Main dining room breakfast and lunch?

Going on the Explorer for the 9-night cruise next July. Do they serve breakfast and lunch in the main dining room every day? If so, is it open seating or is it a set time when you choose traditional dining? We chose traditional dining, first seating.

Breakfast is served in the MDR every morning, including the last day. It is open seating and usually open from 8-10, but hours may vary so check your compass. I highly recommmend eating there. It is so much more civilized than the Windjammer. Also, there are daily specials that are really good. I especially loved the first morning when we had crab cake benedict.

Lunch time is also open seating, but the MDR is only open on sea days. Hours are 12-2. Again, much better than the Windjammer. There is a great salad bar where you point to what you want and the salad is made for you. Lots of choices, including shrimp, chicken, and different cheeses. You can have this instead of, or in addition to a served lunch. On a 9 night cruise there are 4 sea days. Explorer has 2 different lunch menus, each with lots of great choices. I was glad that the menu repeated because it gave me a chance to try things I had to pass up the first time. There is also a daily special at lunch time. I found the lunches to be more varied and flavorful than the dinners. I wish the MDR was open every day for lunch.

Breakfast is served in the MDR every morning, including the last day. It is open seating and usually open from 8-10, but hours may vary so check your compass. I highly recommmend eating there. It is so much more civilized than the Windjammer. Also, there are daily specials that are really good. I especially loved the first morning when we had crab cake benedict.

Lunch time is also open seating, but the MDR is only open on sea days. Hours are 12-2. Again, much better than the Windjammer. There is a great salad bar where you point to what you want and the salad is made for you. Lots of choices, including shrimp, chicken, and different cheeses. You can have this instead of, or in addition to a served lunch. On a 9 night cruise there are 4 sea days. Explorer has 2 different lunch menus, each with lots of great choices. I was glad that the menu repeated because it gave me a chance to try things I had to pass up the first time. There is also a daily special at lunch time. I found the lunches to be more varied and flavorful than the dinners. I wish the MDR was open every day for lunch.

I agree with your views. It is a very relaxing option and the food was much better than the dinner menus in terms of variety and flavor. I really miss the days when you could eat lunch in the MDR every day of your cruise!

Whether or not the main dining room's breakfast and lunch menus are better than what is available in the Windjammer is totally a matter of personal opinion and there are many,including me,who would argue otherwise. On the occasions when I have tried to have breakfast in the main dining room,including most recently when a special area was set aside for Diamond level members of C&A, I was put off by the portion-controlled plated meals, slow service and the difficulty in getting a second shot at toast and pastries since the assistant waiters who circulate with those items were frequently in other sections of the room serving the latest arrivals.

For lunch, I found the menu selection to be limited and virtually the same day in and day out. My wife loves the salad bar that is offered in the MDR, but it is not my cup of tea.

In the Windjammer, however, I find a much larger selection of food items at both breakfast and lunch. I can get what I want in whatever quantities I want and I know that the eggs cooked to order are freshly prepared as I ask, and haven't been sitting in the kitchen getting cold while my waiter is delivering or taking someone else's order.

At lunch there is a different roast carved and served each day, and a very wide selection of hot and cold vegetables, breads, salads, fruit, hot dogs, burgers, pizza etc. Desserts are wonderful and varied. The food stations that RCI has established have eliminated the cafeteria style buffet lines that I and many others find objectionable on other lines.

On Radiance class ships, the opportunity to dine alfresco in the open area aft of the main Windjammer is a wonderful option.

My way isn't necessarily the right or best way to enjoy breakfast or lunch but it is my preference and is certainly not uncivilized. I recommend that you give both options a try and then decide for yourself.:)

While I agree with negc that it is a matter of opinion on which you may prefer I must say that I completely disagree with him on the preference of windjammer over MDR. First I didn't think the portions were small in the MDR. Maybe I don't eat as much but I seldom left without thinking I ate too much. I will admit that once my food was cold but the waiter was very quick to apologize and fix the problem. My issue with windjammer is trying to find a place to sit. It seems I always end up there at peak times and finding a place to sit can be a challenge. I also feel rushed when I eat there. That is probably my personality but I feel the environment contributes to that since I don't feel that in the MDR. The MDR will take longer than a windjammer visit so if you are in a hurry consider that. I like both but if I want to ease into the morning with a nice breakfast, sip my coffee, enjoy some nice conversation with table mates then the MDR is the best option for me.

Wow, thanks for that detailed description! The salad bar at lunch sounds wonderful!

Whether or not the main dining room's breakfast and lunch menus are better than what is available in the Windjammer is totally a matter of personal opinion and there are many,including me,who would argue otherwise. On the occasions when I have tried to have breakfast in the main dining room,including most recently when a special area was set aside for Diamond level members of C&A, I was put off by the portion-controlled plated meals, slow service and the difficulty in getting a second shot at toast and pastries since the assistant waiters who circulate with those items were frequently in other sections of the room serving the latest arrivals.

For lunch, I found the menu selection to be limited and virtually the same day in and day out. My wife loves the salad bar that is offered in the MDR, but it is not my cup of tea.

In the Windjammer, however, I find a much larger selection of food items at both breakfast and lunch. I can get what I want in whatever quantities I want and I know that the eggs cooked to order are freshly prepared as I ask, and haven't been sitting in the kitchen getting cold while my waiter is delivering or taking someone else's order.

At lunch there is a different roast carved and served each day, and a very wide selection of hot and cold vegetables, breads, salads, fruit, hot dogs, burgers, pizza etc. Desserts are wonderful and varied. The food stations that RCI has established have eliminated the cafeteria style buffet lines that I and many others find objectionable on other lines.

On Radiance class ships, the opportunity to dine alfresco in the open area aft of the main Windjammer is a wonderful option.

My way isn't necessarily the right or best way to enjoy breakfast or lunch but it is my preference and is certainly not uncivilized. I recommend that you give both options a try and then decide for yourself.:)

You do have a point, tastes vary greatly from person to person. I don't mind the smaller dining room portions on cruises. I usually eat small portions at home, so this is perfect for me. However, I will also give the buffet a try...we still LOVE breakfast buffets especially! The only thing that makes me nervous about the buffet (mainly at lunch) is that my son is allergic to shellfish and I feel it would be more controlled in the MDR than at a buffet since passengers could end up inadvertently using the same serving spoon for a shrimp dish and another dish, without us knowing. That's the one thing that I get nervous about at buffets in general.

Wow, thanks for that detailed description! The salad bar at lunch sounds wonderful!

You do have a point, tastes vary greatly from person to person. I don't mind the smaller dining room portions on cruises. I usually eat small portions at home, so this is perfect for me. However, I will also give the buffet a try...we still LOVE breakfast buffets especially! The only thing that makes me nervous about the buffet (mainly at lunch) is that my son is allergic to shellfish and I feel it would be more controlled in the MDR than at a buffet since passengers could end up inadvertently using the same serving spoon for a shrimp dish and another dish, without us knowing. That's the one thing that I get nervous about at buffets in general.

I'm not sure I would be that much more comfortable since you have no way of knowing that the same thing couldn't happen back in the kitchen when the meals are being plated. It is certainly something to be seriously concerned about, but chances are that shellfish items will not be in such close proximity to other items that the same serving utensils would be used for both.

As far as preferring small portions, one of the advantages of serving yourself in the Windjammer is that you, not some cost-conscious kitchen worker, determine the size of the portions you receive.

We enjoy Lunch in the MDR on Explorer. I love the Tutti Salad station. (Although on our sail we renamed it the HAPPY SALAD, much to the servers delight!) they were almost dancing behind there! I posted a picture on another thread recently of what the salad station looks like with the servers/bowls behind. If you enjoy salad and someone else making it for you, this is a not to be missed lunch.

I agree with negc about breakfast in the MDR. Just our opinion, but they are just not as attentive and do seem to not 'care' whether you really wanted that juice you ordered or not. Any of the eggs benedict is served covered in a sauce that looks like hollandaise but has a strong mustard flavor :eek:. So, what? they need it to be a certain color for the visual effect before taste? I was confused by that. My palette expected hollandaise but was tasting mustard. I know hollandaise recipes vary, but come on Royal, mustard? [ok, sorry for getting off topic a bit]

I also very much "DISLIKE" searching for a table in WJ, I wish-wish-wish Royal could do something about this. But, I do like fresh made egg white omelets, so that is where we usually eat. [after early morning room service coffee on the balcony and a croissant]

Oh, time to look at cruise pics, b/c looking at the time here, if I was on a cruise, I would be on the pool deck sipping a cocktail thinking about a happy salad!

We enjoy Lunch in the MDR on Explorer. I love the Tutti Salad station. (Although on our sail we renamed it the HAPPY SALAD, much to the servers delight!) they were almost dancing behind there! I posted a picture on another thread recently of what the salad station looks like with the servers/bowls behind. If you enjoy salad and someone else making it for you, this is a not to be missed lunch.

I agree with negc about breakfast in the MDR. Just our opinion, but they are just not as attentive and do seem to not 'care' whether you really wanted that juice you ordered or not. Any of the eggs benedict is served covered in a sauce that looks like hollandaise but has a strong mustard flavor :eek:. So, what? they need it to be a certain color for the visual effect before taste? I was confused by that. My palette expected hollandaise but was tasting mustard. I know hollandaise recipes vary, but come on Royal, mustard? [ok, sorry for getting off topic a bit]

I also very much "DISLIKE" searching for a table in WJ, I wish-wish-wish Royal could do something about this. But, I do like fresh made egg white omelets, so that is where we usually eat. [after early morning room service coffee on the balcony and a croissant]

Oh, time to look at cruise pics, b/c looking at the time here, if I was on a cruise, I would be on the pool deck sipping a cocktail thinking about a happy salad!

I also don't like having to look for a table at the buffets on cruise ships. But, most of the time this is really not a huge problem, to be honest.

I wouldn't expect hollandaise to have a mustard taste to it either. And I also love egg white omelettes! We will definitely be doing a combination of MDR breakfasts and buffet breakfasts!

I'm not sure I would be that much more comfortable since you have no way of knowing that the same thing couldn't happen back in the kitchen when the meals are being plated. It is certainly something to be seriously concerned about, but chances are that shellfish items will not be in such close proximity to other items that the same serving utensils would be used for both.

As far as preferring small portions, one of the advantages of serving yourself in the Windjammer is that you, not some cost-conscious kitchen worker, determine the size of the portions you receive.

True about the same thing being possible in the kitchen, but if we let them know in the MDR in advance, it would make me feel better. I know this is easier for dinners though, because we have traditional dining and will have the same server every night. So after the first day, they will know about my son's allergy.

I agree with you completely about controlling your own portion at the buffet. Sometimes I just want a tiny taste of something, so I only take a tiny amount. This is a definitely advantage. However, the small portions in the dining room simply don't bother me.

I prefer the dining room for breakfast...so much nicer than a buffet. If you want a double order, just tell them...no big deal. On the menu, for instance, there are eggs and meat (of some kind), so I add an order of french toast....plus, all the condiments are right there on the table.

If you need something, just catch your waiter's eye...they will hop right to it!

It's either guest tables or more serving islands to avoid lines, and they went with the latter;)

Of course you could go to both the MDR and Windjammer if you want. That's one beauty of a cruise. Often I would wake up before my wife would, and go to the MDR to eat. (One advantage of being a man -- just brush the teeth and hair, throw on some shorts, shirt, and shoes, and go.) Later when my wife woke up, we would go to the Lido buffet, and I'd get some more bacon and tator tots, juice, and coffee. Yummmm.

Explorer OTS has Cafe Promenade on Deck 5. Don't forget about this place. It is free (well, OK, included in the initial cruise price). Good pre-made sandwiches, better pizza than the Lido, and great desserts. Also Seattle's Best Coffee -- much better than the MDR or Lido to me. Cafe Promenade is open 24 hours, I think. Oh, they have great Danish pastries for breakfast.

Also, don't forget about the Island Grill. It is on deck 11 past the initial Windjammer Buffet. The buffet part here is mostly the same as the Windjammer, but they do have a grill in the middle that serves omlettes in the morning, and maybe stir fry chinese or made-to-order pasta for lunch. Also this is where to get free hamburgers -- now the patties are pre-made and sitting in a warming tray, but they aren't bad. There is pizza here too, but I think pizza is better in Cafe Promenade. Also check for snacks here in the afternoon, like nachos or tacos. Often the Island Grill area is not as crowded, so check here if you can't find a table or the line is too long in the Windjammer.

More options: On the last full day or maybe the day before it, check if there is anything served poolside. One time on the Voyager OTS (same ship layout as yours), we had jerk chicken wings.

And for lunch you also have Johnny Rockets, but it does cost more -- $4.95 per person last time I went, and drinks not included.

As for fixed time for breakfast and lunch in the MDR, the first 3 cruises we were on had this. Sometime around 2002, ships changes to "freestyle" for breakfast and lunch. Some lines might still have fixed MDR breakfast and lunch times. Anyone know?

Enjoy your cruise.

Of course you could go to both the MDR and Windjammer if you want. That's one beauty of a cruise. Often I would wake up before my wife would, and go to the MDR to eat. (One advantage of being a man -- just brush the teeth and hair, throw on some shorts, shirt, and shoes, and go.) Later when my wife woke up, we would go to the Lido buffet, and I'd get some more bacon and tator tots, juice, and coffee. Yummmm.

Explorer OTS has Cafe Promenade on Deck 5. Don't forget about this place. It is free (well, OK, included in the initial cruise price). Good pre-made sandwiches, better pizza than the Lido, and great desserts. Also Seattle's Best Coffee -- much better than the MDR or Lido to me. Cafe Promenade is open 24 hours, I think. Oh, they have great Danish pastries for breakfast.

Also, don't forget about the Island Grill. It is on deck 11 past the initial Windjammer Buffet. The buffet part here is mostly the same as the Windjammer, but they do have a grill in the middle that serves omlettes in the morning, and maybe stir fry chinese or made-to-order pasta for lunch. Also this is where to get free hamburgers -- now the patties are pre-made and sitting in a warming tray, but they aren't bad. There is pizza here too, but I think pizza is better in Cafe Promenade. Also check for snacks here in the afternoon, like nachos or tacos. Often the Island Grill area is not as crowded, so check here if you can't find a table or the line is too long in the Windjammer.

More options: On the last full day or maybe the day before it, check if there is anything served poolside. One time on the Voyager OTS (same ship layout as yours), we had jerk chicken wings.

And for lunch you also have Johnny Rockets, but it does cost more -- $4.95 per person last time I went, and drinks not included.

As for fixed time for breakfast and lunch in the MDR, the first 3 cruises we were on had this. Sometime around 2002, ships changes to "freestyle" for breakfast and lunch. Some lines might still have fixed MDR breakfast and lunch times. Anyone know?

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you, we will definitely consider all those options. Good thing we have 9 days to enjoy all of them!

I remember the days when breakfast and lunch were at a set time. First seating breakfast was usually around 7:30am (7am on port days!), lunch around noon. And for second seating, breakfast was around 9am (maybe 9:30 on port days?), and lunch around 2 or 2:30 pm. I remember lunch being open seating only on port days (dining room was not busy, as most people were on land enjoying their day). Maybe they even did it as a buffet in the dining room on port days, at least on a couple of cruises I was on. But this was back in the early 1990s! The last few cruises, breakfast and lunch were open seating all days, and dinner was the only set meal. Except on Norwegian, where it was always open seating.

I didnt realise lunch was also served in the MDR on sea days , we were on the Navigator in june and always went to the Winjammer for lunch , we are on Freedom next month so will definately give the MDR a go for lunch , what other than salad do they serve ? I am a great lover of salad but dh isnt as keen .

I didnt realise lunch was also served in the MDR on sea days , we were on the Navigator in june and always went to the Winjammer for lunch , we are on Freedom next month so will definately give the MDR a go for lunch , what other than salad do they serve ? I am a great lover of salad but dh isnt as keen .

Someone captured a lunch menu on this thread --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1116688

I remember some sandwiches, fish & chips, burger, one soup only (changes daily). Lunch menu itself is pretty much the same each day except the soup and one hot special changes daily. I miss the BBQ ribs they used to have at lunch. :( Oh, you order your dessert at the same time you order everything else. And, you can get the salad (from the middle of the dining room) and still order from the menu. It's all-you-can-eat, as always.

I was put off by the portion-controlled plated meals, slow service and the difficulty in getting a second shot at toast and pastries since the assistant waiters who circulate with those items were frequently in other sections of the room serving the latest arrivals.

I recommend that you give both options a try and then decide for yourself.:)

I understand your frustration at the portion control, but that and the pacing are one of the main reasons I like the MDR for breakfast and lunch. You eat less when you have the portion control, and you eat slower, which means you fill up faster. For a diabetic like me, it's a good thing. But, the "me" from 10 years ago would have agreed with you whole hog (no pun intended)(okay, maybe a little pun intended, but it was directed at me, not at you).:)

I think you're right about trying both options. On NCL we found that the MDR food at breakfast tasted like it was cooked the day before and warmed over. Depending on the ship, MDR food in the morning can be quite bad.

When we were on the AOS, we loved the Windjammer and the food there was very good, and that was the first time on a cruise that we had ever eaten more in the cafe than the MDR. So your advice is good.

Someone captured a lunch menu on this thread --> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1116688

I remember some sandwiches, fish & chips, burger, one soup only (changes daily). Lunch menu itself is pretty much the same each day except the soup and one hot special changes daily. I miss the BBQ ribs they used to have at lunch. :( Oh, you order your dessert at the same time you order everything else. And, you can get the salad (from the middle of the dining room) and still order from the menu. It's all-you-can-eat, as always.

Here is another site with lots of pictures of menus and items --> http://www.cruisegoers.com/mariner/food/menu-and-pictures-day-2/

Lunch menu is the 2nd picture in the series.

(I'm laughing at the way the CC site compresses URLS, and it makes the above site seem almost naughty.)

Thanks a lot for these links! I'm going to check them out right now!

I wish they had BBQ ribs too, but I make ribs myself, using the Neely's recipe from the Food Network, and every since I started making them I have become sort of a "rib snob"! Even pickier about them now than I was before.

LOL about CC making the URL look naughty!! Too funny! :)

We eat breakfast and lunch in the WJ. I'm simply not interested in the formal, sit down environment during the day. I've always felt that the MDR takes up way too much time; about 3-4 hours a day if you opt for a the full service reataurant. I would rather spend my time doing other things:D

I understand your frustration at the portion control, but that and the pacing are one of the main reasons I like the MDR for breakfast and lunch. You eat less when you have the portion control, and you eat slower, which means you fill up faster. For a diabetic like me, it's a good thing. But, the "me" from 10 years ago would have agreed with you whole hog (no pun intended)(okay, maybe a little pun intended, but it was directed at me, not at you).:)

My thought is that the person controlling the portions should be me and not some person back in the kitchen whose primary concern is controlling costs not insuring that I am eating healthy. I can do that in the Windjammer, where dining doesn't mean succumbing to an "all you can eat" philosophy. It has been thirty years since I had a check list so that I didn't miss an opportunity to eat whatever was available whenever it was available. I, too, am a diabetic but it I have no difficulty in controlling what and when I eat and for me, the Windjammer best suits my requirements.

I WISH we had the option of the MDR, but our experience at attempting to eat lunch there on the second day was SO bad that it was the WJ after that! That being my experience, I was satisfied with the food there. While finding a seat was a bit of a challenge-and in Alaska you didn't want an outdoor table all the time-I found that if you treat it as your own 'grocery store" there was always something good! I found the scrambled eggs to be surprisingly good (& I'm kind of spoiled!) and if you get some of the smoked salmon to go with them-yum! Bring on the sour cream & dill! (Just my opinion!)

We are usually in a group of anywhere from 6-10. When we are planning for everyone to go on an excursion, we usually meet for breakfast. It's nea impossible to get a large table in the Windjammer and someone has to wait, hold the table, etc. We went to the MDR on one of our first cruises on the last morning and said, "why have we not done THIS before now..." They seated us all at one table immediately. They brought a tray of pastries while we looked over the menu and had a cup of coffee. The service was fabulous and we were out of there in half the time we woud have spent in the Windjammer. The selection was fine and you can ask for the usual bacon, eggs plate, along with the pancakes or whatever strikes you on the menu. No problems. We also like being able to occasionally be able to go to the MDR for lunch. The "Tutti" salad is great. You point to the type of lettuce, meats of all kinds, veggies of choice and dressing of choice. They toss it and then put it on a plate for you. We feel in love with this and it was worth throwing on a pair of shorts and t-shirt to go have a nice, cool, quiet relaxing lunch then head back up to the pool or back off the ship for a little shopping. We love the Promenade Cafe and the sandwiches and pizza. Can't wait to try Sorrentos on FOS on next cruise. We love the choices.

We are usually in a group of anywhere from 6-10. When we are planning for everyone to go on an excursion, we usually meet for breakfast. It's nea impossible to get a large table in the Windjammer and someone has to wait, hold the table, etc. We went to the MDR on one of our first cruises on the last morning and said, "why have we not done THIS before now..." They seated us all at one table immediately. They brought a tray of pastries while we looked over the menu and had a cup of coffee. The service was fabulous and we were out of there in half the time we woud have spent in the Windjammer. The selection was fine and you can ask for the usual bacon, eggs plate, along with the pancakes or whatever strikes you on the menu. No problems. We also like being able to occasionally be able to go to the MDR for lunch. The "Tutti" salad is great. You point to the type of lettuce, meats of all kinds, veggies of choice and dressing of choice. They toss it and then put it on a plate for you. We feel in love with this and it was worth throwing on a pair of shorts and t-shirt to go have a nice, cool, quiet relaxing lunch then head back up to the pool or back off the ship for a little shopping. We love the Promenade Cafe and the sandwiches and pizza. Can't wait to try Sorrentos on FOS on next cruise. We love the choices.

This is an issue for us at time as well, since we usually travel with a large group. So far, there are 10 of us altogether for our next cruise. More people may be joining us, but 10 of us are booked already. On our last cruise (on NCL), we were a group of 21! So, getting larger tables was sometimes a challenge at the buffet. But...when it is just DH and me and our 2 boys, it's not a problem.

Archived