A Great "Feel Good" RCCL Story

Hi Everyone! We just returned from a wonderful trip on Oasis yesterday (will try to post a review later), however suffice it to say, it was a wonderful, wonderful cruise! Okay, I wanted to share a great “feel good” story with each of you. There were 10 of us, that boarded Oasis on 8/14. Well, two people in our group (who are Diamond Members), had a slight problem. The wife, grabbed her birth certificate (no, they don’t have passports), and instead of grabbing her husbands birth certificate, she inadvertently grabbed their marriage license. Well, they did not realize this until they were at the counter, checking in. Imagine everyone’s’ shock and dismay, when this was discovered. Well, I immediately thought the worst (that they were not going to make it on board) We were all quite frightened for them. Well, RCCL did all that they could to help, however at the end of the day, they needed the birth certificate or passport. Now, luckily we all left our hotel fairly early, and were at the port a little before 11am. Well, we waited with them for about an hour, then we were told that we could no longer wait and that we had to board. We got on board, and we waited, for hours to find out if they were going to get on. Well, some “Executives” from RCCL came up to my friends and took the husband into a back room. Well, the wife was still at the counter at this point. They told my friend that if they could have someone fax them a copy of the birth certificate, that they would allow him on. Well, they spent almost two hours getting their 19 year old daughter back home (three hour time difference) to answer the phone-she was asleep. They finally reached her and she was able to fax the birth certificate to the number given. They then had to wait for someone in the executive offices, to get the birth certificate-and approve their boarding (keep in mind, this is all while they are trying to get over 6,000 people on the ship). They treated this couple with the utmost care and respect (never speaking down to them, or making them feel awkward, for not having a passport), during this entire ordeal. Also, the fact that they were willing to accept a faxed version of his birth certificate, was surely a wonderful thing. I know that often we post about the “negatives” but I just wanted to let the Cruise Critic family know, that this was a case, in which they went above and beyond (as we all know, they were not obligated to let him on board at all). We were on board about noon, and they did not get on until after 2pm, but they made it on! Way to go RCCL! Oh, by the way, my friends have decided to get their Passports (smile)…:)

Glad RCCL was able to help out. I am hearing more and more positive experiences than ever now. Amazing what happens when supply exceeds demand! Out of curiosity...How were they able to make it through customs/immigration? I thought you are required to have a passport for re-entry to the U.S.

I too am glad for all concerned you got to take your cruise together!!!

On another note however, it does bother me a bit that RCL would allow someone on a ship without the proper documentation. Could they have been like those others on the airplanes during on 9/11.

Again I am EXTREMELY HAPPY for you and your friends that got to cruise together. It is also scarey.

Tim

Thanks everyone!

Flyinman-when we got off of the ship yesterday, they (my friends)went to a desk and they were there for about 4 or so minutes (the rest of us just had to show our passports and walk off). They had to show the photocopy and that was it. Very smooth indeed! At no point on the ship, did we have to go "present" ourselves to immigration along with our passports (except for when we left the ship yesterday).

Glad RCCL was able to help out. I am hearing more and more positive experiences than ever now. Amazing what happens when supply exceeds demand! Out of curiosity...How were they able to make it through customs/immigration? I thought you are required to have a passport for re-entry to the U.S.

If your cruise is closed loop (leaving and returning to the SAME US) port then you can still sail with a birth certificate and photo id if you are US citizens.

Today in this day and age of bad news, it is wonderful to hear that a group of people (RCCL employees) used sound judgement and reasoning skills that sometimes seem to be non existent ......the book of RULES and REGS many times seems to trump common sense!!!! Wow, I am impressed that the check in folks and their supervisors had the ability to size up the situation and go outside the box....I am sure this man had a legal drivers license, credit cards, oh and the marriage cert that tied him to his wife....common sense took over and they could see this was just a dumb mistake and something could be worked out!!!

Congratulations Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines!!

Ok now if they could just do something about the TSA folks (you know not all, but the ones that seem to be so indifferent and lack any humor at all)

Ok now if they could just do something about the TSA folks (you know not all, but the ones that seem to be so indifferent and lack any humor at all)

Are you referring to any airport in particular?

I have a real problem with the TSA in Orlando, they have no sense of humor, PERIOD!!! Genuine pains in the rear. Again, I understand they have a job to do but come on for pete's sake.

Tim

I have a real problem with the TSA in Orlando, they have no sense of humor, PERIOD!!! Genuine pains in the rear. Again, I understand they have a job to do but come on for pete's sake.

Tim

Well seems to be system wide....my last run in was a real grump!! Ya know I am thinking this particular TSA employee was in Miami ( but not sure but oh my was he memorable!!) I remember it was 9ish in the morning and we are leaving on a big trip....I just remember greeting this person and being in such a good mood....it was like hello hello no expression and well a polite thing to say is that he was very grumpy! I think a smile would have hurt his face and it was only 9 in the morning.....I like to think that this guy is an exception and not the rule!?!?

Is being indifferent, sullen and sometimes just plain mean and rude a part of the culture at TSA....my tax dollars hard at work again.....I am really hoping I have just had some bad luck and most are just good people doing a really icky job....so that is what I am sticking with!

Thanks. Again glad you all had an good experience. We have a cruise booked in March after not taking one for 2 years. Unfortunately, my last 3 cruises on RCCL have been less than desirable. I am excited about our cruise in March though as I have been hearing and reading about positive experiences and also having good experiences with the folks at RCCL. Like I said, I think their attitude has changed a little.

I bet they sighed a huge sigh of a relief upon boarding. I know how stressful that can be. DH lost his passport the day before our wedding and we had been planning on flying to Mexico (this was right after the changed the rules. We ended up coming to Florida instead haha - this was before we moved here.

Wouldn't mind betting the same mistake will never ever ever ever be made again:D

I bet it won't either :)

What a good story.

We had a real nice TSA agent on our last trip when my daughter had to be searched because of a metal ring on her bra. The woman could not have been nicer!

Every time I fly I get patted down...since I have 2 artificial knees...I ring ALL the bells and whistles.....my problem is that the person guarding the entry way ALWAYS tells me to take off my jewelry...and I always tell them it's my knees....I get a funny look since I was only in my 40's when I had them done...so they never really believe me...till the wand me and I start beeping...I always thank them for my personal massage...that always gets them to smile!! :)

Thanks for sharing your story. I just was reading a thread last week about a group that booked with RCCL, ran into a medical issue and had to cancel. RCCL was able to duplicate their reservations to a later cruise with no penalties or anyhting and the group was ever so thankful. Good job RCCL for treating people who work or have worked hard for there money to cruise and are being treated with respect. When I price cruises to go on I usually come back to RCCL because I remember how we were treated on our last cruise- like 'royalty'.:)

Especially since I had earlier today read "ticked off" who will never cruise RCCL again because they booked less than 30 days before the cruise, were unable to get late seating and had to resort to MTD in spite of all the expensive bottles of champagne and wine they purchase. I'm glad to hear there is appreciation for going the extra mile with their passengers. I have to say, it's nice to know they know how to treat someone who is genuinely in need of a break!!!

That is a real good "feel good story"!! Thanks for sharing.

Here is another, but no so recent. On our 2007 Holiday cruise, somehow DD left 2 valuable rings in the safe. She checked it, so did DS and so did DH, but there is a lip around the bottom edge and they got tucked in it. The steward found them, turned them in and RCI called us 3 weeks after the cruise. Neither one of us knew they were lost, as DD thought I had them and I of course thought she did. I can remember the phone call like it was yesterday. Not having a clue they were missing, when RCI Called and asked if any jewlery was missing and to describe it, we first had to decipher which cabin the jewelry was found in, then had to think what could be missing, then describe it ...

Kudos RCI

We had a similar experience 4 years ago when trying to board the Navigator in Miami. The friends we were travelling with somehow packed their passports in their luggage and didn't realise until we tried to check in. By which time their cases were already on board!

Anyways, RCCL were brilliant. My friend was in tears 'cos she thought there would be no way that the cases would be located before the ship sailed and that they were going to miss out on their first cruise. She was given a coffee and reasssured that everything possible was being done to find the luggage.

Well finally about 15 minutes before check in closed, a crew member comes along pulling their cases. Our friends were soooo happy!

Needless to say, they now always make sure they carry their passports on them! ;)

WELL DONE RCCL

Hi Everyone! We just returned from a wonderful trip on Oasis yesterday (will try to post a review later), however suffice it to say, it was a wonderful, wonderful cruise! Okay, I wanted to share a great “feel good” story with each of you. There were 10 of us, that boarded Oasis on 8/14. Well, two people in our group (who are Diamond Members), had a slight problem. The wife, grabbed her birth certificate (no, they don’t have passports), and instead of grabbing her husbands birth certificate, she inadvertently grabbed their marriage license. Well, they did not realize this until they were at the counter, checking in. Imagine everyone’s’ shock and dismay, when this was discovered. Well, I immediately thought the worst (that they were not going to make it on board) We were all quite frightened for them. Well, RCCL did all that they could to help, however at the end of the day, they needed the birth certificate or passport. Now, luckily we all left our hotel fairly early, and were at the port a little before 11am. Well, we waited with them for about an hour, then we were told that we could no longer wait and that we had to board. We got on board, and we waited, for hours to find out if they were going to get on. Well, some “Executives” from RCCL came up to my friends and took the husband into a back room. Well, the wife was still at the counter at this point. They told my friend that if they could have someone fax them a copy of the birth certificate, that they would allow him on. Well, they spent almost two hours getting their 19 year old daughter back home (three hour time difference) to answer the phone-she was asleep. They finally reached her and she was able to fax the birth certificate to the number given. They then had to wait for someone in the executive offices, to get the birth certificate-and approve their boarding (keep in mind, this is all while they are trying to get over 6,000 people on the ship). They treated this couple with the utmost care and respect (never speaking down to them, or making them feel awkward, for not having a passport), during this entire ordeal. Also, the fact that they were willing to accept a faxed version of his birth certificate, was surely a wonderful thing. I know that often we post about the “negatives” but I just wanted to let the Cruise Critic family know, that this was a case, in which they went above and beyond (as we all know, they were not obligated to let him on board at all). We were on board about noon, and they did not get on until after 2pm, but they made it on! Way to go RCCL! Oh, by the way, my friends have decided to get their Passports (smile)…:)

I'm happy for you and your friend, but it does bother me a little to think that someone could get on a ship without the proper documentation.

Tim

Oh do I agree with your there!!!

I always carry my jewelry in my purse...got held up in Orlando...they decided that one of my bracelets was a switchblade.:eek: I kept trying to tell them that what they were seeing was a bracelet...they hemmed and hawed and after about 15 minutes decided to take my jewlery box out of my purse and open it up.:eek:

I have nothing against being cautious but why would it take those morons a full 15 minutes to decide to open the darn box and see what was in there?:mad:

Now when I travel and take that bracelet I always wear it.

Archived