How much notice for itinerary change???

Mark

Question for you veteran Carnival Cruisers...

Let's say I am sailing on a Carnival ship out of NYC in September headed for the Caribbean and the Bahamas and there is a hurricane down there...for safety reasons, Carnival decides to change course and send the ship to Canada. I would enjoy going to Canada as much as going to the Bahamas but would have to pack diffrently for cooler temps...

How much advance notice will Carnival give you if they are going to reroute the ship and how would Carnival get in touch with you?

we were notified the evening before the cruise. My kids were getting married on that cruise and they called us all and told us they were going out early (I wondered what would happen to those that flew in that day) and that our ports had gone from western to eastern carribean. We were called on our cell phone. They did not change the time even tho we had to be there at 7:00 a.m. Another time our port had changed they gave us a note as we got off the bus from the airport. In their disclosures it says they can change your ports. I can't remember what the cancellation policy is as I think any day on a cruise is fine with me!

The one and only time our itinerary was changed due to a hurricane, we had less than 24 hours notice. Since we were changed from an eastern to a western caribbean itinerary, it didn't matter, but when I found out, I had already left home and had driven to the city that I was going to fly out of early the next day, which is about 2 hours away from home. But in the case of your specific question, you would be going north instead of south. :eek:

If I suspected something like that might happen, I would call Carnival before I left home to see what the chances of something like that happening and what alternative ports would be on the list if a hurricane did interfere with my cruise itinerary. I would think they would go to Bermuda before Canada if they could work it out and Bermuda was not in the path of the hurricane. Otherwise, I'd just throw in a few warmer things in the suitcase and wash if I had to.

BTW, I did cruise to Canada/New England in late September a few years back and there was only one day that I needed to dress a little warm. It was a cool and rainy day for our port call in Sydney, Nova Scotia. I don't think Carnival even goes there any more. We also went to Portland, Boston, and Halifax and had no problems with cool weather. In fact, it was quite warm as I recall and shorts and T-shirts were still the order of the day. The cruise was hailed as the Canadian Fall Foliage Cruise. The leaves had not even began to turn! So much for the seeing the fall foliage of New England/Canada! :(

Stay on top of the weather and Carnival's website for announcements. Call them if you have questions.

If there was a hurricane, its doubtfull it would go to Canada instead, you more than likely would just miss some ports.

uh, Last year a cruise went to canada instead of the Bahamas- Boy a lot of people were pi$$ed so it does happen.

You might not hear about port changes until you are onboard either.

If there is a hurricane out and about-- and you are leaving that weekend-- watch the carnival main home page - it will list any changes

Let's say I am sailing on a Carnival ship out of NYC in September headed for the Caribbean and the Bahamas and there is a hurricane down there...for safety reasons, Carnival decides to change course and send the ship to Canada. I would enjoy going to Canada as much as going to the Bahamas but would have to pack diffrently for cooler temps...

How much advance notice will Carnival give you if they are going to reroute the ship and how would Carnival get in touch with you?

Really, none...

If you look at the contract that you entered into with Carnival for your voyage you'll find this regarding ports:

The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_84

:)

uh, Last year a cruise went to canada instead of the Bahamas- Boy a lot of people were pi$$ed so it does happen.

You might not hear about port changes until you are onboard either.

If there is a hurricane out and about-- and you are leaving that weekend-- watch the carnival main home page - it will list any changes

This was a one time deal where they were able to plan it ahead?? I still say its very unusual ...but changes do happen. (having been on Conquest during Ike)

Cruise Cancellation and Itinerary Change Policy CRUISE CANCELLATION

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit.

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms. ITINERARY CHANGE AFTER DEPARTURE

In the event an itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival and/or the Master will attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival and/or the Master may, in their discretion and for any purpose, deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and omit or change any or all ports of calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any refund or other damages in such circumstances.

REFUND OF GOVERNMENT FEES AND TAXES:

If a port is cancelled from the scheduled itinerary, a refund of the government fees and taxes for the cancelled port will be provided via a shipboard credit.

THIRD PARTY COSTS RESULTING FROM CRUISE CANCELLATIONS OR ITINERARY CHANGES:

Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties by guests (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled cruise or an itinerary change for any reason.

VACATION GUARANTEE:

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

You are in the hands of the Master or Captain when you are on the cruise and they do whatever to make sure the ship is safe. The whineing and bitching line starts to the left of the purser desk. For us we know what can happen on a cruise that can change things real quick, thats life of a cruiser. Some people can't quite handle it and you many get entertainment. If you have ever been in real rough seas or been on a ship that tried to get into a port when seas are rough you won't forget it.

On my cruise in 2005, we were notified at 7pm Friday night for our Saturday departture. Or should i say i called them.....

Well the only reason I asked...or I should say my main concern is that people pack differently for a week in Canada than they do for a week in the Caribbean...especially starting in September...if I recall...one of the news stories of upset passengers related to them all having nothing to wear except clothes suited for the Caribbean...as I said initially...I like sailing to both Canada and the Caribbean...but I would pack differently...as for whining...as long as the sun is out and it is not cold, I don't care which direction the captain chooses to steer the ship...

The change to a Canada/N.E. itinerary usually happens to NYC , Philly, Baltimore and Boston sailings that would be heading south. Bermuda is not usually an option as their schedules are firmed up far in advance and there is limited docking space.

Well the only reason I asked...or I should say my main concern is that people pack differently for a week in Canada than they do for a week in the Caribbean...especially starting in September...if I recall...one of the news stories of upset passengers related to them all having nothing to wear except clothes suited for the Caribbean...as I said initially...I like sailing to both Canada and the Caribbean...but I would pack differently...as for whining...as long as the sun is out and it is not cold, I don't care which direction the captain chooses to steer the ship...

I definitely understand your reasoning for the question, but you can get itinerary changes the day of the change! The captain does what he thinks is best for the safety of the passengers.

Having said that, I will say that I always layer clothing anyway, for all sorts of temperature variations..... not so much for the itinerary, but because they keep the public rooms like meat lockers!!

I wish I had a nickel for every time I have worn velvet slacks and a sweater on a caribbean cruise..... :D

We found out about our schedule change in 2008 standing in line to check in at Port Everglades. A Carnival representative just handed out letters to all passengers as we waited.

As much as possible, but you might not find out until after you have sailed.

Archived