Vera Bradley Large Duffel Bag for Carry On

nanak915

Has anyone used a Vera Bradley large duffel bag for a carry on and if you did, will it fit under the seat in front of me? I want to be able to take things out during the flight without getting into the overhead bin. The size is 22x11x11 and is a quilted soft bag.

The size is 22x11x11 ...
If you fill that, it won't fit under the seat in front of you. There are two reasons.

First, although I don't have any definitive measurements for the size of underseat stowage areas, but one airline's measurements for the maximum size of a bag which must fit under the seat is 18 in x 14 in x 8 in.

Also, most economy class seats are in the region of 17 to 18 in wide (at seat level). That's the biggest dimension of the underseat stowage, so a 22 in bag is simply too big.

I have one that a good friend on CC gave me. Mine happened to be filled with booze at the time. ;) I've since used it for a carry-on and it will certainly fit under there. Even though it sounds fairly large, it's soft and flexible so if you squished it, it would work. Now I'm not really sure I'd want to put it on the floor but that's another question.

I doubt it will fit. Usually the window seat in economy has the most room, the middle seat is close to the dimensions in the earlier post, and the aisle seat has quite a bit less space. If the aircraft you're on has audio or video entertainment, the electronics box is mounted to a seat leg and takes away some space.

Why not put essential items in a small bag that you pack in the big bag. When you get to your seat, take out the small bag and put the big one in the overhead.

We do exactly what Kenish suggested. We have a smaller bag with the essentials in it (book, earphones, socks, etc.) and take it out and put it under the seat in front of us. Larger bag goes in the overhead. Works great and we have everything we need right at our feet. Never have to bother anyone rummaging in the overhead looking for something we forgot.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a small backpack that I got at Old Navy that folds flat. I will just throw that in and after I go through security I can take out the things I want to have handy like book, earphones, neck pillow, etc and put them in the small bag for under the seat.

its to big for Delta as a carry-on which is suppose to be no bigger than

22"x14"x9" and always the chance it could be gate checked so they would just throw it in there with all the other luggage...

if you could take tho and dont want it on the 'dirty floor' put it in a plastic bag...i never let my personal carry-on which goes under the seat in front touch the floor its always in a bag...last time i was so glad cos someone spilled in the seats in front of me and if i hadnt of had the plastic it would have been wet...so i always have a plastic bag for the bag that goes under the seat in front.

I have one that a good friend on CC gave me. Mine happened to be filled with booze at the time. ;) I've since used it for a carry-on and it will certainly fit under there. Even though it sounds fairly large, it's soft and flexible so if you squished it, it would work. Now I'm not really sure I'd want to put it on the floor but that's another question.

What makes you think that the overhead bin is any cleaner than the floor? Think about it...people sit in the airport with their carry-ons next to them on the floor and then get on the airplane and put it in the overhead bin.

What makes you think that the overhead bin is any cleaner than the floor? Think about it...people sit in the airport with their carry-ons next to them on the floor and then get on the airplane and put it in the overhead bin.

While CSI would probably find some transference in the bins, it would nothing compared to the gunk in the carpet: years of accumulated food and beverage spills, debris from shoes, residue from diaper changes, baby burps and air-sick passengers, and who knows what else.

Remember that luggage, be it checked or carry-on, is there for, and designed for, the process of carrying the contents. If you want a pristine, brand-new looking set of luggage - leave it at home.

My carryons are there for the utility function of getting my "stuff" from point A to point B in reasonable security and with reasonable ease of transport. Things get dirty, things break, things change with use.

If you feel your luggage needs to be in a plastic bag before you'll place it on the ground, perhaps you shouldn't be taking that specific luggage. Or you should get something a bit more usable. Or maybe not even take something aboard those "dirty" airplanes.

Do you put down a plastic drop-cloth before you sit in your seat?

While CSI would probably find some transference in the bins, it would nothing compared to the gunk in the carpet: years of accumulated food and beverage spills, debris from shoes, residue from diaper changes, baby burps and air-sick passengers, and who knows what else.

Yes, but if you look around at people waiting to board the plane they are sitting there at the gate with their carryons on the floor in the same debris.

If you feel your luggage needs to be in a plastic bag before you'll place it on the ground, perhaps you shouldn't be taking that specific luggage. Or you should get something a bit more usable. Or maybe not even take something aboard those "dirty" airplanes.

Do you put down a plastic drop-cloth before you sit in your seat?

has nothing to do with specific luggage it has to do with stuff that is on the floor...its my personal bag and therefore goes up on my lap and i just dont want it on my lap after its been on the floor...i do the same with my purses they dont go on the floor

and NOPE dont put down a plastic cloth before sitting...

its just a purse thing-personal carry on thing that i have always done

like i said last time if i hadnt of my bag would have been soaked, as long as it doesnt affect anyone else i will keep doing it.

• 1 month later...
No -- but I know people who wipe down plane armrests with sanitary wipes before sitting down. I'm not there -- yet. ;)

I'm almost there. I use disinfectant wipes on our tray tables and the lever you move to unlock/lock them. I also clean the touch screens on overseas flights.

Archived