Euro Train to Paris

Dear friends: The overnight train to Paris is very expensive, and takes quite a long time. The flight is only about an hour-and-a-half and the fares are dirt cheap. My recommendation would be to fly.

Kind regards, Gunther and Uta

Agree strongly with our German friends. That overnight train is a long, long trip, plus many people do not always sleep well on such trips at night. Plus, you need to have your bags and items fully secured as you travel during the night. While you're sleep, others who are not always honest might not be. The cost could run $300-700 per person, depending on your arrangements. Riding second class would not be "fun" in my view. It's about a twelve hour (9 pm to 9 am) trip up and from 8:30 pm to 8:30 am going back. I love the trains in Europe, but this routing is not that fast, nor ideal.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was trying to see if we could fly from Venice to Barcelon with Easy Jet but I could not see Barcelona as a destination it flew to from Venice.

Do you have other airline possibilities from Venice to Barcelona ?

Dave

Try Easy Jet, Europes cheapo airline.

I have never taken the train but have read on CC that it leaves Paris at 8:30 pm and arrives in Barcelona at 8:30 am. I also may be interested but would prefer to leave Paris in the morning and be able to see the country side on route to Barcelona.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was trying to see if we could fly from Venice to Barcelon with Easy Jet but I could not see Barcelona as a destination it flew to from Venice. Do you have other airline possibilities from Venice to Barcelona ?

There are daytime train options from Paris to Barcelona' date=' but they involve a train change. One example is departing at 11:20AM from Paris Gare Lyon with a train change and small lay-over in Narbonne, arriving at 7:59PM at Barcelona-Estacio De Franca. I would not call this an exciting or that scenic of a rail route. It gets you there, but the views are a little limited. By flying, you won't miss much that you would have seen by taking a rail trip.

For low-cost air, you can check:

http://www.flylc.com/directall-en.asp

and see options from Vueling airline or from another airport near Venice that is connected by RyanAir.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This does not sound too expensive for me:

MINI COUPLE

112 euros* one way in Club Class or 161 euros* in Grand Class 112 EUROS* ONE WAY IN CLUB CLASS OR 161 EUROS* IN GRAND CLASS TO BARCELONA, PARIS, MADRID, MILAN, GENEVA, LAUSANNE, FREIBURG, BERNE AND ZURICH.

Make an early reservation and enjoy the Trainhotel Elipsos at a really incredible price with our Mini Couple offer, valid in Grand Class and Club Class and for reservations made more than 14 days before the journey date and for purchases made in Spain, Italy, France or Switzerland. The complete roomette must be reserved. Price per person and for one way. The number of places available with this offer is limited.

*Offer available from 13/09/2010 to 14/04/2011. 134€ in Club Class and 179€ in Grand Class from 18/06/2010 to 12/09/2010. Prices one way per person.

and

MINI OFFER: 72 euros

Enjoy the Elipsos Trenhotel at a really incredible price: 72 euros* 72 euros* ONE WAY TO BARCELONA, PARIS, MADRID, MILAN, TURIN, GENEVA, LAUSANNE, FRIBOURG, BERNE AND ZURICH... MINI OFFER: valid in all the Elipsos Trenhotel in Tourist Class for purchases made in Spain, Italy, France or Switzerland, and for reservations made more than 14 days before the journey date. Price per person and for one way.The number of places available with this offer is limited. *Offer available from 13/09/2010 to 14/04/2011. 89€ from 18/06/2010 to 12/09/2010. Price per person.

and all information you find here:

http://www.elipsos.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3

Regards

HeinBloed

I am a bit of a train freak and have taken the overnight Barcelona-Paris train and enjoyed it. Some people do not sleep well on trains. Note the deals HeinBloed listed. It does, however, get expensive if you do not buy well in advance.

Low cost airlines:

Vueling flies to Orly and is a very good low cost airline. (This is my normal way to get between the Barcelona and Paris)

easyJet flies to CDG.

The other low cost carriers do NOT use the main Barcelona airport. I would strongly advise against this (why take a long bus ride to east nowhere if you don't have to?).

Air France does this route also.

Hint: If you do decide to fly, leave the excess luggage at Barcelona as excess luggage (and the limits are quite low) gets expensive.

This website may be helpful: http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm#Barcelona It covers the journey by train from London to Barcelona via Paris and therefore deals with the sleeper train between Paris and Barcelona.

I am thinking of trying this route next summer myself, so am researching it at the moment.

Thank you for posting such a wonderful, informative web site.... giving me some good ideas! :)

For Venice to BCN, definitely check into using Vueling. I used their flight BCN-Pisa back in April. Quality airline. I did like that they use the main airports, not the out-of-the-way ones like RyanAir. I'd actually check them out for any of my flights now that I have to make in Europe, with EasyJet being my backup. I had to do EasyJet Pisa-Paris (Orly) for the last part of my trip. It was a pain to deal with their very strict ONE piece of cabin baggage (no carryon+purse), but I was lucky to have my one piece of cabin baggage big enough to put my other bag inside of it, even though I couldn't zip it back up!

Archived