Travel Agent versus Carnival PVP/Web

CRUISE0825

If the travel agent, Carnival website & Carnival PVP all give the same cruise price, is there a benefit to using a travel agent? I've never used a travel agent before so I have no clue. I've been told I have to look out for hidden fees with travel agents so is there really a point to using one?

TA may give you an additional OBC, wine , or a Group Rate, that you won't receive from booking direct .

Good to have a TA on your side , should you encounter problems dealing with the cruise line .

After qualifing you ,a good TA may also alert you to another cruise that meets your expectations/price , more than just Carnival.(note: Nothing wrong with Carnival .):)

If the travel agent, Carnival website & Carnival PVP all give the same cruise price, is there a benefit to using a travel agent? I've never used a travel agent before so I have no clue. I've been told I have to look out for hidden fees with travel agents so is there really a point to using one?

I love my PVP, who has booked every single one of my Carnival cruises since 2005. She's professional, knowledgeable (you can ask her ANYTHING about Carnival. She knows the answer), provides the BEST customer service, and always gets back to me promptly.

I HIGHLY recommend that you talk to different people though, regardless of their "title". Some PVP's are great, some are not. Same goes for TA's

As a side note, I booked my upcoming Princess cruise using a TA, and we chose her because she offered us the lowest price. However, we're paying for it in other ways. She doesn't return calls or emails (I've been trying to get in touch with her since Thursday!) If I try to call the TA she works for and get someone else, they refuse to help me. So far, it hasn't been a pleasing experience. Our PVP has spoiled us...

We usually book Carnival cruises with the same PVP. He was always helpful and answered questions quickly.

We booked our next Carnival cruise with a TA at a travel show. While we did get a good price, I hate the feeling of having no control over our cruise. It takes days for him to return my calls or e-mails. I do not feel like he is looking out for us because he is now only working very part time as a TA and concentrating on a different job.

My wife and I have booked both ways. I prefer the PVP because I can then have access online to my booking, make payments online, etc. You can't do that when booking with a TA. It's all personal preference, though, and I still will book either way, depending on price and if friends traveling with us use one or the other.

I have a TA whom I trust....she has booked us since we started cruising....

The advantage? The TA works for me....a PVP works for Carnival....

Once...13 of us took our parents on an anniversary cruise....

My sister, brother and myself (and families) were all past cruisers....so we were upgraded to a higher deck....My parents never sailed Carnival...so the TA paid out of her pocket to upgrade my parents...so they would be on the same deck as us all.....

Just make sure you can trust your TA....I didn't do it online....I got a recommdation from a friend.....

TAs provide many services to their clients. They can direct you to a vacation that best fits your needs, they can monitor price drops, watch for payment deadlines, and act as a go between if needed. Are they worth it? Only you can decide, but hidden fees are not a reason to avoid them. They will gladly disclose all fees before you book with them, just ask. Most fess are imposed only if you make them do extra work that reduces their commission.

BTW PVPs are not TAs they are Carnival employees and their job is solely to sell Carnival cruises. Never confuse them with a TA.

Our first 10 cruises were with a TA. Of that 8 the TA was great and than the next two she left and the replacement was less than useless when we had a problem.

Went to an online TA that was ok but for each cruie dealt with someone else.

Found a pvp and find that works best for us. Not always the best net costs but overall best for us.

I have previously booked all of my cruises through TA's, because until last month it was possible to get big discounts for doing so. Now, unless the perks are really nice, we'll probably go straight to carnival.com.

I suspect TAs who actually "monitor for price drops" are rare. For anyone booking Early Saver and monitoring Carnival's site for their own price drops, you may OR may not be able to get your TA to act on it as quickly as you'd like. That's one of the few complaints I've seen on CC about TAs.

I book with a PVP because that's what I did the first time around. I did so based on a referral from someone else who cruises frequently. I was later transferred to another PVP and couldn't be happier.

I have previously booked all of my cruises through TA's, because until last month it was possible to get big discounts for doing so. Now, unless the perks are really nice, we'll probably go straight to carnival.com.

Me too...I shop around for the best prices/perks on every vacation I book. Since I do all of the pre-planning myself, I don't rely on the TA to do much more than submit the ES price drop forms when I catch a drop. So far I have not had any issues with my (on-line) TA's doing exactly what I asked. All future bookings will depend on the perks/OBC a TA can get me over going directly to Carnival.Com. I have no need for a PVP since I can book through Carnival on my own without having to deal with anyone.

For a number of years I used a TA. He became a friend also. With booking on the internet and 9/11 he finally decided on another career path. Since then I use a PVP. He does return my calls promptly and calls me about special rates (senior) and cruises I would be interested in. Even when he is not on duty he sometimes has his calls rolled over to his home.

i did try to book one cruise with a TA after mine left the business-that was a nightmare I don't want to repeat again.

A couple of times I have booked at Carnival's website when I had a "got to do it now moment" late at night and never had a problem doing it that way. I like the fact that if I do want to change something and I can't get ahold of my PVP I can call the 1-800 # and get it taken care of.

While I generally book directly myself, there can be some benefits of using a travel agent, which others have pointed out. However, if you book through a TA, you give up the ability to deal directly with the cruise line. Everything has to go through the TA. That extra step also creates "noise" in the communication line. You have to explain to the TA what you want, then the TA goes to the cruise line and finds a close match, then explains it back to you. That process can go back and forth and much can be lost in the translation.

I'd just rather book it directly myself.

I have to say that I have had better luck with my PVP than the TA I used to book my Alaskan cruise. She screwed me over and expected me to get the money she over charged me and under charged my friend - for me to get it from my friend - which I felt terrible doing. I know that Axxy my PVP is good about getting his supervisor to make changes and waive fees. When he calls, my son gets very excited because it's the cruise guy.

No, we don't get any free stuff - but the travel agent didn't get us anything either. We used her on another friend's (who was supposed to go) recommendation and she bragged about all she did for them.

I like to use the PVP....if there's "an issue" it's just so much more convenient.

Probably (not just for cruises) the TA only makes sense for someone who is not computer saavy...or wants someone to "plan" everything.

I have a friend who is a "high end TA". She books "the regular stuff" as well as restaurant reservations, car service pick-ups etc. Her clientele pay for this service. They don't go to her "for a $50 obc"....but for not having to do the work/research themselves.

I can buy my own wine (and get the kind I want) and the little bit of savings or OBC to me is just not worth the hassle of having to go thru a middleman.

The "little bit of savings" can easily amount to hundreds of dollars. It's fine if the convenience is still worth it to you, but let's not understate the cost.

Archived