zuiderdam balcony question

jpinperth

Hi,

Can someone tell me if all of the balconies on the zuiderdam have clear plexi to allow an unobstructed view?

Thanks....Jim

I am going to cover all the Verandah Questions in this reply:)

VH 4001 through VH 4004 and VF 4005 through VF 4042 are staterooms with solid steel verandah railings instead of clear-view Plexiglas® railings.

VD 4051, VD 4052, VD 4131, VD 4132, VF 5051, VF 5054, VF 5137, VF 5140, VA 6003, VA 6004, VB 6049, VA 8031, VA 8032 are wheelchair accessible, roll-in shower only.

VH 4001, VH 4002, VH 4003, VH 4004, VF 4005, VF 4007, VF 4008, VD 4166, VD 4170, VD 4172, VD 4173, VD 4175, VD 4177, VC 5171, VC 5174, VC 5175, VC 5176, VC 5178, VC 5179, VB 6148, VB 6150, VB 6152, VB 6156, VB 6157, VB 6160, are staterooms with a shower only.

2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathtub, shower, sitting area, private verandah, floor-to-ceiling windows.

This Category (all of the V) DOES NOT qualify for either the Neptune Lounge Access or the One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service.

Approximately 254 sq. ft. to include the verandah.

The standard Verandah/Balcony is 6 feet deep by 9 feet wide. VA aft/stern Verandah/Balcony are deeper (how much depends on which deck, and Vista class versus Signature class). VD are 7.5 feet deep. VF and VE on Vista Class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam, Verandah deck are only 4.5 feet deep.

The Verandahs for VD 4164 and VD 4166 are 18 feet wide as opposed to the average 9 feet wide. So if you are choosing for the size of your verandah, these 2 staterooms appear to be the best for size.

VA 4174, VA 4176, VA 4179 and VA 4181 Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Staterooms. These VA AFT Staterooms are about 3 feet lomger than the other 2 Aft facing cabins (VB 4178 and VB 4183.) They are also about 6 inches wider. Does not sound like much but does help with the congestion around the end of the bed. Balcony size is about 10 feet X 10 feet with a lounge chair, two deck chairs, a very small table and ottoman/footstool. The Deck 4 Aft VA's are all about 3 ft longer inside than the side VA's, and the balconies are about 4 ft deeper than the side VA's.

The SS, SY and SZ Superior Verandah Suite Staterooms DO NOT qualify for the Neptune Lounge, but DO qualify for One Touch 24 Hour Concierge Service.

The SA, SB, SC and PS (Penthouse) ALL qualify for both the One Touch 24 Concierge Servie AND the Neptune Lounge.

And finally:

Zuiderdam (and most likely all 4 Vista Class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam & Zuiderdam)

I received the following information regarding SA,SB and SC Stateroom sizes on the Zuiderdam May 31, 2010.

(The stern verandas on the Noordam are different from the other three Vistas. The pic below (INCLUDE Vista-Sterns.jpg WHEN POSTING THIS INFO) is the Zuiderdam, showing that the deck 4 verandas are larger and more exposed, and the deck 5 ones are completely covered. The Oosterdam and Westerdam are like this. The Noordam stern is evenly sloped, so that 4 is not larger nor is 5 covered any more than 4, 6, or 7. Deck 8 has a lot of coverage on all four ships, but probably a little more so on the Noordam.

These sizes are NOT including the Verandah/Balcony, just the stateroom themselves.

Deck 4 SC 4180 & SC 4185 324 sq ft (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 5 SC 5190 & SC 5191 365 sq ft (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 6 SC 6166 & SC 6177 - 311 sq ft (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 6 SC 6164 & SC 6175 - 311 sq ft (Aft Stateroom)

Deck 6 SB 6084, SB 6086 & SB 6088 - 393 sq ft (Midship Port Side)

Deck 6 SB 6093, SB 6095 & SB 6097 - 393 sq ft (Midship Starboard Side)

Deck 7 SA 7047 & SA 7053 - 391 sq ft (Midship)

Deck 7 SA 7048 & SA 7086 - 391 sq ft (Midship Port Side)

Deck 7 SB 7088 & SB 7093 - 270 sq ft (Bend of Ship)

Deck 7 SB 7142 & SB 7151 - 315 sq ft (Aft Wraparound)

Deck 7 SA 7057 & SA 7091 - 391 sq ft (Midship Starboard Side)

Deck 8 SB 8140 & SB 8147 - 300 sq ft (Aft Wraparound)

I think that covers it all:)

Joanie

All the OP needed to know was in Post #2. ;)

Why, Bless your heart:) Tis, in my estimation, better to give all the information one could ask for in one place, than to have to search and ask the same question in many places:)

Joanie

All the OP needed to know was in Post #2.

Why, Bless your heart:) Tis, in my estimation, better to give all the information one could ask for in one place, than to have to search and ask the same question in many places:)

Joanie

Thank you SO much, Joanie. We are on Zuiderdam in a couple of weeks and, even though I did not post the question, I REALLY appreciate your thorough and very detailed reply.

I'm not sure why someone feels the need to be dismissive of your knowledge and willingness to offer specifics.

I have learned a lot about our first HAL cruise from your posts. Keep up the good work! Hopefully, we will soon have pics from 4180 to contribute to your collection.

Thank you SO much, Joanie. We are on Zuiderdam in a couple of weeks and, even though I did not post the question, I REALLY appreciate your thorough and very detailed reply.

I'm not sure why someone feels the need to be dismissive of your knowledge and willingness to offer specifics.

I have learned a lot about our first HAL cruise from your posts. Keep up the good work! Hopefully, we will soon have pics from 4180 to contribute to your collection.

J & G, Thank you!! I am glad that the info is helpful!! That's exactly why I posted it, knowing that if not the OP, then others would also benefit from the details:)

I tend to ignore the negativity and look for the positives in everyone and everything. In doing so, I benefit from CC members such as yourself volunteering to help not only me, with the stateroom photos and info, but all the other CC members also:)

Thank you so much!! I will be looking forward to your photos of 4180!!

Joanie

;) Considering the Zuiderdam in the near future, so Joanie you were very helpful. I'm going to copy it for reference. Thanks...

Glad I can help:) But instead of copying the info you can always bookmark the site instead. I have all the info, with deck plans, a lot of stateroom photos and descriptions on the HAL Staterooms/Cabins web site.

You can access the Main Page here (Has all the HAL ships) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/ or just the Zuiderdam http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Zuiderdam/index.html . The CC Hosts have also made it a sticky thread (permanent) at the top of the HAL board.

I am hoping to have all of the HAL ships formatted with the same informational layouts by this coming Thursday. There is the main page with all the stateroom info, then there is the Handicapped Stateroom Info page and finally the Public Areas of the ship.

Right now I have Amsterdam, Eurodam, Maasdam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam complete. (have to take today off to relax)

Joanie

And Bless Your Heart too! :)

Why not answer any specific question on the board with a whole rundown of every feature on every ship in the fleet? :rolleyes:

That would surely answer every question a potential poster has!!!

Point is, some people ask a specific question and want a specific answer, and information overload is not always appreciated ... and at times, as has been proven over and over on this very board, is not always accurate.

J & G, Thank you!! I am glad that the info is helpful!! That's exactly why I posted it, knowing that if not the OP, then others would also benefit from the details:)

I tend to ignore the negativity and look for the positives in everyone and everything. In doing so, I benefit from CC members such as yourself volunteering to help not only me, with the stateroom photos and info, but all the other CC members also:)

Thank you so much!! I will be looking forward to your photos of 4180!!

Joanie

Bless your heart back at ya. :D

How is it negative to point out that the OP's question was answered simply and directly in Post #2? I was stating a simple fact. The question was answered succinctly and directly.

I feel YOU are introducing negativity by interpreting MY post in a negative way. You certainly were not "looking at the positives in everyone and everything" when it comes to my post.

And Bless Your Heart too! :)

Why not answer any specific question on the board with a whole rundown of every feature on every ship in the fleet? :rolleyes:

That would surely answer every question a potential poster has!!!

Point is, some people ask a specific question and want a specific answer, and information overload is not always appreciated ... and at times, as has been proven over and over on this very board, is not always accurate.

And where would one find that "always accurate" information? Apparently, not even HAL's own website is always accurate, as evidenced by several other threads. When doing research, it is always prudent to triangulate the data, before considering it to be accurate.

If the OP feels that the info is overload, it can certainly be ignored.

How is it negative to point out that the OP's question was answered simply and directly in Post #2? I was stating a simple fact. The question was answered succinctly and directly.

I feel YOU are introducing negativity by interpreting MY post in a negative way. You certainly were not "looking at the positives in everyone and everything" when it comes to my post.

Wow! And your posts are usually nice... ;)

Ouch! Joanie, ease up. Sometimes everyone here is a little too quick to jump on others. No reason to get all upset on a nice Sunday in August.

To use the word "negativity" is just an invitation to start something. Fact is, you've supplied a tremendous amount of really good information and while it might be very helpful to many people, they're not necessarily going to hop on this thread and see it.

While some people spend their days here, many don't. So maybe a really good idea since you feel this info is important, would be to start a thread and title it something that would draw attention like ...

"Everything you ever wanted to know about Zuiderdam balconies and then some!"

Meantime, the OP's head must be spinning in circles thinking "All I asked was whether the Zuiderdam balconies had plexiglass!!!" LOL!:D

Because I prefer to give full answers and not partial ones.

If you are overloaded with the information, please forgive me. I try my best and can only hope we all do the same:)

Joanie

Ouch! Joanie, ease up. Sometimes everyone here is a little too quick to jump on others. No reason to get all upset on a nice Sunday in August.

To use the word "negativity" is just an invitation to start something. Fact is, you've supplied a tremendous amount of really good information and while it might be very helpful to many people, they're not necessarily going to hop on this thread and see it.

While some people spend their days here, many don't. So maybe a really good idea since you feel this info is important, would be to start a thread and title it something that would draw attention like ...

"Everything you ever wanted to know about Zuiderdam balconies and then some!"

Meantime, the OP's head must be spinning in circles thinking "All I asked was whether the Zuiderdam balconies had plexiglass!!!" LOL!:D

You are right Heather!! To nice a day to let anything get me upset, which BTW I was/am not:) I was simply replying to another CC member who thanked me for the info I had provided as they are thinking about taking the Zuiderdam:)

Also, there already is a Sticky at the Top of The HAL Boards that has the link to the HAL Staterooms/Cabins web site with all the info on all the HAL ships. I also have the links in my Signature. Some people have the Signatures turned off and many many others are unaware of the Sticky... Therefore...:)

Joanie

Because I prefer to give full answers and not partial ones.

If you are overloaded with the information, please forgive me. I try my best and can only hope we all do the same:)

Joanie

I would like to know what was incomplete about my post in relation to the OP's question? Which was...

Hi,

Can someone tell me if all of the balconies on the zuiderdam have clear plexi to allow an unobstructed view?

I guess I failed to give all the cabin #'s ? The OP could have gone to the deck plans on Hal's site for that as well.

I would like to know what was incomplete about my post in relation to the OP's question?

There was nothing incomplete about your answer. When someone asks the time, there's no need to tell them how to build a clock.

I would like to know what was incomplete about my post in relation to the OP's question? Which was...

Hi,

I guess I failed to give all the cabin #'s ? The OP could have gone to the deck plans on Hal's site for that as well.

There was nothing incomplete.....it's just nice to have all the info, including cabin numbers, in one location without having to cross-reference.

Of course, this is coming from someone who likes to know the inner workings of the clock! :D:D If I know how it works, I can apply that information in a viariety of situations. And you never know when you might need that! ;)

Hi,

maxout, I stated it was a partial response because while you did give the location of where the steel railing staterooms are, in my thought was that someone unfamiliar with Zuiderdam, or any other Vista Class ship, would not know how far forward those staterooms were. Until I started doing the pages, I did not know. But thanks to helpful CC members on this board I have learned.

I know I have read a few posts where the poster was upset because they thought they were getting a Plexiglas verandah and instead got the steel.

I was only attempting to give the exact locations and stateroom numbers, which I think you have to admit, are the best way to do that:)

I continued with all of the info I did for those that would come afterwards and ask the all to familar questions regarding size, locations etc....

That was my only intent. It was NOT to say that you gave wrong info or incomplete!!! I hope you understand that there was no offense meant to you!!

As you have read, there were at least 2 other posters who did indeed feel the info was needed/wanted by them.

Joanie

There was nothing incomplete about your answer. When someone asks the time, there's no need to tell them how to build a clock.

There you go!!!!:D

Joanie, my point exactly. Maybe my post was too convoluted. Anyway ... one of those "asked and answered" we see so often here!:)

However if someone is kind enough to tell you the time ...then graciously offer you more information on how to build a clock so you could know the hour anytime you wished .....the correct response is ...Thankyou

Precisely!

Information is like money.....it's usually better to have too much than too little. (Yes, I know there are exceptions to every rule.....)

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

All the OP needed to know was in Post #2. ;)

LOL.

But I also thnk OP needs to know that they charge you an $18 corkage fee if you bring your own wine into the MDR but its OK to drink it on your balcony, as long as they don't smoke to much while drinking on the balcony, especialy if they are smoking cigars. Oh, and they should not prop the balcony door open to listen to the ocean after they wore jeans on formal night.

:D

Archived