Organizing a fundraiser for while onboard

Has anyone else every pulled together a fundraiser and executed it while onboard? Anyone know who to approach for something like this (with RC)?

RCI is currently doing an onboard fundraiser for the Make A Wish Foundation, so they have (somewhere within their corporate offices in Miami) a function that orchestrates this type of activity. Having said that , I doubt that they would do (or endorse) anything other than something on a national level for a recognized and qualified 501c3 organization. If you represent a qualified organization, I'd suggest calling their corporate offices and asking for "Corporate Affairs", or "Corporate Community Relations". Most corporations have a department with roughly that name that deals with the hundreds (if not thousands) of requests that come in on an annual basis for "fundraising" assistance.

BTW, better than 95% of requests (on average) are turned down. The ones that survive are generally the ones that hit a personal chord with whomever is running the Corporate Community Relations office on that particular day.

Has anyone else every pulled together a fundraiser and executed it while onboard? Anyone know who to approach for something like this (with RC)?

Ok, my curiosity has gotten the best of me.....what type of onboard fundraising are you thinking of and whom would it benefit?

I don't think I would appreciate being approached for monetary donations for a fundraiser while on board a cruise ship. The only exception would be what happened on one of my first cruises many years ago. Our waiter had to leave in the middle of the cruise. Sadly, his very young wife had died of cancer suddenly. Many of his guests quickly put together a nice bit of cash to help with his expenses.

I don't think I would appreciate being approached for monetary donations for a fundraiser while on board a cruise ship. The only exception would be what happened on one of my first cruises many years ago. Our waiter had to leave in the middle of the cruise. Sadly, his very young wife had died of cancer suddenly. Many of his guests quickly put together a nice bit of cash to help with his expenses.

I think what you say is spot on.

Would have to be something personal like this

Actually, I thought the make-A-Wish fundraiser on FOS was very well thought out. It was on the top deck on the last day of the cruise, you got a nice t-shirt, walked a mile around the jogging track, and the $10 donation went directly to Make-A-Wish. Nobody passing a bucket, no "solicitation". If you wanted to participate, you just lined up outside of the Sky Bar and walked. The line waiting to get t-shirts and participate when it started extended all the way back to the H2O zone, and was still that long after we finished our mile.

I walked for make a wish on my July sailing on Oasis and I was thrilled to see that Royal Caribbean had something like this. They didn't pester you to participate but it was in the compass and I believe there was an announcement made at a show the evening before. Other than that if you didn't want to participate you certainly didn't have to.

I remember a fundraiser happening on a previous cruise I was on - maybe it was make a wish, I cannot recall. Between seeing that in the past, and more recently the talks of what can we do to help Haiti etc. The holidays are also coming up - they are a time of giving to me. So, I just got thinking with regard to my upcoming cruise.

I have a couple direct sales businesses and if it was something they'd work with me on I'd be willing to donate sales profits to a non-profit. My first instinct was Save the Waves, given that it was a program they obviously support.

I agree, harassing people onboard isn't kosher. But they did a pretty good job promoting the donate $X and get a tee shirt (again, maybe it was make a wish at sea) on a previous cruise without it being intrusive.

-JC

As long as it was subtle and no pressure I would probably actually participate. As a teacher in a large high school, we are often made to feel guilty if we do not participate in every single fundraiser implemented by every organization. It just gets to be too much sometimes. When I am on vacation I need it to be a vacation from it all!

Archived