Flight questions Civitavecchia

skyebluetravels

I need some help. We are looking to do a cruise in January out of Civitavecchia. We have 2 frequent flyer tickets so we must use a certain airline. My questions are as follows:

1) The flight will arrive in Rome at 8:55am, the ship leaves out of Civitavecchia at 7:00pm are we ok to fly in the same day or should we come the day before? I understand it is about 1 1/2 hours from the airport to the cruise port. We are coming from the west coast but we do have a layover in the midwest so weather could be a factor in January.

2) What is the best way to get from Rome airport to the port in Civitavecchia?

3) The flight out from Rome leaves at 11:50am, do we have enough time to get off the ship and get from Civitavecchia to the Rome airport in enough time? Would it make more sense to leave the following day?

I would like to spend a day in Rome just don't know if it is better on the front or back end of the trip.

Thanks for your help

This is OT, but are you SURE you want to do this trip in January? We were in Italy for the whole month of January this year and froze our patooties!! Daytime highs were 35, maybe a few days at 40. Even February in France and England were freezing, some snow, etc.

If you go forward with it, I would definitely plan to spend your day in Rome pre-cruise--that way you have a cushion should something go wrong with your flights. You can take a train from the airport into Rome and then from there to the port, which is least expensive and something of an adventure, or use a car service.

You can make the return flight but I would recommend booking one of the private transport services listed on these boards to get you to the airport asap once you debark.

I would join your roll call to see if you can hook up with other travelers to share some of the cost, esp. to the port and to the AP.

I need some help. We are looking to do a cruise in January out of Civitavecchia. We have 2 frequent flyer tickets so we must use a certain airline. My questions are as follows:

1) The flight will arrive in Rome at 8:55am, the ship leaves out of Civitavecchia at 7:00pm are we ok to fly in the same day or should we come the day before? I understand it is about 1 1/2 hours from the airport to the cruise port. We are coming from the west coast but we do have a layover in the midwest so weather could be a factor in January.

It is always recommended to fly in at least one day early, ESPECIALLY in winter.

Private transfer set up ahead of time. Share with others if you can to reduce the cost. Cruise lines transfers are a good back-up plan.

3) The flight out from Rome leaves at 11:50am, do we have enough time to get off the ship and get from Civitavecchia to the Rome airport in enough time? Would it make more sense to leave the following day?

It depends when your ship is due to dock in Civitavecchia. For example, ours is due to dock at 4am (barring any problems). The cruise line recommends flights after 10:00am. From what others have told me, a 10:00am flight is reasonable. You can leave the next day and it makes the last day less hectic, but that's your choice and definitely not necessary.

I would like to spend a day in Rome just don't know if it is better on the front or back end of the trip.

Always better at the beginning because if there is a problem with flights, you're covered. You may lose your land time, but you make it to the cruise on time.

Thanks for your help

Hope it helps. :)

You'll be fine arriving at 9 am. Always have trip cancellation insurance in case of delays and missed connections. Some gold CC provided it (mine does anyway).

Private transfer is the fastest but will cost you around 130 to 150 euros. Train is not that much slower (1.5 to 2 hrs max) but definitely cheaper (max 6-7 euros pp). To check schedules http://trenitalia.com/ and then paste "fiumicino aeroporto" in box 1 and "civitavecchia" - in box 2. Transfer at Roma Trastevere.

See above. You'll be ok

Weather in January & Feb is iffy (cold and wet) and it wouldn't be my first choice to cruise. Anything after early April is much more pleasant.

I would not under any circumstances fly in the day of the cruise. There are too many things that can go wrong to cause delays or flight cancellatons which may mean you miss the ship. On top of this if you board the same day you will find yourself jet lagged.

Even if it was summer I would say do not do this. Arrive a day or more before the cruise.

2. The best way to get to the port of call is to arrange a private car transfer. These boards have a lot of good information on this.

3. I would take a flight the following day. You need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to check in and ideally even earlier. Rome is one of the more chaotic airports.

Keith

You seem to have already highlighted the risk and why many think about traveling a day earlier. IMHO the largest risk isn't the long international flights themselves but the connections in to the final leg where connections are missed or luggage is lost and why another day buffer is always prudent.

International flights in general like you mentioned are once a day and if they do get canceled wreck havoc with subsquent schedules, thus very rarely canceled unless things like volcanoes and acts of god come into play.

January and the midwest say connections in Chicago or other place is dicey, come a snow storm and could be hours or days missed.

I would for sure get travel insurance for the cruise and look to see if you can find more clever direct maybe from westcoast with connection in Europe would be better.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help

Archived