.

F: Did you climb to the top of the Duomo?

C: No, we didn't really have time.

F: Did you go to Santa Maria Novella? Or the Bobboli Gardens? Or Piazzale Michelangelo?

C: No, we had to hurry to get to Lucca.

F: Did you walk around the top of the wall in Lucca? It's a really nice way to see the town.

C: No, we had to hurry to get back to the ship in time.

F: Did you stop and have a coffee in the Piazza Anfiteatro?

C: Well, we walked through it, but we had to hurry...

F: Did you climb the Guinigi Tower and see the trees growing at the top?

C: No, we just didn't have time.

F: You know, I don't think I'd really enjoy a cruise. You just can't see much while you're ashore, can you?

C: But...

Lisa

This is not meant as a criticism of anyone, just a funny thought. :)

I always wonder if there are people who return home after their cruise and have a conversation like this:

Friend: So did you go to Florence on your cruise?

Cruiser: Yes, and Lucca too on the same stop. We like to see as much as possible.

F: What did you see?

C: Well, we'd seen the Uffizi before, and the Accademia, so we just had a quick look at the Doumo and some other places before we went to Lucca.

F: Did you climb to the top of the Duomo?

C: No, we didn't really have time.

F: Did you go to Santa Maria Novella? Or the Bobboli Gardens? Or Piazzale Michelangelo?

C: No, we had to hurry to get to Lucca.

F: Did you walk around the top of the wall in Lucca? It's a really nice way to see the town.

C: No, we had to hurry to get back to the ship in time.

F: Did you stop and have a coffee in the Piazza Anfiteatro?

C: Well, we walked through it, but we had to hurry...

F: Did you climb the Guinigi Tower and see the trees growing at the top?

C: No, we just didn't have time.

F: You know, I don't think I'd really enjoy a cruise. You just can't see much while you're ashore, can you?

C: But...

Lisa

Funny....but true and also a bit sad.

I actually had a similar discussion with some friends about Rome. "We saw all the top sights in Rome in a day," they bragged.

"Oh, really....what did you see?"

"Well, we saw the Vatican, and the Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain and.....well, a lot of other stuff."

"What did you see at the Vatican?"

"What? Well, you know....we saw it. The Vatican."

"But did you go into St Peters? Or the museum? Did you see the Sistine chapel?"

"Ummm, no. But we saw so much other stuff and we weren't that interested in the Vatican."

"Okay....what other stuff did you see?"

"Oh, I can't remember it all. I'd have to look at our itinerary."

IMHO, if you see so much "stuff" in a day that you can't remember what you saw, you didn't really "see" anything.

Funny....but true and also a bit sad.

I actually had a similar discussion with some friends about Rome. "We saw all the top sights in Rome in a day," they bragged.

"Oh, really....what did you see?"

"Well, we saw the Vatican, and the Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain and.....well, a lot of other stuff."

"What did you see at the Vatican?"

"What? Well, you know....we saw it. The Vatican."

"But did you go into St Peters? Or the museum? Did you see the Sistine chapel?"

"Ummm, no. But we saw so much other stuff and we weren't that interested in the Vatican."

"Okay....what other stuff did you see?"

"Oh, I can't remember it all. I'd have to look at our itinerary."

IMHO, if you see so much "stuff" in a day that you can't remember what you saw, you didn't really "see" anything.

Yes! My preference is to see less, but see it really well. And it gives me a good excuse to come back for a second/third/fourth visit.:p

Lisa

To each his own.

We'll have a morning in Lucca and an afternoon in Florence. For us, that is what we wish to see. I sincerely doubt we'll have any regrets. I don't really care about seeing a statue of David. Art is great, but I prefer strolling old churches and architecture. To each his own.

Moreover, our group has several with some health issues. This sort of itinerary breaks up the day and allows them to rest in the car between Lucca and Florence. It is very doubtful anyone but myself would be ABLE to climb the duomo in Florence, so not a big deal. Again, to each his own.

There is too much to see and do in a day, one chooses that which works for the individual. It isn't necessarily about rushing around or missing some piece of artwork that is important to someone else, but enjoying the day in the way that works best for that individual. Everyone has different preferences and tastes. I feel as though we will be more laid back with our choices, than the standard ril tour that everyone raves about.

Again, to each his own.

We 6 are cruising Oct 31 and also want to try to do both Florence & Lucca. Most of us have been to Florence so can skip the art, just do the highlights and then get to Lucca, or vice versa. Thanks for the tip about RIL, omc329. When are you going? Please post after your return so we know how it worked. ;) Thanks!

Come over and join the rollcall! :)

Ril suggested Lucca in the morning rather than afternoon during siestas when things tend to close up.

To each his own.

We'll have a morning in Lucca and an afternoon in Florence. For us, that is what we wish to see. I sincerely doubt we'll have any regrets. I don't really care about seeing a statue of David. Art is great, but I prefer strolling old churches and architecture. To each his own.

Moreover, our group has several with some health issues. This sort of itinerary breaks up the day and allows them to rest in the car between Lucca and Florence. It is very doubtful anyone but myself would be ABLE to climb the duomo in Florence, so not a big deal. Again, to each his own.

There is too much to see and do in a day, one chooses that which works for the individual. It isn't necessarily about rushing around or missing some piece of artwork that is important to someone else, but enjoying the day in the way that works best for that individual. Everyone has different preferences and tastes. I feel as though we will be more laid back with our choices, than the standard ril tour that everyone raves about.

Again, to each his own.

You are correct. In the end, this is a personal decision.

There is no right or wrong.

Keith

Have a great vacation, and enjoy every moment and experience whatever you choose.

We are leaving next week, and still have not decided each detail for Rome and Florence, but whatever we decide it will be different and fun. We have so many full day tours scheduled on this 12 day trip, we need a few days to just enjoy being together and exploring.

Happy travels to all!

Prior to our trip, I contacted a private tour guide in Florence and said that I wanted to skip Florence and visit Pisa and Lucca. He suggested that I purchase tickets to the Leaning Tower of Pisa online for a 9:30am reservation on the day of our visit. I did as he suggested. When he met us at the port, he told us that he had made reservations for us to see David in Florence....even though I said we were not going to Florence!! Anyway, while he was driving us to Pisa, we heard the passion with which he spoke of Florence and the whole Tuscan area. He said it's not enough to visit Tuscany...you must also feel it. We decided to include Florence in our tour. We spent about an hour in Pisa and then headed to Lucca. He gave us lots of history and walked us into the church. We spent about 90 minutes in Lucca. Walked around, shopped, ate and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I would have liked to stay longer. We went to Florence where he walked us to the front of the extensive line waiting to get in to view David and I must say that it truly was a highlight of our trip. We also toured all around the city and saw all of the highlights. I will be forever grateful to our guide for not allowing us to cheat ourselves out of a visit to Florence.

Prior to our trip, I contacted a private tour guide in Florence and said that I wanted to skip Florence and visit Pisa and Lucca. He suggested that I purchase tickets to the Leaning Tower of Pisa online for a 9:30am reservation on the day of our visit. I did as he suggested. When he met us at the port, he told us that he had made reservations for us to see David in Florence....even though I said we were not going to Florence!! Anyway, while he was driving us to Pisa, we heard the passion with which he spoke of Florence and the whole Tuscan area. He said it's not enough to visit Tuscany...you must also feel it. We decided to include Florence in our tour. We spent about an hour in Pisa and then headed to Lucca. He gave us lots of history and walked us into the church. We spent about 90 minutes in Lucca. Walked around, shopped, ate and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I would have liked to stay longer. We went to Florence where he walked us to the front of the extensive line waiting to get in to view David and I must say that it truly was a highlight of our trip. We also toured all around the city and saw all of the highlights. I will be forever grateful to our guide for not allowing us to cheat ourselves out of a visit to Florence.

I really appreciate your answer. We are not planning on visiting Pisa. For some reason, I just don't have an overwhelming interest in seeing the tower. Call me crazy :) So, our plan is to go through RIL and go to Lucca in the morning and Florence in the afternoon. We will have all our tickets pre-purchased. Are there any highlights in Lucca that you think we should not miss? Thanks so much!

There are several towers in Lucca, one of which is interesting because there is a tree growing on it! We visited the church and our guide told us that an artisan was carving a wooden crucifix for the church and one night he fell asleep while working on it. When he awoke, the face of Jesus had been carved into the wood and legend has it that no one knows who carved the face. The wooden cross is in the church. Other than that, we just wandered around and visited some shops. Unfortunately, I don't feel that we were there long enough and I don't think that we got a full Lucca experience. If you skip Pisa, however, you will have more time to enjoy Lucca. Sorry I can't be me helpful!:)

I really appreciate your answer. We are not planning on visiting Pisa. For some reason, I just don't have an overwhelming interest in seeing the tower. Call me crazy :) So, our plan is to go through RIL and go to Lucca in the morning and Florence in the afternoon. We will have all our tickets pre-purchased. Are there any highlights in Lucca that you think we should not miss? Thanks so much!

I had no desire to see the tower either, until I saw it! It was really quite breathtaking in a very surprising way. Just thought I would throw that in.

I would rent a car in Livorno and go to Lucca. Lucca is an extremely nice city and very quiet compared to Florence and Pisa. If time permits I would stop in Pisa on the way back to Livorno. With a GPS you should have no problems finding your way!

Florence can wait!

I speak from experience - we did this last year!

Screwcork

I had no idea my post would generate such responses :rolleyes:. You're right, to each his own. 4 out of 6 of us have spent over a week in Florence - we've seen all the major sights & museums and minor ones too. The 2 who haven't been to Florence are willing to see some of it quickly so the rest of us can go somewhere we haven't been: Lucca. Personally if I only have one day to see a city for the first time I will hit as many major highlights if I can, just to get the flavor of them. I know if I like the place I'll go back someday and do it justice. We've been traveling that way for years, and it works for us!

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful tips.

Archived