So.. will I make the 11:55 AM Flight?

I guess I am in the minority here.

Number 1, I have done this before and was stressed out beyond enjoyment. You just spent at least 7 WONDERFUL, RELAXING days on a vacation, it is not worth the Sunday morning after stress in my opinion.

Number 2, we had exactly that time for a flight out of MCO. As we reached security, the lines were out into the "lobby" area (for lack of a better description) and the wait was LONG. It took us an hour to get through security and at our gate. We arrived at the gate at 11:30. Again too close and stressful.

Number 3, we actually stayed an extra day in Cocoa Beach to be with some friends we sailed with. Our flight was not until 2:00 pm. We left our hotel at 9:30 just to make sure we had plenty of time. As we get about 10 miles out of the Port Canaveral area we notice traffic slowing down. Within 5 miles it came to a halt. Oh no, what are we gonna do now. The traffic was due to a fatal accident on the Beachline. All of us felt horrible for the individual that lost their life but was also afraid of the wait. Traffic was detoured off the Beachline. Here we are in FL and know of no other roads than the Beachline. THANK GOODNESS for our GPS we had brought with us (this was prior to the time when most rental cars had them). We made it to our gates at 1:00.

Number 4, we also had flights that left later than noon and have been at the gate by 10:00. It happens that way too.

In all instances, yes we made our times and allowed for such, BUT things can happen. I would personally suggest a later flight for the reasons I have above.

Good luck with your decision.

Tim

3.5 extra hours is enough to safely predict they will make it without issue I'd say.

No, the OP has about 2.0 hours - you are supposed to arrive 90 minutes early to the airport when checking luggage. It is not all that uncommon for a ship to either arrive two hours later (due to mechainical problems, whether, medical emergency, search for person overbaord) or for customs to be slow to clear the ship for debarkation (nobody may leave until customs gives the all clear). There is a good reason that the cruise line tells people to NOT book such an early flight - there is a chance they will miss their flight. It is not prudent to tell someone "You won't have any problem" when the cruise line says don't book such an early flight! Hopefully they will not have a problem, and they definitely have a fairly good chance of making the flight, but it is far from a sure thing.

Meg, if you are on the Majesty and flying out of MCO, you will never make the flight. Majesty sails from Miami. Hopefully you are on the Monarch

Yes, Monarch in January, then on to MCO. However, I will be on the Majesty in November, arriving back in Miami but flying out of Ft. Lauderdale. I don't dare post what time that flight is, but will do so AFTER the fact. Let's just say I'm a bit of a gambler, but it does help to have priority status with both RCI and Delta. :D

Yes, Monarch in January, then on to MCO. However, I will be on the Majesty in November, arriving back in Miami but flying out of Ft. Lauderdale. I don't dare post what time that flight is, but will do so AFTER the fact. Let's just say I'm a bit of a gambler, but it does help to have priority status with both RCI and Delta. :D

I would be more of a "gambler" on Majesty to Ft. L than I would Freedom and Orlando. :)

Tim

He may or may not have a problem. It depends if the ship arrives on time, if customs is able to clear the ship in a timely fashion, if the traffic is not unusually bad etc. While the OP has enough time if things run smooth or there are minor delays only, such an early flight from an airport so far away does come with some risk. That is why the cruise line recommends a later flight. While the majority of the time people will make a flight at that time, people can and do miss such a flight. Your making a 10:15 flight has zero bearing on whether or not the OP encounters delays on his trip that would cause the OP to miss the flight.

OK then Mr. expert, what time should the OP book his flight for? In your posts you never give a time, you only cut people down for what they recommend. All I was doing was giving an example of my past experience.

I would have no hesitation of booking 10:15 flight again.

OK then Mr. expert, what time should the OP book his flight for? In your posts you never give a time, you only cut people down for what they recommend. All I was doing was giving an example of my past experience.

I would have no hesitation of booking 10:15 flight again.

I did not cut anybody down. I simply said it is not wise to tell someone they are certain to have no problem when the cruise line itself says to not book a flight so early. I personally would not book a flight earlier than what the cruise line recommends. I factor in what the cruise line recommends, how close the airport is, how many flights are available to my home destination should something go wrong, how much time my travel insurance policy requires a delay to be before they would pay, cost of flights etc. There are many factors and no one right or wrong time.

The way that some of the people on this forum react to any question re: return flight times, I guess the best advice is to leave from where ever you are 24 hours in advance - just in case.

Some people are more willing to cut it close (for various reasons) than other people are. I think a simple "THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE" is what they are looking for. If the majority of people posting in reply are saying "no way", then they may think twice. If the majority of people are saying "no problem", then they feel more comfortable about what they may experience.

Some forum members seem to take it so dang personally when others don't agree with them! Sheesh!

Thank you everyone for your information. I have made the decision to keep the 11:55 flight. I have booked a private car from the pier to the airport. He will meet me at the pier at 8:00 am. And, if the ship has mechanical problems, and comes in late... and the freeway is closed due to a fatal accident... and the airport line is so long it takes me 7 hours to get through security, then.... I am going to Disney World and the heck with flying home :D:D:D:D

Thank you everyone for your information. I have made the decision to keep the 11:55 flight. I have booked a private car from the pier to the airport. He will meet me at the pier at 8:00 am. And, if the ship has mechanical problems, and comes in late... and the freeway is closed due to a fatal accident... and the airport line is so long it takes me 7 hours to get through security, then.... I am going to Disney World and the heck with flying home :D:D:D:D

Make sure you have a plan B just in case you are running late. We made an 11:15am with the same transportation plan that you have decided on. Our driver called us when he got to the port just after 7:30 and we were getting our luggage so we ended up on the road before 8. We did not do self disembark, we were in the fourth group off the ship and cruised right through customs.

Have a list of alternate flights and phone numbers with you so if the ship is late getting to port you can adjust plans before you even get to the pier. Good luck.:)

I am sure things will work out for you. Have a great time.

I simpily stated my different experiences. This does not mean I am right or anyone else is.

I like the way you looked at the different ideas and made your decision. Glad you posted it too. Often people leave us hanging without letting everyone know what they decided.

Tim

I could do it no problem

We did FoS in May, group of 7, checked bags and all.

I think we were off by 9am

and that is with zero priority anything...we were a late group off the ship

Bottomline, it's a 45min drive (max, going at speed limit) to MCO from PC, it's the same road all the way from port to airport.

Archived