Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

:confused: Not sure about this. I'm computer stupid. I want to find out about the Princess Cherry Blossom Cruise NEXT year september 2011 sailing from Brisbane. We have booked. It is VERY early I know. Will some kind person point me in the correct direction to find other keen cruisers. Stuff like which page am I really suppost to be on. Sis:o

find your roll call or else start one and welcome

:eek::eek::eek: Wire!!!! you are Joan Crawford's nightmare!!!;)

I usually don't hang my clothes on wire. I live in a humid area and after getting rust stains on the neckline of some shirts, have learned to only use plastic. I'm sure in other areas, it's not a problem.

When DH lived in Malta this happened to me, too. I recently went into my fav clothes store and asked them to keep the 'cheap' plastic hangers for me ( when the stock comes in the clothes are on the cheap hangers and they throw them away ). They are light and at the end of the cruise I will simply throw them away.

:confused: Not sure about this. I'm computer stupid. I want to find out about the Princess Cherry Blossom Cruise NEXT year september 2011 sailing from Brisbane. We have booked. It is VERY early I know. Will some kind person point me in the correct direction to find other keen cruisers. Stuff like which page am I really suppost to be on. Sis:o

Welcome to cruise critic

Step 1 Go to the Princess Roll Call list at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Step 2 On that list, select the ship you will be sailing on

Step 3 Then look through the list of the various sailing and see if your cruise is listed. If it is, click on it to join the others who are on the voyage with you. If you do not find one for your sailing, you can start one by then clicking on "New Thread".

Somewhere in my cruising research, I heard about Princess' famous Fettuccine Alfredo, but served in a crispy parmesan cheese bowl. Is this still available and if so, where?

While we're on the subject of food, my husband loves creme brulee, but he usually likes the standard vanilla flavored (vs. something unique like mango or rasberry). I didn't see it in the standard menus - is it available; or can I request it in advance?

Also, can anyone tell me what hours Sanctuary is open? If we don't get a cruise-long pass, what time do we need to line up to get a day pass? Can you get an all-day pass or just 1/2day pass?

Thanks so much!

Instead of asking for more hangers, I always bring a few extra wire hangers from home from the cleaners. At end of cruise, if I don't have room in the suitcase, I just leave them behind. (One less thing to ask for since I'm already asking for egg crate, top sheet, robe, slippers, deluxe pillows, and who knows what else!)

I thought everyone got a top sheet and robe. CAn you get slippers without being in a suite? and what are deluxe pillows?

No top sheet because of the duvets, we merely request one when we first meet our steward and it is put on at turn down. I like a sheet between me and the duvet, as well as being able to sleep with just the sheet if the cabin is warm or I get warm.

You should be able to get the slippers by asking your steward as well.

I thought everyone got a top sheet and robe. CAn you get slippers without being in a suite? and what are deluxe pillows?

You don't get a robe, but you don't have to wait to ask your cabin steward - if you go to the cruise personalizer on the Princess website, where you set your onboard preferences, you can request the robe there, and it will be waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive.

They should really start doing that with the egg crates and top sheet as well, since so many people ask for them.

I'll be cruising for my first time in less than 3 weeks, what are these "egg crates" all about? I'm trying to make the most of my first experience and am trying to learn all of the insider secrets ;) ps - how quiet are the rooms for light sleepers? Our deck is sandwiched inbetween two other "stateroom only" decks, so I figure that's a good start!

I'll be cruising for my first time in less than 3 weeks, what are these "egg crates" all about? I'm trying to make the most of my first experience and am trying to learn all of the insider secrets ;) ps - how quiet are the rooms for light sleepers? Our deck is sandwiched inbetween two other "stateroom only" decks, so I figure that's a good start!

Many people on these boards say the beds on Princess are notorious for being hard. They order the egg crates to make the beds a bit softer. I hadn't heard that term myself...its those waffled foam mattress covers. It's on my list of things to rqst on my cruise as, like, you, I'm trying to make the most of it! Cheers and enjoy your cruise!

( Haven't cruised yet so don't know about how quiet the rooms are-sorry)

7c40_35.JPG

On the Golden Princess we ordered breakfast from the main dining room every morning. I would order it each morning instead of the night before. It did not take very long for it to arrive. As long as the dining room is open you can order. At least we did. I learned about this on this board. It was nice to eat breakfast on our balcony every morning. This was on our Alaska cruise 2009.

Hi Sisatsea

I started a roll call for this way back in July and I have put something on it so it is up again so you can go there and have a look and put yourselves in the roll call. My sister in law and her husband are coming as well and it will be their first cruise.

Regards - Janet and Richard:)

On the Golden Princess we ordered breakfast from the main dining room every morning. I would order it each morning instead of the night before. It did not take very long for it to arrive. As long as the dining room is open you can order. At least we did. I learned about this on this board. It was nice to eat breakfast on our balcony every morning. This was on our Alaska cruise 2009.

You must have been in a suite?

Otherwise it's only a continental breakfast which needs to have the order placed on your door the night before.

No top sheet because of the duvets, we merely request one when we first meet our steward and it is put on at turn down. I like a sheet between me and the duvet, as well as being able to sleep with just the sheet if the cabin is warm or I get warm.

You should be able to get the slippers by asking your steward as well.

I thought the slippers were a suite perk. Seems like others are getting so many of the "suite perks" these days (other than breakfast) that it's not worth paying double the mini-suite cost for a suite.

I don't mean to open Pandora's Box here, but I'm just curious... If this is true, how is the waiter or room attendant to know if the auto tips were removed or reduced and by what percentage? Take a waiter as an example - if he gets 5 envelopes at one dinner seating, how is he to remember which envelope went with which guest and then be counted on at the risk of losing his job to hand over the correct amount? This just doesn't make sense to me.

And when you do it this way, by cutting the amount of the auto-tip, any cash you give to the steward and dining room staff will have to be given by them to the auto-tip pool.

Only if you do not reduce your auto-tip amount can they keep the cash.

You must have been in a suite? Otherwise it's only a continental breakfast which needs to have the order placed on your door the night before.

OK then let's include this in little known "secrets". While I doubt that you could order anything that's being served in the main DR for breakfast delivery to your room, even the lowliest of inside cabin dwellers:D can order more than a continental breakfast. I've asked for scrambled eggs, bacon, lox & bagels etc.

You do have to hang your order on your door the night before. Just WRITE the items you want on the form and how many orders of each you want. While I think dining al fresco on the balcony is a treat, we rarely take advantage of this because DH prefers to go to the DR and be properly served:rolleyes:.

I don't mean to open Pandora's Box here, but I'm just curious... If this is true, how is the waiter or room attendant to know if the auto tips were removed or reduced and by what percentage? Take a waiter as an example - if he gets 5 envelopes at one dinner seating, how is he to remember which envelope went with which guest and then be counted on at the risk of losing his job to hand over the correct amount? This just doesn't make sense to me.

The recipient is supposed to write the cabin number on the envelope when received, then turn the envelopes in to the supervisor who will check the list to see if the auto-tip has been reduced or eliminated. If not, then the envelope will be returned to the recipient.

When filling out the breakfast order form, be careful about what you write. Last Year on the Emerald my wife was a little more hungry then normal, do to all of the walking on tours, so she wrote down 5 bacon (she wanted 5 strips 0f bacon instead of 3) on the order form. She received five orders of bacon when the breakfast was delivered.:eek:

Bob

Sis - if you find your way back here, click on this link to to to the roll call for your cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232274&highlight= A roll call is where you can meet others who will be on your cruise and exchange information between now and when you sail. It's a great way to meet others and make new friends.

To go back to a thread you have visited before, log in to cruisecritic, choose Boards from the cream colored strip at the bottom of the heading (first on the left), then choose User CP from the cream colored strip at the bottom of the next page heading (first on the left). That should bring up threads that have had new activity since you posted.

You'll find your way around after you've had a bit more time here and you will find cruisecritic a wonderful resource for those of us who love cruising.

When filling out the breakfast order form, be careful about what you write. Last Year on the Emerald my wife was a little more hungry then normal, do to all of the walking on tours, so she wrote down 5 bacon (she wanted 5 strips 0f bacon instead of 3) on the order form. She received five orders of bacon when the breakfast was delivered.:eek:Bob

Oh yes, Princess can be "bacon happy" even in the MDR. Unfortunately I just love crisp bacon - rarely indulge when I'm home, so when those big plates arrive at breakfast I wail, I cry, I say I didn't order all that - and then of course usually end up eating it!

When filling out the breakfast order form, be careful about what you write. Last Year on the Emerald my wife was a little more hungry then normal, do to all of the walking on tours, so she wrote down 5 bacon (she wanted 5 strips 0f bacon instead of 3) on the order form. She received five orders of bacon when the breakfast was delivered.:eek:

Bob

Literally LOL!!!! That just made my day. :D:D:D

I've seen pictures of the famous Princess Fettuccine Alfredo in a crispy (lace) Parmesan Cheese bowl. Is this still available and where (It looked like the "always available Fettuccine" was served in a regular dish).

also, what hours is Sanctuary open? What time does one need to get in line for a day pass? Can you buy morning and afternoon day pass or just one or the other?

Thank you! 14 days until our 1st Princess cruise - could not be more excited!

On the larger ships, such as the Ruby, Emerald, Crown, etc., there is a secret door that leads out to a deck above the bridge. It's a great place to be during sailaway. Just go to the Lido deck and go all the way forward. You will see a door on either side. Go through those doors to another door that leads to a few steps leading to this deck. However, these doors are locked while at sea. It's way too windy and therefore dangerous.

Now that's a secret that should have been kept!!

Archived