Cost to Transfer Pictures from SD Card to CD

chazg

Way too expensive. SD cards will hold a thousand pictures. Cheaper to buy and extra SD card and take with you.

I have a small Kodak Video Camera that goes underwater and takes stills. Just wanted to know since I have $200 OBC coming to me.

Thanks for asking this question, OP. I was thinking about this last night. I am going to look to see if I can find a place in one of the ports as well. The main reason that I want to do it is because of all the recent lost/stolen camera threads.

Hope someone will post the cost (as opposed to just saying there are better ways to spend money :rolleyes: - everyone has their own needs, priorities, etc.)

Thanks for asking this question, OP. I was thinking about this last night. I am going to look to see if I can find a place in one of the ports as well. The main reason that I want to do it is because of all the recent lost/stolen camera threads.

Hope someone will post the cost (as opposed to just saying there are better ways to spend money :rolleyes: - everyone has their own needs, priorities, etc.)

That is why instead of bringing 1 huge sd card I will bring 3-4 small ones. Change the card every day or two and this way if the camera does get stolen I wont lose all my pics.

That is why instead of bringing 1 huge sd card I will bring 3-4 small ones. Change the card every day or two and this way if the camera does get stolen I wont lose all my pics.

I do the same, as I've accumulated several SD cards over the last few years. The older ones that are 256 to 512 MB still easily hold a couple days worth of photos, if not more.

As for the cost, I remember seeing that service onboard and I want to say it was in the range of $10 or so. Quite expensive for just transferring some data to a CD, but if you prefer to do it that way, it's not exactly going to put you in the poor house. But I'm not sure I'm remembering the price correctly.

I'm thinking from questionable memory that it cost at least $100 and as for the priorities, SD cards can be had for just a few dollars, why give RCI more than $100 to do what you can do at home for just a couple. Now, I am going to roll my eyes back at you. :rolleyes:

Related to this, is there any way to transfer pictures from an SD memory card to an iphone or ipod? I prefer not to have to lug the laptop for this purpose.

If not, the idea of several SD cards is a good one.

I have an 8gb memory card...apparently it will hold anywhere from 2000-2500 photos (10 or 12 mp...I forget which). I took two of these and a 4gb card with me on a recent trip to Europe. I didn't need all three, but was glad I had them. (And I stop to take photos every 2 ft! Lol) For $100, you can buy several memory cards (I got mine on sale for $25 for 8gb)

Do you have a laptop by any chance? I took my mini laptop with me (to stay connected) and had a passport (large flash drive) with me in case I needed it. (This way I have a huge amt of storage for photos, if necessary...the cool thing is that I was able to share photos with others in my group and immediately DL /save them to the passport!)

rxmurphy...Can't say I've ever heard of transferring photos to an iphone or ipod. I'm not sure there are cables that would allow that type of transfer. I'm not saying it can't be done...I've just never heard of it. Good luck!

I know they offer this service on board. Does anyone know how much it costs?
You don't have to spend $100.

How about $15

A lot more than an extra card will cost. This one will hold most every picture you take on the cruise

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-8gb-secure-digital-high-capacity-card-sdhc-kingston-8gb/q/loc/101/204333365.html

I appreciate all the suggestions, but the purpose for my question was just to see if someone remembered the cost.

I seriously doubt it is $100, but $10 is more reasonable.

I guess most of the responses feel why give the extra money to RCI/ship board photography when you can use the money to buy extra cards and use it later on.

However, to just to reply to your question without adding my own opinion, I found this company on Google search:

http://www.image.com/html/rci_groups.html

Looks like this is one of the larger ship outsourced photography companies as they serve Celebrity as well as HAL and others. Not sure how current the prices are, but if you scroll all the way to the bottom, it says $15 for the service you are looking for. Call and ask for the latest pricing.

One final food for thought- friend of mine did this at Princess awhile back to burn the photo CD while on board as her memory card was full. Somehow something went terribly wrong and in the process all the pictures were lost. The photography place on the ship blamed the bad card/improperly formatted card or whatever reason. Whatever the reason may be, the bottom line is that the pictures were lost. So factor that in your decision making.

Archived