who is Perry Grant?

babyorca

I love perry, my husband loves perry and the 6 friends we took along to see see on our baltic cruise last year all love perry. It is my belief that those of you who don't love him have no sense of humor. The music in his act is secondary- although he is a fine pianist and singer. For the music we would go once maybe twice a cruise. For the laughing until it hurts we went for hours every night- all 8 of us. I am now suffering a severe case of perry withdrawal. I think I'll watch him on U-tube now.

I beg your pardon, but saying people who don't "love" his performance have no sense of humor is a little over the top in my opinion.

I think we are all entitled to our opinion and both my wife and I would have to be, bound, gagged and dragged to see another of his performances. To expand on this, we did not enjoy his show and won’t be attending another. More room for those of you who do want to see him.

To those who enjoy his show, good for you, but please respect the right of those of us who don’t, to have and express an opinion different than yours.

To each their own, and that’s really what makes the world go round.

Well I wasn't going to post any more on this subject, but I just have to thank you Barbels for your post. I couldn't have said it better myself. After someone said they left after one song, I was going to tell them that it isn't the songs that draw me at all but the humor. Perry is able to draw people out and before they know it, he has them laughing at themselves. I laughed till my sides ached, and yes, we skipped dessert to get to his shows.

As I said, we left because it was way too loud to enjoy. Perhaps if he didn't use an amplifier in the very small room, it would be different. But we're not going to sit and have our ears blown out because of the too loud everything.

wpg cruiser, of course he is not going to be everyone's favorite! I happen to enjoy his shows very much but I can imagine to some he would be like fingernails on a chalkboard. As you so rightly point out, it just leaves more room for those of us who are fans!:)

I beg your pardon, but saying people who don't "love" his performance have no sense of humor is a little over the top in my opinion.

I think we are all entitled to our opinion and both my wife and I would have to be, bound, gagged and dragged to see another of his performances. To expand on this, we did not enjoy his show and won’t be attending another. More room for those of you who do want to see him.

To those who enjoy his show, good for you, but please respect the right of those of us who don’t, to have and express an opinion different than yours.

To each their own, and that’s really what makes the world go round.

I totally agree. There are many types of humor and not everyone enjoys each kind. As an example, some people think slapstick is very funny but I have never found it so. There is also subtle humor which many people do not understand and it just flies over their heads.

There is sarcasm as well, which many people find very clever and funny. There is "bawdy" humor which many people love but which turns many people off. These are just a few examples. Not to toot my own horn, but I have been told countless times how great my sense of humor was so I found it ironic to read the post that said that those who did not appreciate Perry must lack a sense of humor.

Thank goodness that we have such diversity among us or the world would certainly be a very boring place.

I have a fourth cruise booked on the Constellation, and it is only to be around the piano in Michael's. Perry Grant is an unbelievably talented entertainer, who works hard night after night to keep passengers laughing and singing. It's a lot of fun to be in the room, if you can find a seat. He's the whole package, accomplished pianist, great singer, soooooo funny and the nicest gentleman. I will "return, return, return" as often as I can!

Sorry I insulted your senses of humor. I should have said your sense of humor must be totally different from mine and the hundreds of us who find Perry hysterical. I'd hate to have people miss the Perry experience because they stop in for one song and then leave.

I have a fourth cruise booked on the Constellation, and it is only to be around the piano in Michael's. Perry Grant is an unbelievably talented entertainer, who works hard night after night to keep passengers laughing and singing. It's a lot of fun to be in the room, if you can find a seat. He's the whole package, accomplished pianist, great singer, soooooo funny and the nicest gentleman. I will "return, return, return" as often as I can!

My sentiments exactly! Perry presents a light-hearted evening of fun. His repertoire of the old songs is beyond fantastic and he delivers them in his own unique/incredible style. Add in the audience participation, and you have, as far as I am concerned, the perfect entertainment package.

I too, book around Perry where possible. Positions everybody! Yes, yes, yes!

M.

I'm going on the connie for the 2nd time and I only pray Perry will be on! leaving next week, and so far the rumors are he WILL be there. He is fascinating to all of you who haven't seen him. His music is delightful, his humor is delicious and his personality is devilish! I just hope I can get a seat!!! Haven't seen him in 3 1/2 yrs and I still play his cd! so I guess you could say I'm perrified.

Sorry I insulted your senses of humor. I should have said your sense of humor must be totally different from mine and the hundreds of us who find Perry hysterical. I'd hate to have people miss the Perry experience because they stop in for one song and then leave.

It might not be totally different but different enough to NOT find Perry that entertaining or funny. As I said, there many (most likely millions, not just hundreds) of people who simply love a certain type of humor just as there are millions who hate it. There is no point in arguing this point since, just like beauty, this is all in the eye of the beholder and no one can tell someone else what they should find humorous.

By the way, I went to see his show and stayed for more than one song and heard a variety of his "humorous" comments which prompted laughter from some people. I also saw many in the audience leave promptly (those would be the ones who were NOT laughing :).

or better yet, trade him for Joel Mason!

If you have not even been onboard Constellation to experience Perry's show, how can you even make that evaluation. We have enjoyed Perry on several voyages, have even booked Constellation because the friends we have met in Michaels' keep on returning year after year including this November and in February for a Perry reunion cruise. We dropped in to the Westerdam's piano bar nearly two years ago and would never book a cruise because of the entertainment on board.

And the trade comment: are you involved with the Leaf's scouting team? Great judge of talent over the years. ;)

My husband and I have never had a better time on a cruise ship than we had with Perry Grant...we haven't laughed that much in years... we had never come across anyone like him...He is so unique and different and funny. He has an incredible gift for engaging his audience and immersing them and embracing them and bringing them into his wonderful world of absurdity and fun and laughter...positions everyone....positions....positions by the bar....positions 300 people by the door...it's a DOOR!!!! I laughed so hard on that cruise, I actually lost weight. Of course, we also bolted from our first seating dinner and skipped dessert in order to be able to see his first show and then hung around for over an hour to secure our seats until the second show began. We have booked another cruise next year on the Connie, just because of Perry Grant. I certainly do hope he will be back on board after the Christmas holidays.

If you have not even been onboard Constellation to experience Perry's show, how can you even make that evaluation. We have enjoyed Perry on several voyages, have even booked Constellation because the friends we have met in Michaels' keep on returning year after year including this November and in February for a Perry reunion cruise. We dropped in to the Westerdam's piano bar nearly two years ago and would never book a cruise because of the entertainment on board.

And the trade comment: are you involved with the Leaf's scouting team? Great judge of talent over the years. ;)

Saw many of the different shows on youtube from various cruises. Joel Mason plays in the the main theatre, not the piano bar. I peeked into the piano bar on Westerdam as well but didn't stay.

I guess at the end of the day, hard to compare, it's not exactly apples to apples just because they both play the piano. Their shows are taylored to different venues and sizes.

Either way I don't cruise nearly enough to book a cruise for a specific entertainer onboard.

I have seen Joel Mason on a HAL cruise a few years ago and enjoyed his performance enough to have purchased hid DVD "Lost at Sea A Tribute to Elton John" He was very entertaining. One theme, Elton John and he does it very well. Very clever.

Stage show only, not a lounge performer as I recall.

HOWEVER, there is no way to compare him to Perry Grant. As I have said before, Perry is the WHOLE package, versatile, funny beyond funny, so talented in the way he engages the whole room and does this twice a night, every night. Not to take anything away from Joel Mason. I liked him very much. BUT Perry Grant is in another ball game altogether. And so I return return, return to the Connie.

The first time we saw a Perry Grant show I thought he was very funny. Then when we saw him again on another cruise six months later he told the exact same jokes and even gave the exact same trivia quiz. That time we didn't think he was nearly as entertaining and have no interest in seeing his show again. There are certain comedy routines I can see over and over again, enjoying them every time, but I personally think that Perry Grant's humor loses its appeal very quickly. However, I am not a big drinker and he might be funnier to people who have had a lot to drink.

My wife and I enjoyed Perry Grant's lounge show so much that we booked another cruise on the Constellation this coming March just to see Perry perform. I can see where some folks might be turned off by the bawdy nature of his humor. We, however, love it. (And thanks to Perry, we now have some Judy Garland songs in our music collection).

Archived