Sept 16 sailing from Quebec City

Kool Cruiser

quebec city is apparently amazing,lots of great sites we are on this cruise also and are doing H/A 3 hour walking and carriage ride with time to explore after, than walking back to ship downhill.they have what they call UPPER and LOWER town,lots beautiful buildings i read its like Europe without the jet lag!!!! i'm Canadian BUT have'nt been to Quebec city before,lots of history that i've forgotten LOL see you on board.

Montmorency Falls are located just outside the city---about 10 minutes.

The cathedral at Ste Anne de Beaupre is also worth seeing---about 20 minutes from the city in the same direction as the falls.

Quebec City is sort of two cities, a modern city and the old city. The old city, which I believe they call Vieux Port (old port), is charming. I have heard it described as the most "European" city in North America. It's a great place to walk.

I don't know where you'll be docked, but probably near the old town. Most of the city is up on a hill, but it can be reached from the lower part of town by a funnicular. It's fun to ride up. Wander around the narrow streets, look for the street that has all the artists selling their works. Lots of nice shops.

There's a lovely old church you can visit. I don't remember the name, but I can picture the square it's in. I want to say it's Notre Dame, but I'm not sure. I just remember going in and lighting a candle.

Walk through the Chateau Frontenac, a luxurious hotel. I don't recommend paying a fortune for the Frontenac's afternoon tea. We were in Quebec City on a QE2 cruise stop, and people on our cruise said the tea was overpriced. They thought afternoon tea on the ship was much better (and included in our fare).

If you're feeling more ambitious, see the Plains of Abraham, a battlefield from the French and Indian war (I think that's the war).

I recall finding a good microbrewery in the old town, but that was 6-7 years ago, and those places come and go. And there was a a Christmas shop full of beautiful ornaments.

If they make beaver tails in the summer, try one. It's fried bread dough--much better than that sounds. I like it with cinnamon and sugar, but lots of people like it with nutella. It's a street vendor thing.

It is "French Canada," but everyone speaks English. I tried to "go local" and say "bonjour" when I walked into a store. Don't try it unless your're fluent. They assume you speak French and talk a mile a minute! My high-school French was too long ago for me to keep up.

It's a lovely city. Enjoy!

Already some great replies, so I don't really have much to add, but to echo how beautiful this city is. The ship docks literally right there, I can't wait to do this cruise again! We had a nice dinner onboard the Eurodam at the Canaletto, while overlooking the lights of Old Quebec City, doesn't get much better!!

Quebec City is sort of two cities, a modern city and the old city. The old city, which I believe they call Vieux Port (old port), is charming. I have heard it described as the most "European" city in North America. It's a great place to walk.

I was born and raised in Quebec City. :D

The old city is called 'Vieux Quebec' and the area near the dock (on the right of the ship) is Pointe à Quercy (this is the 'vieux port'). Also on the right, if you walk 10 minutes, you come to the 'marché champlain' where you can see a lot of local products and specialties (including blueberry wine, maple syrup, oreilles de crisse, etc). Not to mention the lovely flowers that you can purchase for your stateroom.

Just in front of the ship docking area, across the street is the 'Musée des civilisations' that is presenting a cultural, folkloric and historical showcase.

There's a lovely old church you can visit. I don't remember the name, but I can picture the square it's in. I want to say it's Notre Dame, but I'm not sure. I just remember going in and lighting a candle.

Then, by walking 5 minutes on the left, you come to Place royale (in the Petit Champlain area). This is where you will find the oldest church in North America, Notre Dame des victoires' plus a monument, bust of Louis X1V. The whole area is boutiques, cafés, bistrots and restored buildings of the 17th century.

I don't know where you'll be docked, but probably near the old town.

The ships all dock at the cruise terminal, 10 minutes walk from 'Petit Champlain' and the funicular leading to Chateau Frontenac 'and Terrasse Dufferin' in the upper part. Just in front of Musee des civilisations.

Most of the city is up on a hill, but it can be reached from the lower part of town by a funnicular. It's fun to ride up. Wander around the narrow streets, look for the street that has all the artists selling their works. Lots of nice shops.

The city is equally divided between upper and lower town. There are things to see both places. The upper town offer wonderful vistas of the St Laurence river. The lower part has the restored old buildings, the market, the old port, the museum.

The street where the artists sell their works is 'rue du Trésor'. If you leave the Chateau and the terrace Dufferin, you go around the square (called 'Place d'armes' and you find 'rue du Trésor' on the right, next to the main Tourism Bureau and not far from 'Musée du fort (presenting a reconstitution of the battle on the plains of Abraham between French and English). if you go to the end of 'rue du Trésor' you arrive at the Cathedral and rue St-Jean. Across from the cathedral, on the other side of the square is where you will find 'les calèches' the horse carriages. Last time I was there, the cost was $85 per carriage for 40 minutes.

Walk through the Chateau Frontenac, a luxurious hotel. I don't recommend paying a fortune for the Frontenac's afternoon tea. We were in Quebec City on a QE2 cruise stop, and people on our cruise said the tea was overpriced. They thought afternoon tea on the ship was much better (and included in our fare).

If you're feeling more ambitious, see the Plains of Abraham, a battlefield from the French and Indian war (I think that's the war).

For us Quebeckers, the plains of Abraham is the site of the battle between Montcam (French) and Wolfe (English) where New France was lost to the English. Along the river, there is a wooden walkway and steps up and down about one mile and one half long, leaving from Chateau Frontenac (and terrasse Dufferin)' that will bring you to the Citadel, the Parliament buildings and the plains of Abraham.

I recall finding a good microbrewery in the old town, but that was 6-7 years ago, and those places come and go. And there was a a Christmas shop full of beautiful ornaments.

Not sure if you are talking about a 'brasserie' which is a bar, I have never heard of a microbrewery in Quebec city. There are many brasseries however...it is a large café bar where you can drink beer.

If they make beaver tails in the summer, try one. It's fried bread dough--much better than that sounds. I like it with cinnamon and sugar, but lots of people like it with nutella. It's a street vendor thing.

It is "French Canada," but everyone speaks English.

I know a lot of people in Quebec city (more than 90% of the population) who do not speak any English at all. It is true to say that in old Quebec hotels, tourist restaurant and museums, they will have some bilingual staff. But NOT everybody speaks English. My parents, my sister and my brother who live there do not. Quebec city and Lac St Jean areas in Quebec are 90-95% french speaking. It is French Canada. The culture, the language, the tastes of the people are definitely French. I do not know where you went and who you met on your short visit, but certainly and it is a fact that not everyone speaks English.

I tried to "go local" and say "bonjour" when I walked into a store. Don't try it unless your're fluent. They assume you speak French and talk a mile a minute! My high-school French was too long ago for me to keep up.

It's a lovely city. Enjoy!

<snip>

I know a lot of people in Quebec city (more than 90% of the population) who do not speak any English at all. It is true to say that in old Quebec hotels, tourist restaurant and museums, they will have some bilingual staff. But NOT everybody speaks English. My parents, my sister and my brother who live there do not. Quebec city and Lac St Jean areas in Quebec are 90-95% french speaking. It is French Canada. The culture, the language, the tastes of the people are definitely French. I do not know where you went and who you met on your short visit, but certainly and it is a fact that not everyone speaks English.

<snip>

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend the French-speaking citizens of Quebec. I should have been more specific. I meant that the people the OP would be dealing with in shops and museums would speak English, so the OP needn't worry about any language difficulties.

Wow great Post, I am also from here.

The Micro Brewery is called the L'Inox on Rue Quai Saint Andre

right beside the Petro Canada station on the corner.

its about a 3 min walk from the ship.

They have all sorts of Beers stouts lagers ales dark & light

pretty tasty too.

Yes Quebec city is also wonderful just walking about and discovering on your own , at your own pace.

In the areas they would be walking most can speak english quite well, but yes further away from there it is different.

Wow great Post, I am also from here.

The Micro Brewery is called the L'Inox on Rue Quai Saint Andre

right beside the Petro Canada station on the corner.

its about a 3 min walk from the ship.

They have all sorts of Beers stouts lagers ales dark & light

pretty tasty too.

Yes Quebec city is also wonderful just walking about and discovering on your own , at your own pace.

In the areas they would be walking most can speak english quite well, but yes further away from there it is different.

Yes! That sounds familiar. So glad it's still there. We're thinking about a Canada cruise for next fall, and I'll remember that.

I'm pleased at how much I remembered, even if I didn't know all the names. We've been to Quebec City twice. The first time was during Carnival and the second time in the summer on a cruise stop. The city is so different in the two seasons, it's like we went to two different cities! I remembered the Christmas shop because I bought a Bonhomme ornament there. (I still have my Bonhomme "caribou" cane, too.)

Thats true it is a drastic change from summer to winter.

We just enjoy it all but by winters end we have had enough of the cold.

although last winter was not too frigid, made for nice days of skiing.

We like to get away though for at least one week sometimes more for a all inclusive resort or cruise for some R&R.

Yeah I of course have a Carnival cane that does come out during the festivities some years just for the fun of it. traditional thing.

We really enjoyed Quebec City last September. We loved strolling in the old city, and had lunch at the Cafe Du Monde restaurant on the pier. There are many places to eat and shops to visit. We got up early the morning of embarkation to explore, and had the city to ourselves! ship Across from the pier is the Musee du Civilisation we didn't go in, but it would be worthwhile.

Enjoy your visit...it is a delightful, historic city.

Karen

Archived