Bad 24 Hours For My Daughter

kiwi sailor

My daughter had to to deal with a passenger who sadly passed away in a public area last night on the PD after being alerted by a passenger. Then this morning had to change crew cabins. All of her desktop items that were placed in paper sacks for moving to her new cabin, including, netbook, hair straightner, camera charger, Aussie mobile phone, hair products and other items were mistaken by a new room stewart and sent to the rubbish furness as rubbish while she was busy writing up her report. So if you see a sad looking Youth Security Officer with messy hair on the Dawn this week, give her a smile. Hope she has better luck when she moves`to the Jewel next month.:(

My daughter had to to deal with a passenger who sadly passed away in a public area last night on the PD after being alerted by a passenger. Then this morning had to change crew cabins. All of her desktop items that were placed in paper sacks for moving to her new cabin, including, netbook, hair straightner, camera charger, Aussie mobile phone, hair products and other items were mistaken by a new room stewart and sent to the rubbish furness as rubbish while she was busy writing up her report. So if you see a sad looking Youth Security Officer with messy hair on the Dawn this week, give her a smile. Hope she has better luck when she moves`to the Jewel next month.:(

Not a good day for your daughter. :(

And very sad about the passenger.

That really is a horrid 24 hours, I hope she is ok!

I just hope that they give her some support with counciling as this is her first experience with coming across death, a bit tough for a 21 year old. But I'm sure it won't be her last time.

I just hope that they give her some support with counciling as this is her first experience with coming across death, a bit tough for a 21 year old. But I'm sure it won't be her last time.

I'm pretty sure she'll get support. When we were on Jewel in March we were introduced to a staff memeber who was responsible for looking after the welfare of the crew and passengers, particularly in instances like this. Presumably there is a similar position on Pacific Dawn.

one would thing that P&O would look after her with any thing she has lost. well lets hope so:D:D

Definitely; it was done by a staff member so I'd hope so (the same as if any other passenger had a staff member throw stuff out that wasn't meant to be).

I do wonder about some staff though. When I got off my Sun cruise, I noticed that the cleaners had just tossed some ship library books from a cabin in the garbage bag with other rubbish. It was really easy to see and obviously deliberate (and nothing wrong with them either). Either didn't care or didn't think.

Definitely; it was done by a staff member so I'd hope so (the same as if any other passenger had a staff member throw stuff out that wasn't meant to be).

I do wonder about some staff though. When I got off my Sun cruise, I noticed that the cleaners had just tossed some ship library books from a cabin in the garbage bag with other rubbish. It was really easy to see and obviously deliberate (and nothing wrong with them either). Either didn't care or didn't think.

yes have to agree some of them dont give a------.:D

That's very sad. Hopee things pick up for her now.

What is her name & when does she move to PJ? We are on PJ 22nd & 30th Sept and we have our 2 teenagers with us.

Give her my best wishes, she will get through it. Support and time are a proven healer. Hope she gets some post trauma counselling from P&O, on board or ashore.

As for the Steward who 'dumped' her possessions' I would hope he/she gets dealt with in the appropriate manner.

That's not a good day for anyone, thta is for sure.

Hope things improve.

How common is it for people to die on a cruise?

I know some trips can have a fair few older people on board, so odds are it happens from time to time. But all the same, I would have thought it would be unexpected as people don't normally go on holiday if they are unwell.

What a terrible time for his/her family.

That's very sad. Hopee things pick up for her now.

What is her name & when does she move to PJ? We are on PJ 22nd & 30th Sept and we have our 2 teenagers with us.

Her name is Janelle and she joins the Jewel on the 22nd. We are flying to Sydney for a few days to join her between ships. I think the "Bank Of Dad" might get a thrashing between her and her mother. I might be the one needing counciling after that.;)

Her name is Janelle and she joins the Jewel on the 22nd. We are flying to Sydney for a few days to join her between ships. I think the "Bank Of Dad" might get a thrashing between her and her mother. I might be the one needing counciling after that.;)

Haha, Bank of Dad - good one!! I remember now, we didn't meet Janelle on our NZ cruise, but we passed on a message from you to another Security Officer who said he would tell her! Hope he did. :) :) :)

I'll be sure to say hi to her. I suppose if she is youth security...............my teens will get to know her well:)

How traumatic for all concerned. Do hope P & O train their staff to handle these type of situations. Not an easy thing for anyone to have to deal with in a public place, your poor daughter.

Did this happen on the Pacific Dawn coming into Brisbane from the Pacific islands cruise, or the cruise departing Brisbane on the way up the QLD coast?

Jillybean:)

The good news is that they have recovered the bag that had all her chargers in it, so she can charge her NZ mobile, camera etc. I think she is more worried about her make-up and hair straightner. Afterall how can a girl survive without her make-up and heaven forbid that you can have hair in a natural state. Thanks for all your messages.

That's not a good day for anyone, thta is for sure.

Hope things improve.

How common is it for people to die on a cruise?

I know some trips can have a fair few older people on board, so odds are it happens from time to time. But all the same, I would have thought it would be unexpected as people don't normally go on holiday if they are unwell.

What a terrible time for his/her family.

From what I've heard from various crews on various cruises, they generally have at least one death per cruise. The longer cruises tend to have more.

I remember on a 49 night cruise on the Fairstar back in 1978 we lost seven passengers (very sad but it will give you an idea of the demographic on board the longer voyages) and the Captain also passed away (I kid you not). The First Officer had to take over until a new Captain could be flown out from Italy to meet us at the next port.

Jenny

I remember on a 49 night cruise on the Fairstar back in 1978 we lost seven passengers (very sad but it will give you an idea of the demographic on board the longer voyages) and the Captain also passed away (I kid you not). The First Officer had to take over until a new Captain could be flown out from Italy to meet us at the next port.

Jenny

OMG.... :eek::eek:

Archived