Flight time change...not DTW but ATL

4FRCruising

Hi all

Need expert opinion here.

I know I can call and get my flights changed since Delta changed my flight times.

Basic info AVP/SJU 4/30/11-5/8/11. Outbound is OK. Return has the change/problem.

Just want to make sure I'm not going from Frying Pan to Fire :eek:

5/8/11 Flight change now has me with a connection time of only 27 minutes at DTW (Flight 424 arrives 6:23 p connecting to 1513 departs 6:50 p).

Only other flight Delta offers routes me through JFK & DTW.

SJU #576

JFK #3096 site says connection time 50 min

DTW #3802 site says connection time 59 min.

Should I call and change....wait a bit and hope they make yet another change (27 min. connectiontime seems way too short).

An airline will not necessarily allow you to make a free flight change, just because the schedule changed. I don't know what DL's policies are, but on UA, the change must be greater than two hours.

A legal connection time for a domestic to domestic flight at DTW is 25 minutes. I certainly would not be comfortable with that.

Also, again am not familiar with DL's policies, but for UA, if you notice a schedule change on your itinerary and don't call to confirm, after a couple weeks, you will receive an email from them with your new itinerary, as if you'd approved it. I don't recommend you ignore this. Better to be proactive than reactive.

An airline will not necessarily allow you to make a free flight change, just because the schedule changed. I don't know what DL's policies are, but on UA, the change must be greater than two hours.

A legal connection time for a domestic to domestic flight at DTW is 25 minutes. I certainly would not be comfortable with that.

Also, again am not familiar with DL's policies, but for UA, if you notice a schedule change on your itinerary and don't call to confirm, after a couple weeks, you will receive an email from them with your new itinerary, as if you'd approved it. I don't recommend you ignore this. Better to be proactive than reactive.

Call and ask for a change now. If you wait you might not have as many options. That being said keep watching your itinerary as it could change many times between now and May.

I'm not happy with the time at DTW on flight they changed me to.

I want to get this taken care of soon. I check my flights at a minimum weekly. I actually checked Delta yeasterday and it was fine...change happened overnight.

Before I call them and do any changing....

My biggest question though is 50 min enough time at JFK (never flown through there before).

That is the ONLY other flight option offered by DL.

Just as a side note...this was booked using FF miles.

Your problem starts with the last leg of your journey. With limited service in/out of AVP, flights have to fit around those. So, I would start looking to construct my own routings, working back from the DTW-AVP flight times.

As for connections in DTW -- they are some of the fastest available, certainly the fastest of top-tier hubs. However, there's a big caveat -- that 25 minutes works OK if you are solely within Concourse A at DTW. The DTW-AVP flight is on a CRJ and those operate from the C concourse. To get there, you need to walk through the tunnel (albeit with moving walkways). I wouldn't be happy with a 25 minute connect from A to C and I'm usually very comfortable there.

I would be using the online schedules at DL's website to try to piece together a routing that is more favorable for you. Remember that the DL computer doesn't always show what could work best for you -- you really have to piece segment to segment to see what could work. I've found much better timings on my own, but it takes some research.

If that's more effort than you want to do, take the double connect through JFK and DTW. Longer day but more peace of mind. Plus you'll get to see the old DL terminal at JFK before it gets torn down.

Just as a side note...this was booked using FF miles.

That doesn't matter, IME. They can open up award seats on any flight, if they want to. Agree with FT's advice; build your trip leg by leg and see if you can come up with something better, then call and ask.

Domestic to domestic at JFK should be OK at 50 minutes, but you don't want to dawdle. You may have to go between any of three terminals (though you can do it all airside and not have to pass security). Distances can be a long walk, and the DL complex is not that intuitive to navigate.

I would study the maps of JFK and have them in my brain. Also note....you cannot get from the right side of the "loop" in T3 directly to the front section. You have to go all the way around the left side of the loop, even though the map makes it look like there's a shortcut up the right side.

Your problem starts with the last leg of your journey. With limited service in/out of AVP, flights have to fit around those. So, I would start looking to construct my own routings, working back from the DTW-AVP flight times.

As for connections in DTW -- they are some of the fastest available, certainly the fastest of top-tier hubs. However, there's a big caveat -- that 25 minutes works OK if you are solely within Concourse A at DTW. The DTW-AVP flight is on a CRJ and those operate from the C concourse. To get there, you need to walk through the tunnel (albeit with moving walkways). I wouldn't be happy with a 25 minute connect from A to C and I'm usually very comfortable there.

I would be using the online schedules at DL's website to try to piece together a routing that is more favorable for you. Remember that the DL computer doesn't always show what could work best for you -- you really have to piece segment to segment to see what could work. I've found much better timings on my own, but it takes some research.

If that's more effort than you want to do, take the double connect through JFK and DTW. Longer day but more peace of mind. Plus you'll get to see the old DL terminal at JFK before it gets torn down.

Domestic to domestic at JFK should be OK at 50 minutes, but you don't want to dawdle. You may have to go between any of three terminals (though you can do it all airside and not have to pass security). Distances can be a long walk, and the DL complex is not that intuitive to navigate.

I would study the maps of JFK and have them in my brain. Also note....you cannot get from the right side of the "loop" in T3 directly to the front section. You have to go all the way around the left side of the loop, even though the map makes it look like there's a shortcut up the right side.

Tried a build it yourself (looked at SJU to DTW 1 way to see if anything else would pop up) and all I found were those 2 flight combos.

Anything else either leaves SJU early in the a.m. (won't work when coming back from a cruise) or gets to DTW too late to catch the only flight back home that night.

Unless Delta flys to AVP from some other airport...but not thinking that it does.

I'm not too confident about that 27 minutes at DTW but never having gone through JFK wasn't sure if 50 min there would be even worse (at least you have eased my mind about that a little :)).

Could keep the 27 minute one and hope they change the times again (which of course then they won't) or hope 50 min. at JFK will work and call to change.

Don't know what happens if I miss either flight due to airline delay or just running too slow from gate to gate.

I do plan on printing out a terminal map if I do JFK (or putting it on my iphone...I do have Gate Guru on there plus trip case).

Only other choice I can come up with is to see if they will refund miles & then I try to get a decent price with another airline.

Thanks for all your help :)

In my experience, IF you want to change, the earlier you do it the better. As planes fill up, they are more likely to want to charge for a change - especially if there are only a few flights.

One thing is true - Delta is prone to change schedules so it could change a few more times and no, they don't notify you in a timely fashion.

In my experience, IF you want to change, the earlier you do it the better. As planes fill up, they are more likely to want to charge for a change - especially if there are only a few flights.

One thing is true - Delta is prone to change schedules so it could change a few more times and no, they don't notify you in a timely fashion.

So true...that's why I check weekly (even this far ahead). I've never had Delta notify me....I always spot it first.

Now I'm thinking about seeing if they will let me change to ABE instead of AVP. Hate to do it since AVP is from leaving home to sitting at gate in 10 minutes or less (yes....I'm spoiled rotten by this) :D

ABE is about 1.25 Hr drive if no road problems (and looking at a 6:40 a.m. flight out and return around 10:18 p.m.). Plus not sure what they do about "late" luggage. My luggage always gets a longer vacation than I do when coming back from SJU...so I sort of plan on not seeing it until Monday....but I don't want to (and don't have time to) drive back to ABE to get it.

Have to think on this overnight.....want to get this settled tomorrow.

Hi again

I posted about flight time changes (AVP/SJU)...but had airports wrong.

Time change affects arrival/departure at ATL....now only 27 minutes.

Still thinking the 50 minutes at JFK might be better (but not great).

Delta does allow free change if flight times have changed by more than 1 hr (original flight was to depart SJU at 1 p.m. and change is to 2:20 p.m.) I still think I'd rather change to ABE from AVP but info says origin has to stay the same. I may see if they will just refund the FF miles & I'll start over (lose $10.00 Fee but that is minor).

This is not a legal connection time at ATL; you must have at leat 55 minutes for a domestic to domestic connection. You should be able to change your original flight at no charge. If you cancel and start over, you should be out no fees, because this was their "fault".

Would suggest that you not cancel, but have an agent change your flights to something that will work. If you can find a flight from the new departure airport, ask them to change to that, even if you have found something that says this isn't allowed.

If you don't get the answer you want, ask for a supervisor, or hang up and try again.

This is not a legal connection time at ATL; you must have at leat 55 minutes for a domestic to domestic connection. You should be able to change your original flight at no charge. If you cancel and start over, you should be out no fees, because this was their "fault".

Would suggest that you not cancel, but have an agent change your flights to something that will work. If you can find a flight from the new departure airport, ask them to change to that, even if you have found something that says this isn't allowed.

If you don't get the answer you want, ask for a supervisor, or hang up and try again.

Thank you so much :)....that's what I thought (good thing I looked again and spotted that I had airport incorrect).

I'll be calling them shortly -will let you know how it all works out (I know I hate not hearing the results :D).

YMMV BUT i had a delta agent at the airport change a FF ticket on the spot from EWR to PHL on that same day while i was at the airport.....(long story).

I think they charged me but it was worth it....

the agent forgot to change the return so they did it on the phone and i got them to waive the fee......

so.....SOMETIMES you can come out ahead.....you can always ask for a supervisor....good luck

The KVS tool shows 50 minutes as the "standard" minimum connect time in ATL. However, when the connect is specifically DL-DL domestic the minimum legal time is 35 minutes.

Also the consensus on the DL board on FT is that 35 minutes is the minimum legal connect time in ATL for domestic-domestic. We do have an upcoming mileage run with a 35 minute connect in ATL, but it doesn't much matter if we make the next flight. The alternatives are known, acceptable, and already loaded into our electronic gizmos.

However, "legal" to book doesn't mean safe or even likely. I would never book an itinerary with that short of a connect time if we were headed for a cruise. It is not uncommon to land on time in ATL and sit in the plane waiting for the assigned gate to open up.

The KVS tool shows 50 minutes as the "standard" minimum connect time in ATL. However, when the connect is specifically DL-DL domestic the minimum legal time is 35 minutes.

Also the consensus on the DL board on FT is that 35 minutes is the minimum legal connect time in ATL for domestic-domestic. We do have an upcoming mileage run with a 35 minute connect in ATL, but it doesn't much matter if we make the next flight. The alternatives are known, acceptable, and already loaded into our electronic gizmos.

With the flight time change they made my layover time is now only 27 minutes so still below the 35 minutes even.

Got them to change the entire routing :). No longer flying from AVP...now flying from ABE. OK....so I have to drive about 1.5 hrs going & coming but feel much safer/better.

Now 4/30/11 ABE 6:40 a.m. to ATL 8:53 then ATL 9:45 a.m. arrive SJU 1:26 p.m.

Return 5/8/11 is SJU 2:20 p.m. to ATL 6:23 p.m. then ATL 8:15 arrive ABE 10:18

Will have layovers only in ATL....1:57 going and 1:52 returning.

No extra fees or miles :)

Now lets see how many times they change this :D

Thank you all sooo very much for your help/advice on this :)

Now 4/30/11 ABE 6:40 a.m. to ATL 8:53 then ATL 9:45 a.m. arrive SJU 1:26 p.m.

Return 5/8/11 is SJU 2:20 p.m. to ATL 6:23 p.m. then ATL 8:15 arrive ABE 10:18

Will have layovers only in ATL....1:57 going and 1:52 returning.

Good on the change....bad on the math. ;)

You have 52 minutes on the outbound. The good news is that there are 4 non-stops to SJU that follow yours in case you have a delay. Also, they can also connect you back up to JFK to catch the evening flight from there to SJU.

You will likely be coming in on the C concourse (high numbered gates) and will have to change concourses. Get a good picture of the ATL airport in your brain so you can be prepared when you land.

Glad that you were flexible and proactive in working for a solution. With some knowledge upfront, you have a much better position to work from with an airline.

Good on the change....bad on the math. ;)

You have 52 minutes on the outbound. The good news is that there are 4 non-stops to SJU that follow yours in case you have a delay. Also, they can also connect you back up to JFK to catch the evening flight from there to SJU.

You will likely be coming in on the C concourse (high numbered gates) and will have to change concourses. Get a good picture of the ATL airport in your brain so you can be prepared when you land.

Glad that you were flexible and proactive in working for a solution. With some knowledge upfront, you have a much better position to work from with an airline.

Actually...my math wasn't bad (I was going by my notes from flights I requested)...I didn't notice until now when you mentioned it that he didn't book me on the flight I requested. I requested 423 and he put me on 559...guess I'm stuck with his mistake now.

Been through ATL a lot so comfortable with navigating there.

It was thanks to your earlier post that I even thought about using ABE. Like I said...I'm spoiled with AVP (I can see the runway lights there from my front yard....hmmmmm hope I don't sound too much like Sarah Palin LOL). Hadn't even thought about ABE until reading your post. So a BIG thank you on that.

I always try to check what my options are before I call (I check my flights every weekend once I have any booked)....wondering how many more calls before April :D

Actually...my math wasn't bad (I was going by my notes from flights I requested)...I didn't notice until now when you mentioned it that he didn't book me on the flight I requested. I requested 423 and he put me on 559...guess I'm stuck with his mistake now.

Not necessarily. As before, the sooner you call to try to correct it, the better your odds. Worst case, they will explain why they can't.

Archived