New here and my first cruise with celebrity, what is the dress code?

jerseygirl21

Hester ~ sorry I should have made two separate posts. No, I was not referring to your post at all. I was answering your post and then adding a reminder for several previous posts that are no longer here. I apologize for confusing you and in the future, I'll be sure to make my answers and notes that address another issue as separate posts :) So sorry!

Here's my question....can you change clothes after dinner and put shorts and a tee-shirt on? From what I have read on Celebrity's site, it states smart casual in the evenings.....

Celebrity generally means that the EVENING everywhere on the ship is smart casual or formal, not just the dining room for dinner. It makes for a very lovely tone throughout the ship on formal night when people are at the shows or in the clubs in their formal attire. We've always enjoyed that when on board.

DH has a tux and takes his white dinner jacket for variation (especially nice in the Caribbean) and I usually take my formal long black skirt and several dressy tops and shawls and nice jewelry to dress things up. I guess we enjoy having late seating dinner in formal attire and then sitting in one of the clubs for a drink or two after while we people watch and chat with new friends.

But we do see people who've changed after dinner, mostly from formal into smart casual. Generally, people don't change into shorts in the evening. Of course, if you're traveling with teenagers, you can't usually keep them in formal attire after dinner.

S

Rossey, I wasn't referring to you as being rude. Sorry if you thought I was. I was just making comment as to some of the threads on here, some folks have made some "not so kind comments".

Elena7seas, thanks for the info, that was very helpful.

I appreciate all the assistance or advice I can get on here. Thanks.

:o

For those who always wear cruise line approved formal wear - do you change into non-formal wear after dinner and if so why?

I stay dressed the same way all night. It's not that hard, lol... Oh well. Playing roulette in a nice looking black suit is cool! Shows off the cuff links, lol. Not a big tux guy though I admit. But basic black always works. Slimming too, lol...

Jeff

Hester ~ sorry I should have made two separate posts. No, I was not referring to your post at all. I was answering your post and then adding a reminder for several previous posts that are no longer here. I apologize for confusing you and in the future, I'll be sure to make my answers and notes that address another issue as separate posts :) So sorry!

Thanks for explaining yourself HostAnn. I find everyone on here mostly very friendly and helpful. I have put my question to my roll call.

Celebrity generally means that the EVENING everywhere on the ship is smart casual or formal, not just the dining room for dinner. It makes for a very lovely tone throughout the ship on formal night when people are at the shows or in the clubs in their formal attire. We've always enjoyed that when on board.

DH has a tux and takes his white dinner jacket for variation (especially nice in the Caribbean) and I usually take my formal long black skirt and several dressy tops and shawls and nice jewelry to dress things up. I guess we enjoy having late seating dinner in formal attire and then sitting in one of the clubs for a drink or two after while we people watch and chat with new friends.

But we do see people who've changed after dinner, mostly from formal into smart casual. Generally, people don't change into shorts in the evening. Of course, if you're traveling with teenagers, you can't usually keep them in formal attire after dinner.

S

A couple of corrections, the dress code is not for the evening anymore,they do request that you remain smart causal for the theater but the rest of the ship is anything goes.

One of the earlier posts had mentioned dress code for specialty restaurants is the same as other restaurants. This is no longer the case, they are smart causal in all speciatlies and this includes blu.

I am just off of the Solstice yesterday...

A couple of corrections, the dress code is not for the evening anymore,they do request that you remain smart causal for the theater but the rest of the ship is anything goes.

One of the earlier posts had mentioned dress code for specialty restaurants is the same as other restaurants. This is no longer the case, they are smart causal in all speciatlies and this includes blu.

Just curious on the formal nights that you just experrienced what would you 'guesstimate' the % of cruisers wearing tux's and suits in the MDR?

Did you exerience much weather disturbances from the Hurricaine?

Don, was this change for Specialty Restaurants to smart casual you reference in the Solstice Daily's or what? I know the posts get into back and forths, but the Celebrity website states:

"The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length."

So did the Solstice list this as a change, or is this what you observed, or what?

This is Not a: 'you're wrong, this is the rules/law/ordance' type comment, this is a question for clarification. I'm not sure why the Specialty Restaurants, usually touted as a step-above experience, would be casual dining while MDR was Formal, but just want to know what you based your statement on. Understand it gives those that do not wish to go Formal more options.

Denny

Denny, there are conflicting statements on the website and under FAQ's it says the specialty restaurants are smart casual.

Again and Again!

I think I figured out why Celebrity continues to have conflicting statements on their websites...and it always has to do with dress code: they have a group of 'hate dressing up in a monkey suit' and a group of 'grow up and follow the rules!' running the website and each of them keep putting up conflicting Dress Code statements!

.....or, Celebrity realizes that with the conflicting statements, we keep talking about it and that keeps Celebrity on our minds, you know the old canard: "write anything you want about me, just make sure you spell my name right".

Ma Bell, I should have remembered about all the conflicting Celebrity website 'info' on Dress Code, but I try to wash it out of my mind, and it appears I succeeded!

Denny

Don, was this change for Specialty Restaurants to smart casual you reference in the Solstice Daily's or what? I know the posts get into back and forths, but the Celebrity website states:

"The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length."

So did the Solstice list this as a change, or is this what you observed, or what?

This is Not a: 'you're wrong, this is the rules/law/ordance' type comment, this is a question for clarification. I'm not sure why the Specialty Restaurants, usually touted as a step-above experience, would be casual dining while MDR was Formal, but just want to know what you based your statement on. Understand it gives those that do not wish to go Formal more options.

Denny

Denny:

I'll 'try and answer your questions, first, the dailies say nothing either way, they don't define the dress codes...They only say its a formal night or smart casual. They do request you follow the dress codes in all restaurants and the theater after 6:00P.M. Second, as Ma indicated there are conflicting statements. Here is the conflicting statement to what you provided.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=00000FKJl0DqgUOIgalc7G-e80V:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

Finally, the comments I made were based upon observations in the various restaurants and particularly in Blu where I at every night except one...

Hope this helps...

Just curious on the formal nights that you just experrienced what would you 'guesstimate' the % of cruisers wearing tux's and suits in the MDR?

Did you exerience much weather disturbances from the Hurricaine?

I am guessing, tuxes 5%, most men did wear either suits or sportcoats with ties, well over 50%. Rest were smart casual, no jacket or tie but nice shirt except for a few roaming around in shorts and bathing suits...Apparently nothing from the hurricanes except it was raining in FLL when we left, no problems at sea...Lucky they are doing western this week.

Archived