Need help with train from airport to termini station in Rome

JEBurton

I am trying to determine how much trouble it will be to take the express train from the Rome airport to the main train station Termini.

We will have 2 large suitcases (wheeled) and 2 shoulder bags. Where on the train is the luggage stored?

After arriving at the main station in Rome, how long a walk is it to the station exit and are there stairs to climb?

Any details you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

There is no place to store luggage on the Leonardo Express, you wind up jamming into any place you can, or taking up seats with it.

From the tracks that the LE comes in on to the exit of the train station on Piazza dei Cinqucento is about three city blocks.

Is there some reason you need to go to Termini?

Did you know that there is a bus option, which costs less, is clean, comfortable and has luggage storage underneath? It does take longer, however.

Bus timetable can be seen here: http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/images/p...us_shuttle.pdf

Reservations can be made here: http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/

The reason we are going to Termini is that we will be staying at Mediterraneo Hotel on Via Cavour 15, which appears to be only 2 blocks from Termini.

Please tell me more about the bus option: Where does the bus pick up passengers arriving at FCO? Can I purchase tickets after we arrive at FCO?

This is actually a backup plan to get to our hotel. Talfagar provides a free shuttle which leaves FCO at 9:30 am. We are scheduled to land at 8:30 am which means we'd have to be on time, clear customs and immigration, fetch our luggage and get to the shuttle pick up point all in 1 hour. Not sure that's going to happen. Next free shuttle is in 3 hours - too much time to kill at the airport.

thanks for your responses.

Ah, in which case Termini is exactly right. That pic of me is walking back to Termini from our hotel just off Via Cavour--in the rain of course! But that is a good plan based on where your hotel is located. There's just nothing charming or 'Romanesque' about Termini!!!

Please tell me more about the bus option: Where does the bus pick up passengers arriving at FCO? Can I purchase tickets after we arrive at FCO?

If you follow the link I provided (above) you can find the information about where the bus stops. And yes, you can purchase tickets on the spot, so it will work well as a backup plan.

About how much does a taxi cost - for two persons - to go from FCO to a hotel near the Vatican. After looking at the train and bus schedules, I feel that a taxi may be the way to get into Rome. Times, stops and pricing are confusing. Also, according to the following link your luggage is not guaranteed on the bus, against theft.

http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=55&lang=en

The set fare for a taxi from FCO to most locations with the city walls is 40 Euro, regardless of the number of people. This set fare will be increasing to 45 Euro, but the implementation date is not clear and the city web site is, so far, silent on the issue as far as I can see.

Regarding luggage safety on the bus, you could do the same thing you do to ensure its safety in a taxi, that is, stand with it until the luggage hold is closed, then enter the bus.

The set fare for a taxi from FCO to most locations with the city walls is 40 Euro, regardless of the number of people. This set fare will be increasing to 45 Euro, but the implementation date is not clear and the city web site is, so far, silent on the issue as far as I can see.

Sounds reasonable. We paid about $45 + gratuity when going from our hotel - Hotel Canada to FCO w/ 6 persons in 2008.

Regarding luggage safety on the bus, you could do the same thing you do to ensure its safety in a taxi, that is, stand with it until the luggage hold is closed, then enter the bus.

I guess I was more worried about the luggage being taken out of the hold before we embarked the bus.;) My DH always makes sure he sees our luggage go to the hold.

DrivesLikeMario The bus is 30Euros for 2 adults from FCO to Termini. For only 10Euros more, you can take a taxi that will take you directly to the door of your hotel. To me, that is definitely worth it after a long flight across many time zones!

That's certainly what I was thinking. And, for some reason, I thought the train was much less. :rolleyes:

There is no place to store luggage on the Leonardo Express, you wind up jamming into any place you can, or taking up seats with it.

In my experience, the cars do have a place for luggage, generally on the floor in a divided off area near the door. Both times I've used it from the airport this was the case and I was able to get a seat near enough to keep a close eye on my bag. Sounds like you had a different experience though!

That's certainly what I was thinking. And, for some reason, I thought the train was much less. :rolleyes:

Most trains are less. But the Leonardo Express is rather pricey and I agree with others that for 2 or more you might as well get a taxi. And if you'll need to get a taxi anyway from Termini to your hotel, you really might as well just get a taxi from the airport as you won't save much.

I guess I was more worried about the luggage being taken out of the hold before we embarked the bus.;) My DH always makes sure he sees our luggage go to the hold.

I thought the same thing until I checked it out awhile ago. I figured the train would be much less than a taxi, but the LE is not. The other train that makes many stops is less, but I don't remember the price.

Although I adore trains, after two very long flights from the west coast with minimal (if any) sleep and arriving in a country where I don't speak the language as well as I'd like to, I figure a taxi is the best way to get to our hotel. We can relax, let someone else take us there and enjoy our first look of Italy. ;)

I'd go for the extra 10 Euro for the taxi as well, but I like to know what my options are.

Cynthia, I've taken that *#&()! Leonardo Express maybe five times in the past ten years, and each time I tell myself "never again", but then I forget, or figure it's easiest, or whatever. I guess I'm just a slow learner, but even in the off-off-season (January, February) I've found the train wildly crowded, with no place to store my bags. Maybe I just got there too late, after everyone else had boarded? Whatever the reason, I have a very bad taste in my mouth and memory about that train.

I was so thrilled this year when I realized I could catch an IC train to Naples at Roma Ostiense, so I didn't have to go to Termini. Yeah!

I thought the same thing until I checked it out awhile ago. I figured the train would be much less than a taxi, but the LE is not. The other train that makes many stops is less, but I don't remember the price.

Although I adore trains, after two very long flights from the west coast with minimal (if any) sleep and arriving in a country where I don't speak the language as well as I'd like to, I figure a taxi is the best way to get to our hotel. We can relax, let someone else take us there and enjoy our first look of Italy. ;)

THANK YOU!! We also were going to take the train in October, but after reading this info we'll definitely be taking a taxi. Are there certain taxis we should look for....or are they all licensed by the city and OK to take?

THANK YOU!! We also were going to take the train in October, but after reading this info we'll definitely be taking a taxi. Are there certain taxis we should look for....or are they all licensed by the city and OK to take?

You're welcome. ;) You need to get a WHITE taxi. These are the ones that are licensed.

"Airport Connection : Taxi - Shuttle : Make sure you take an official marked taxi. These are white, with 'taxi' lights on top, and each has a taxi license number. From October 2006, taxi prices have been capped. From Fiumicino into central Rome should cost precisely €40. Shuttle should be cheaper than taxis."

Archived