Return Flight After Cruise - Port of Galveston

cecelia0613

Hi folks,

I have never cruised from the Port of Galveston and need some information. While we are coming in a day early that day is not an issue with flights. My question relates to flights out the day the cruise returns. I can book a non-stop flight home that departs Houston at 12:55 pm and wanted to know if anyone thinks there might be a problem making that flight. We are traveling with a group and will be booking private transportation.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks,

I have never cruised from the Port of Galveston and need some information. While we are coming in a day early that day is not an issue with flights. My question relates to flights out the day the cruise returns. I can book a non-stop flight home that departs Houston at 12:55 pm and wanted to know if anyone thinks there might be a problem making that flight. We are traveling with a group and will be booking private transportation.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Which airport - IAH (Bush Intercontinental aka the BIG airport) or HOU (Hobby, the one that's mostly Southwest and a few other flights)? HOU is less than an hour from the port, but IAH is usually at least 90 minutes away. So, that time could be OK with HOU, but after 2 PM would be better for IAH.

Hi folks,

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

First of all Galveston can be hit or miss. Sometimes thing go smoothly and other times they do not.

Second, Houston has two airports. The southern one (Hobby) is smaller and not used by as many airlines. The northern one (Bush) is bigger and most of the airlines use Bush. However, it is further from Galveston than Hobby.

If I was flying out of Houston (and I have) 1:00pm is the earliest I would book a flight. So based on that, you should be okay. However, the day I debarked was a nightmare. What saved me what that I booked a cruise sponsored excursion (available to those with flights leaving after 3:00pm if I recall correctly). Since it was a ship sponsored excursion we were given priority (and lots of dirty looks from those standing in line in front of us).

Galveston is not my favorite port to cruise from.

Thanks for the feedback!

The flight would be out of Houston Hobby as it is a Southwest flight. My husband thinks we can make that flight but to be honest with you I am leaning towards booking a Southwest Flight with a stop (no plane change) that leaves a bit later in the day. I'd rather be safe than sorry but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the feedback!

The flight would be out of Houston Hobby as it is a Southwest flight. My husband thinks we can make that flight but to be honest with you I am leaning towards booking a Southwest Flight with a stop (no plane change) that leaves a bit later in the day. I'd rather be safe than sorry but I just thought I'd ask.

From Hobby you are probably okay. But if you feel better taking a later flight, then take the later flight.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Voyager Valentines cruise in February. Due to possible winter weather, we made sure that we flew into Houston (Hobby) the day before. I'm not worried about that. I am now worried about the fog delays that can occur in Galveston in Jan and Feb. Our flights home were scheduled at 1:00 PM which had me worried because of the fog issues I've read about. Well, to make it even more stressful, I got notice today that the schedule has been changed and the flights will now be leaving around noon. I wouldn't be as worried if it was just my wife and I, but there are seven of us traveling together. Does anyone know, does trip insurance cover something like fog delay? If so, I may see if I can purchase it still. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

According to galveston.com

Galveston to Airports

Bush is 54 miles (from island)

Hobby is 31 miles (from island)

At 60-70 miles an hour almost all on freeways........

If it is a weekend

If it is not arrival of repositioning cruise (ship has to be cleared)

If there is not a circumstantial situation

like customs being late

or drug concern on ship

or bad traffic accident

or mother nature

You should be ok with 12:55

We will be on the Voyager Valentines cruise in February. Due to possible winter weather, we made sure that we flew into Houston (Hobby) the day before. I'm not worried about that. I am now worried about the fog delays that can occur in Galveston in Jan and Feb. Our flights home were scheduled at 1:00 PM which had me worried because of the fog issues I've read about. Well, to make it even more stressful, I got notice today that the schedule has been changed and the flights will now be leaving around noon. I wouldn't be as worried if it was just my wife and I, but there are seven of us traveling together. Does anyone know, does trip insurance cover something like fog delay? If so, I may see if I can purchase it still. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If your flights have been changed, then call the airline, tell them the new flight time does not work for you, and ask for a later flight.

According to galveston.com

Galveston to Airports

Bush is 54 miles (from island)

Hobby is 31 miles (from island)

At 60-70 miles an hour almost all on freeways........

If it is a weekend

If it is not arrival of repositioning cruise (ship has to be cleared)

If there is not a circumstantial situation

like customs being late

or drug concern on ship

or bad traffic accident

or mother nature

You should be ok with 12:55

What is there is a traffic accident?

Fog delays that time of year should be your biggest concern. We were on the Feb 14th out of Galveston this year and were delayed for hours...we didn't get back to port until around noon (if I recall correctly). And yes, if there is a major accident then you have another problem. If you don't know all the back ways around then there is only one way in/out to the airport. See if SWA will change to a later flight.

Archived