Average Weight Gain

Cruisedreamer1

What is your average weight gain while cruising?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average weight gain while cruising?

• 0 to 4 pounds-I don't eat
    • 5-10 pounds-life is good
    • 10-15 pounds- why worry!
    • no comment

What is your average weight gain while any of the Oceania's ships or any other cruise?

The best I could do on a 7 day cruise was 4 pounds and that was with me running 5 miles on the treadmill each morning. Usually, I gain 7 or more pounds.

We are going on a 24 day cruise next March and I worry about this.

What is your average weight gain while any of the Oceania's ships or any other cruise?

The best I could do on a 7 day cruise was 4 pounds and that was with me running 5 miles on the treadmill each morning. Usually, I gain 7 or more pounds.

We are going on a 24 day cruise next March and I worry about this.

We were on a 36 night cruise on Regatta in May and neither of us gained any weight. We eat as we do at home, not to get our monies worth. That means just a salad and main dish and dessert once a day plus one glass of wine with dinner.

We also never used the elevator except for the day we left the ship with our hand luggage. Between the steps, touring, our normal exercises and daily

top deck walking we managed to stay on top of the weight situation.

Good luck and enjoy your 24 day cruise.:)

I either lose weight or don't gain any when I travel, cruises included, due to working out, and increased walking, biking or other activities (skiing, scuba diving, swimming, etc.). So I didn't vote since there was no appropriate category.

It seems those who don't gain weight or gain very little eat sensible, exercise and in general live moderately while on the ship.

The best for me was chosing from the "healthy menu" for most meals,not indulging in lots of alcohol and exercising. We eat only 2 meals a day at home and they are somewhat limited so eating 3 regular meals a day can be dangerous to one's waist line.

Neither my husband nor I gained weight. We walked the track a lot, always took stairs, and I took advantage of the pilates and stretch classes. Other than that, we always went to tea (couldn't resist the scones and the string quartet), had at least one health option at each meal-appetizer, soup, or entree.

The food is very good and there are a lot of choices that are healthy and interesting. My only wish was for some really good European style breads-surprisingly, the choices were pretty much white bread, rolls with seeds on top but not inside, and a very anemic whole wheat.

We also found that we indulged more at the beginning. On an 18 day cruise, we were eating more normally after the first week so your seven day cruise experience might not be a good indicator.

I eat the same way I do at home, with the exception of a daily Martini or glass of wine (make that two) :D that I don't do at home on a daily basis. I seldom take the elevator and before and after going to the gym in the morning, I walk up and down the stairs a few times deck 3 to the pool deck before my cup of coffee in Horizons. If I have gained a pound or two, it is gone within a week of returning home.

If you are really concerned, take along one of those small travel scales that are available online. They only weigh a pound, and take little room in a suitcase. I take mine on every trip, even on safaris where suitcase weight is critical. Check out Magellans or TravelSmith catalogues for ideas. I never gain weight on cruises now.

Hope this helps.

Yes, and starting with the Marina, some of the Ritzier accommodations will feature " private fitness rooms" as well. ;)

I can only imagine you will be like kids in a candy store once onboard. Thanks to you in advance, we will be well briefed. :)

Ok, you won't gain an ounce.

Actually, it is possible, but hard, since food is one of Oceania's major advertising banners. But if you're careful you can enjoy yourself immensely without gaining. There are wonderful fruits and berries for breakfast as an alternative to eggs benedict. There is good sushi for lunch instead of pizza. The thing that always gets me is the desserts, but if I can just be strong and stick to one a day, I'm ok.

Just use the same sense you do at home and you'll be fine. All the walking in port helps, and there is equipment in the gym and exercise classes to help. Enjoy yourself, and don't worry too much if you gain a pound or two. You'll lose it as soon as you go home - it does take a few days to remember you have to feed yourself again, not just show up to be fed.:D

Kay

And all along, we thought it was the salty air that was shrinking our clothes...:rolleyes:

No matter how much we walk in port, all the bread with dinner and the multiple desserts per day eventually add up.

Hi,

Moderation is the key - unfortunately the crew of O try to kill you with kindness. We kept on saying "small portions" please, but to no avail. We hate to waste food!! They kept on saying "enjoy your vacation", but once you are full, you are full!!

Seriously though, the food is wonderful, but we found on our 33 night Hong Kong to Athens cruise on Nautica, we had lots of sea days. As Aussies, we had just come out of summer, so it was very easy for DH and I to run around the decks in the hot sunny - the crew, and CD Lesie Jon, thought we were completely mad!! It helped keep the weight off. It was hot, but there was no humidity, so it was wonderful.

Eat less, move more, don't deny yourself, but let sanity rule and think portion control. Also, always use the stairs. Every calorie burned helps!! Also, a nice short walk after dinner also helps.

By the way, I don't think we put on weight, but the richness of the food was too much. Having said that, we are looking forward to our Christmas/New Year cruise on Regatta on 21st Dec 2010.

We don't use exercise equipment and we don't run. We usually take the elevator for more than a storey. Neither do we eat that much. In a 12 - 14 day voyage, the male cat may gain 4 lbs, and the female cat 2.5 lbs. We usually manage to shake that add-on off in a month .. meow!

Archived