Do I need to bring a Car Seat for my 2yr old Daughter

PortugueseLady

This question is frequently asked, especially on the family board, and I'm never sure why. Does your child ride in a car seat at home? Do you think driving in these ports is "safer" than the US?

Of course you need to bring a car seat unless you are taking a bus or shuttle that has no seat belts.

Hi,

Do I need to bring a car seat for:

The ride from the airport to the port in Ft. Lauderdale?

The islands, Bahamas? St. Thomas? and St. Marteen?

Thanks so much?

I've not yet seen a cab, van, or other public transport that has a car seat. So I would say yes, if you use one at home, you'd need to bring one for your child.

If you use a shuttle (bus) to and from the airport, you won't need a carseat....no seatbelts!

If you're doing ship excursions (or even "private" ones) they generally uses a bus or some other non-seatbelted transport. You can find that out from the ship or provider.

• 2 weeks later...

Finding a taxi/van with actual seatbelts in the ports you are visiting is rare. You have to look for or request them. You'll definitely need the car seat in Florida unless you use a shuttle bus. Then, no need, as they don't have seatbelts. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are notorious for removing backseat seatbelts in taxis, so they can jam more people into that backseat (because they charge per person$$$$$) Also, open-air taxi-vans are the norm in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten. NO seatbelts! And you will be squished beyond belief! Again...the norm is to charge PER PERSON. Including your toddler. Probably the only seat belts you'll find in a taxi is in the front passenger seat. Nassau uses a lot of vans, and there may or may not be seatbelts. I've been to these ports many times, and am just repeating what I've seen and experienced. I've also stated my experiences on the Family Board, and have gotten "politely bashed". You can rent a car at each port with seatbelts. Lots of families do this. Do a "Search" on the Family Board, and you'll find lots of posts about this, and posters who disagree with me. I know what I've seen in 30 years of cruising. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Also - if you're cruising on anything other than Disney or RCI Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Oasis, or Allure, if your DD is not potty-trained, she will NOT be allowed in any of the ship's pools.

Have to agree with most of what the last poster stated. Also, drivers are not quite as safe as in the U.S. I'm not quite sure why parents want to take babies/toddlers to foreign countries. . . . your daughter won't remember or appreciate it and there are more risks than for older children who can communicate. Also suggest you go to the family boards as they seem to think they have this situation under control. Truly not trying to be negative. . . . just thinking about my own daughter.

Archived