Spend spend spend

jedling

We need a bit of advice please. :confused:

We are travelling to the Panama Canal/Bolivia/Columbia regions. I beiieve each place has their own currency but will we also be able to use US Dollars quite easily or not ?

As you can tell we are English!

Many thanks ;)

Jedling

US dollars were readily accepted in the ports we went to on our Panama Canal cruise. I did not take any other currency.

Credit cards also work.

Have a great cruise!

Be aware that if you use credit cards, there are all kinds of extra "international" and "exchange rate" charges added on to every use.

I would take cash for "In-Port" shopping. It works better for bargaining as well. ;)

Hope This Helps.

Be aware that if you use credit cards, there are all kinds of extra "international" and "exchange rate" charges added on to every use.
I am puzzled by this statement since it is contrary to my own experience. To the best of my understanding, whether or not any type of additional charge is added to a credit card transaction will depend on the terms of the particular credit card that someone chooses to use. Charges are not (or certainly should not be) mysteriously added without your knowledge and consent.

Like so many other travelers, I routinely use a credit card that does not charge an exchange fee when buying something in foreign currency and therefore do not incur any such charges.

I am puzzled by this statement since it is contrary to my own experience. To the best of my understanding, whether or not any type of additional charge is added to a credit card transaction will depend on the terms of the particular credit card that someone chooses to use. Charges are not (or certainly should not be) mysteriously added without your knowledge and consent.

Like so many other travelers, I routinely use a credit card that does not charge an exchange fee when buying something in foreign currency and therefore do not incur any such charges.

In the UK, there are no longer any credit cards that do not charge a fee for use overseas!

However, when no fee or commision is charged with any exchange rate transaction, there can be extra costs hidden in the exchange rate used.

Sue

In the UK, there are no longer any credit cards that do not charge a fee for use overseas!

However, when no fee or commision is charged with any exchange rate transaction, there can be extra costs hidden in the exchange rate used.

Thanks for the explanation. Here in the USA we supposedly have consumer protection laws so companies are required to disclose any such additional fees if they charge them, but they are usually buried in the contract in tiny print that most people do not bother to read.

Fortunately for us, we have not yet encountered any such additional fees since our credit card charges have always been posted at the going exchange rate.

The problem with making purchases in cash in foreign currency is that it is difficult to predict in advance exactly how much cash we will need. So whenever we have used cash, we have always been hit with double conversion fees, once for the original exchange, and again at the end to convert back whatever money is left over. The reasons why we prefer to use credit cards are

(1) we are charged no conversion fee at all, plus

(2) we get the protection of the credit card company in case of a disputed charge.

Whoops, forgot to. list the 3rd reason.

(3) If cash is lost or stolen, it is gone. If a credit card is lost or stolen, you just notify the credit card company, they issue you a replacement card, and you lose nothing.

Hi

Sometimes it's the tour companies charging if you use credit cards to pay for tours. On our Baltic cruise this Spring, for both our Berlin and St. Petersburg tours we were quoted one price if we paid cash and a higher price if we paid via credit card. The difference in price can be between 3% and 8% depending on the card used.

Bev

Sue

The Post Office advertises that they have 0% Foreign Purchase Fee.

Archived