Need infor on rough seas in Yucatan channel

having sailed in the Yuk (patrolled the Yucatan) many many weeks over my years in CG I'd say there is no special reason to expect unusual seas there.

It is NOT a narrow passage nor are there unusual currents to kick things up.

Can it be ruff? YES

Just like any other hunk of sea.

The Loop Current runs up through the Yucatan Channel from south to north. If you have an opposing wind out of the north, it can kick things up a bit. This occurs more in the winter months. That being said, I have never encountered overly rough seas there either.

if not always rough ,like some areas, I ll take my chances,,,plus take my Bonine just in case...appreciate the input....;)

Book a cabin mid deck, take the bonine with you (and take it before you feel sick not after) and enjoy the cruise.

We sailed it in late April and although it was extremely windy (wind at your back pushing you along the upper deck & flip flops fly off your feet when you lift your foot up!) but wasn't wasn't that rough and choppy feel. The good thing was all the foot traffic was going in one direction because there was no way you could walk into that wind!

An aside, but I've heard that the 45-min. ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland (if you're doing Tulum or Playa del Carmen) can be a very rough ride.

Yes. I've done that ferry ride twice, and both times it was rough. They were handing out barf bags to everyone, and they were getting filled.

My advice, if you're prone to seasickness, is go to the second deck and go outside and sit as close to the stern as possible. It is a much better ride, and the fresh air helps.

Archived