So.. will I make the 11:55 AM Flight?

I never had a problem with flight times before, but the big red warning on the cruise document page now has me worried, will I make the 11:55 am flight out of Orlando from the Freedom? With my status (not bragging just saying) I should be able to get priority departure. What do you think? Was I meant to spend an extra day on vacation?

It's about an hour from the port to the airport.

We haven't had a problem with noonish flights out of Miami - but the port in Miami is maybe 15 min from the airport. We've always gotten to the airport in FLL or MIA well before 10.

Not quite sure how it would work with a longer drive - but again, we always seem to be off the ship by 7:30, which would give you plenty of time to get to the airport and make your flight.

I'm sure others who have taken early flights out of Orlando will weigh in with their experiences.

Priority departure would be a must have. If everything goes right, you should make it with a little time to spare. However the highways in central FL are known for their slowdowns. At any rate if you have the beads, I would take them along on the return trip to Orlando so you can press them on your trip to the Orlando airport.

You should be fine, we've easily made it before. I would however ask for priority departure and either rent a car or hire private transportation to the airport. We've done both and still made it to the airport in plenty of time.

This is assuming that the boat docks and clears as normal, without long delays.

So should be okay, but no guarantees......The security line can range from a few minutes to ridiculous, so just be prepared.

Good luck!

Garren

I never had a problem with flight times before, but the big red warning on the cruise document page now has me worried, will I make the 11:55 am flight out of Orlando from the Freedom? With my status (not bragging just saying) I should be able to get priority departure. What do you think? Was I meant to spend an extra day on vacation?

I guess I would really get people here riled up if I said that after a Majesty cruise in November, my flight out of MCO is even earlier than yours....it's at 11:30! :eek:

But as D/D+, we get priority departure and will self disembark, we will have a car there so no need to wait on 3rd party transportation, and since I will have carry on bags only for the flight and smart phone boarding pass, I can skip airport check in and bag drop and go straight to security.

Bracing myself now for all the disaster and delay warnings.... :D

I guess I would really get people here riled up if I said that after a Majesty cruise in November, my flight out of MCO is even earlier than yours....it's at 11:30! :eek:

But as D/D+, we get priority departure and will self disembark, we will have a car there so no need to wait on 3rd party transportation, and since I will have carry on bags only for the flight and smart phone boarding pass, I can skip airport check in and bag drop and go straight to security.

I do hope you meant Monarch! Cause Majesty sails from Miami and it's at least a 3 hour drive from Miami to Orlando...that's NOT a trip I'd want to be making...but to each his own!

The space shuttle is supposed to launch in early November.

If it is returning on the same day you are driving to the airport upon your return, I will have to be listening for another set of sonic booms.:D

I do hope you meant Monarch! Cause Majesty sails from Miami and it's at least a 3 hour drive from Miami to Orlando...that's NOT a trip I'd want to be making...but to each his own!

Yes, sorry, I realized what I posted but it was too late to edit the post. I meant to refer to my Monarch cruise in January, not Majesty in November. That really would be a heroic effort to get from the Port of Miami to MCO for an 11:30am flight, huh?! :p

You will have no problem. We made a 10:15 back in February and had time for breakfast at the airport.

He may or may not have a problem. It depends if the ship arrives on time, if customs is able to clear the ship in a timely fashion, if the traffic is not unusually bad etc. While the OP has enough time if things run smooth or there are minor delays only, such an early flight from an airport so far away does come with some risk. That is why the cruise line recommends a later flight. While the majority of the time people will make a flight at that time, people can and do miss such a flight. Your making a 10:15 flight has zero bearing on whether or not the OP encounters delays on his trip that would cause the OP to miss the flight.

It depends on how mush value you put on worrying about it all week on your cruise.

What's a smart phone boarding pass?

thanks

Sue

At some airports now, you don't have to print your boarding pass. You can have it sent to your phone, and you just scan your phone before security and when you're boarding the plane.

I've seen it at DCA, recently--not sure how widespread it is.

At some airports now, you don't have to print your boarding pass. You can have it sent to your phone, and you just scan your phone before security and when you're boarding the plane.

I've seen it at DCA, recently--not sure how widespread it is.

Thanks for the info, this would be awesome. I am usually flying to/from relatively small airports, though, so who knows when I will see it.

Sue

Thank you for the information. I don't think there will be an issue, but you just never know. I always booked late flights before, and wound up sitting at the airport for hours and hours. It seems the airlines have cut back on flight schedules, and the 11:55 out of Orlando to Phoenix, was the only direct flight.

As always with travel, you just never know, so it is always best not to worry and go with the flow...:)

Thank you for the information. I don't think there will be an issue, but you just never know. I always booked late flights before, and wound up sitting at the airport for hours and hours. It seems the airlines have cut back on flight schedules, and the 11:55 out of Orlando to Phoenix, was the only direct flight.

As always with travel, you just never know, so it is always best not to worry and go with the flow...:)

If everything goes right (first one off, rental car, no custom problems, no traffic) you could be at the airport around 9:00 - 9:15. Yes you could encounter some problems and miss your flight but the chances are very slight that you would miss a 11:55 flight. How early to you get to the airport for your flight to Orlando?

You will be fine. We've sailed the Freedom twice and always left the ship around 8:00 and made it to the airport in plenty of time. I would just not rely on a shuttle bus to get there though. We had this plan before and the shuttle bus had to be filled before it left. We ended up taking a taxi or had a rental car. Unless there's something major going on in Orlando during the time of your cruise, the ride will be about 45 mins from port to airport. Have an awesome time on the Freedom...We've been on her twice and are hoping to get back there again next year.

We got off the Freedom this past Sunday Aug 22nd; we used Express Departure (carried our own bags and disembarked at 7:15am), met our private shuttle van at 7:30, were at the airport at 8:15 and the gate at 8:30......all for a 12:05 flight.

You won't have any problem.

We got off the Freedom this past Sunday Aug 22nd; we used Express Departure (carried our own bags and disembarked at 7:15am), met our private shuttle van at 7:30, were at the airport at 8:15 and the gate at 8:30......all for a 12:05 flight.

You won't have any problem.

Past performance has no bearing on future results.

Meg, if you are on the Majesty and flying out of MCO, you will never make the flight. Majesty sails from Miami. Hopefully you are on the Monarch

Yes, sorry, I realized what I posted but it was too late to edit the post. I meant to refer to my Monarch cruise in January, not Majesty in November. That really would be a heroic effort to get from the Port of Miami to MCO for an 11:30am flight, huh?! :p

It sure would...and we'd all be following your trip here on CC..like some of the ones we watched racing FROM the airport to the ship...:D

Archived