Conch Republic and the Nation of Why Not

:cool:Years ago, so the legend goes, the citizens of Key West, succeeded from the United States, and formed the Conch Republic. Upset by backups on Route 1, the only highway in and out of Key West, caused by drug enforcement agents, the citizens left the union, founded the CR, and declared war in the US. They immediately surrendered, and applied for foreign aid.

NOW - We the citizens of the Nation of Why Not should succeed because of the following:

1. Not allowed to bring wine on board for personal consumption.

2. Not being allowed to purchase and have liquor bottles in our cabins

3. Not enforceing dress standards in the MDR at dinner

4. Not being able to bring soda and water on board

5. Not enough live music on pool deck

6. Lowered food standards in MDR

7. Paying for steaks, as extras, that used to be free

8. Allowing kids in adult pool areas and hot tubs

9. etc

Interesting theory on being secessionist about things, however the conch-ers will always have one thing over the why not-ers, the fact of residency. If we imagine the ship or even the entire cruise line to be a country, we are but holders of temporary visas and not of citizenship. Oh there are stories of folks who live on cruise ships but not county Residensea, these are few and far between, and always bear just a bit of urban myth along side of their facts.

Now if we could get past that pesky citizenship issue, we would then face the far worse problem. The offenders in many of these cases are our fellow citizens. Alcohol restrictions would indeed be a grievance against the country, but babies in the pools would be a grievance against the citizenry. A revolution divided is no revolution at all.

#'s 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, & 7 are all good solid revolutionary issues.

#'s 3 & 8 are problematic as you are asking the nation you view as draconian to be a bit more draconian towards some people while relaxing their draconianism against us on a variety of other issues.

And I am saying this from a position of agreement with pretty much all of these issues. Some of them don't matter that much to me, but in the name of revolutionary unity I could get behind them because they might just make my cruise experience more fun.

Viva le Resistance

The only one of these items that really gets to me is the lack of music on the lido deck upon boarding. I feel like it should be playing right from the start. Maybe not the band, but at least some island, reggae, caribbean something over the speakers. I'm happy anyways, but that music right away would just escalate the excitement, IMO.

I do wish the food quality hadn't dropped, but it seems to have happened on other lines as well in the MDR. So be it.

Archived