Gibralta shore excursion ( private tour)

One thing you may want to consider is when you get off the ship there will be lots of tour guides/vehicles available for tours. You could do a tour for a few hours and then afterwards have them drop you back off into town where you can spend a few hours walking around there.

Keith

One thing you may want to consider is when you get off the ship there will be lots of tour guides/vehicles available for tours. You could do a tour for a few hours and then afterwards have them drop you back off into town where you can spend a few hours walking around there.

Keith

Thanks for the info, Keith. Do you have any guides whom you could recommend to us? I am hesistant about the idea of randomly selecting a guide when we arrive. It is sort of risky ;-) Much appreciated.

eyeopener I am afraid I don't have a guide but hopefully someone else will.

I normally would only use a guide we pre-booked but this is one of the few places where the guides at the pier all seem good. But hopefully someone will have a name for you.

Keith

eyeopener I am afraid I don't have a guide but hopefully someone else will.

I normally would only use a guide we pre-booked but this is one of the few places where the guides at the pier all seem good. But hopefully someone will have a name for you.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Could you please shed some light on what are must-sees in Gibralta? Since, we are first timers so we would like to see as much as we can in a day? Thanks

Lilian

I am assuming you mean Gilbraltar? I suggest you find out what you want to do first?? A very popular option is to go to the mt, and see the sights, caves, apes, tunnels. You don't need a "guide", all you need is the transportation. If you walk into town, and down the main shopping street a few blocks, in the square, there are taxis lined up to take you there for 25 euros. Includes admissions, and a fraction of the ship tour costs.

I am assuming you mean Gilbraltar? I suggest you find out what you want to do first?? A very popular option is to go to the mt, and see the sights, caves, apes, tunnels. You don't need a "guide", all you need is the transportation. If you walk into town, and down the main shopping street a few blocks, in the square, there are taxis lined up to take you there for 25 euros. Includes admissions, and a fraction of the ship tour costs.

You don't have to walk into town,

The cars are lined up right outside the pier.

You can get a taxi, or you can get a driver/guide.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Could you please shed some light on what are must-sees in Gibralta? Since, we are first timers so we would like to see as much as we can in a day? Thanks

Lilian

Lilian,

Some people will take a car tour that will include visiting Gibraltar's runway, which is one of the smallest in the world. From there they will drive near the border to Spain and also stop by to view the Governor's Residence.

There is the upper rock which many go to where you can see those famous Barbary Apes.

There are some famous tunnels from World War II that you can also view.

I would spend a few hours in town. There is a beautiful park in the town, lots of shops and cafes. There are several synagogues as well and churches.

I would take a look at a tour book or go on line to see what is available and start reading about the area.

It is a nice town and a good deal of it is easy to see by foot in addition to the places I noted.

The walk into town is about 15 minutes from the dock.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

thanks Budget Queen.

Lilian,

Some people will take a car tour that will include visiting Gibraltar's runway, which is one of the smallest in the world. From there they will drive near the border to Spain and also stop by to view the Governor's Residence.

There is the upper rock which many go to where you can see those famous Barbary Apes.

There are some famous tunnels from World War II that you can also view.

I would spend a few hours in town. There is a beautiful park in the town, lots of shops and cafes. There are several synagogues as well and churches.

I would take a look at a tour book or go on line to see what is available and start reading about the area.

It is a nice town and a good deal of it is easy to see by foot in addition to the places I noted.

The walk into town is about 15 minutes from the dock.

Keith

Thanks so much for sharing this. It is certainly helpful.

Lilian

Lilian, you are very welcome. Good luck as you figure this out.

Keith

One more question, Keith. Is it difficult to find a Taxi like a Van that can fit 6 passengers at the pier? Do you happen to know the rate for a van? Thanks!

L.

Lilian, there were lots of vans at the pier that could acommodate six people so you'll be fine. I am not sure about the price but I seem to remember it was fairly reasonable. When you dock try to be off the ship as soon as the ship is cleared and you will be fine.

Keith

We do not think you have to be concerned about just randomly picking up a driver/guide at the pier. Gibraltar is actually a very easy place to see on your own or with a driver. The bottom line is that just about all the drivers will take you on the same tour up the rock and you will simply move along in traffic with all the other tours. We personally just enjoy going off on our own (we do this most everyplace). Its a lot of fun to take the cable car up to the top station (tours do not use the cable car) where we enjoy just takng a long walk (mostly on a down slope) along the road down to the middle cable car station where we simply take the cable car back down to town. Then, if the weather is good, we enjoy lunch and a few drinks at a local outdoor cafe. Doing the walk from the top down to the middle station gives us some exercise, lets us enjoy the monkeys, the views from both sides, the cave, etc.

Hank

You don't have to walk into town,

The cars are lined up right outside the pier.

You can get a taxi, or you can get a driver/guide.

Keith

However, when I was there last year, the port cabs were double the price of in town. Just another option I am posting.

Lilian,

Some people will take a car tour that will include visiting Gibraltar's runway, which is one of the smallest in the world.

Not sure about the "smallest". The feature of this run way is that a public road runs across it. They are working on a tunnel. But for now, the traffic has to be stopped on each side for landings.

Not sure about the "smallest". The feature of this run way is that a public road runs across it. They are working on a tunnel. But for now, the traffic has to be stopped on each side for landings.

WOW! We have been to Gibraltar about 7 or 8 times and have never seen fit to visit the runway! As a licensed private pilot and ex Air Force guy I must admit that I see no great reason to see another runway. Sure, they have a road, but we have seen many roads across the end of runways at AF bases (sometimes they stop cars for low flying planes). The really interesting thing about the Gibraltar runway (for pilots) is that for many years the Spanish government refused fly-over rights for planes landing or taking off. This created some major problems and forced plans to make turns when they were low and slow which is not a good thing.

But now for my rant. We used to love the charm of Gibraltar, but this has been totally ruined by the tremendous condo construction boom which turned this place into an overcrowded strip of land full of too many liquor stores and jewelry shops all catering to tourists. Most of the cute boutiques and other shops have been driven-out by high rents and town is quickly turning into the Charlotte Amalie of the Med (yuck).

Even the monkeys have lost some of their charm. They now have caretakers and are well fed and cared for! Sometimes it seems like the monkeys find the tourists boring :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

WOW! We have been to Gibraltar about 7 or 8 times and have never seen fit to visit the runway! As a licensed private pilot and ex Air Force guy I must admit that I see no great reason to see another runway. Sure, they have a road, but we have seen many roads across the end of runways at AF bases (sometimes they stop cars for low flying planes). The really interesting thing about the Gibraltar runway (for pilots) is that for many years the Spanish government refused fly-over rights for planes landing or taking off. This created some major problems and forced plans to make turns when they were low and slow which is not a good thing.

But now for my rant. We used to love the charm of Gibraltar, but this has been totally ruined by the tremendous condo construction boom which turned this place into an overcrowded strip of land full of too many liquor stores and jewelry shops all catering to tourists. Most of the cute boutiques and other shops have been driven-out by high rents and town is quickly turning into the Charlotte Amalie of the Med (yuck).

Even the monkeys have lost some of their charm. They now have caretakers and are well fed and cared for! Sometimes it seems like the monkeys find the tourists boring :)

Hank

Unfortunately, in many parts of the world (including the USA) places continue to change over time. There are not many places that haven't changed over the last 50 years.

We still enjoy Gibralter. When we visit we get into town early in the morning before all of the tourists flood the city. We have also been fortunate to visit there in the times of the year when there are a bit less tourists and we still enjoy the charm of the town whether that is viisiting the synagogues or seeing the children go to school or talking with many of the locals.

My point about the runway was not that someone should make a special visit just to it but that if someone was riding around in a taxi that this would be one of several places they could see.

Keith

Did not say smallest, just noted that it is one of the smallest.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I realize this post is over 5 years old. Has anyone visited Gibraltar recently. Are the taxis still available and is the fare per person or per car? What is the charge now.

A taxi tour is well worth the money. We're not long back from Gibraltar and the cost was £22 per person, or €33. This cost includes all admission prices. The taxi vans seat up to 8 people and are comfortable, air conditioned vehicles.

You can pick up a van from a queue just outside the pier, but when we were there 2 ships were in port and the queue was about 30 minutes long. There was no shade so we carried on to Casements square. We did a bit of shopping (very cheap booze!), stopped for a drink and then carried on walking up the High Street. It's very pleasant to wander around the shops in Gibraltar. Just past Marks and Spencer and the church on your left you see a small square on your right with a large orange sun parasol. This is another taxi tour point. There are seats and shade and we waited no longer than 10 minutes for a van.

It's safe to leave your shopping on the van while you're seeing the sights and you can ask your driver to drop you back at the pier rather than back in the centre of town.