Hurricane Earl Advisory From HAL

geocruiser

What is 10/3? Where some passengers invited on-board for lunch?

Jade, why don't I have your email? No one was invited on board, but I asked for and was given permission to visit a passenger. Did it a long time ago since they have to have Homeland Security clear us and we needed to give passport info and bring passports with us.

Toad, Sail&seas, innlady1 & RuthC

How did all of you make it through Earl? I hope all of you are fine.

Maria

Thanks for asking. Earl was a big nothing here---not even a good nor'easter. But then, we really weren't expecting it to be. All week, the local weather reports projected Earl to go east and south of us, giving us a tropical storm. Then it went even further east.

Not complaining here!

We had some hard rain early afternoon, preliminary to the projected arrival, but not much after that. There's a stronger breeze today than there was yesterday.

Well the storm took a turn to the east this morning and came ashore south of Halifax instead of along the Fundy coast of New Brunswick, as predicted. Halifax is taking quite a pounding with trees down and thousands without power. The RCMP have blocked access to Peggy's Cove because too many lookie loos were putting themselves in danger.

Charlottetown is also affected with power loses.

The wind just picked up here and the rain is coming down heavier. It just started as I was writing this. We took a drive uptown earlier and there are two tugboats holding the Carnival Glory against the dock. It is quite warm and a lot of the passengers were wandering around in spite of the rain. I saw lots of ponchos with "Canada" all over them. They must be able to pick them up at the pier.

I think we are getting off lightly here in Saint John. I think all the major damage reports will come out of Nova Scotia.

Makes me so sad to hear Halifax and Charlottetown being impacted right now. We just had such wonderful visits at each. It was a gloriously beautiful day when we walked down the Boardwalk in Halifax to have a wonderful lobster for DH and cioppino for me. We sat looking at the water on lovely outdoor veranda.

Two visits to Charlottetown in two weeks and both were picture perfect days..... as were the mussels. We tried two different places this visit and delicious!!! We think the mussels in Charlottetown the best we've ever had anywhere we've traveled.

Hope both places come through safely with no injuries and minimal damage. I hate to think of them being whipped with wind and rain. :(

Hope Saint John continues to 'get off lightly'.

sapper1,

Happy to hear that you are doing OK.

Do you know how Wellington (P.E.I.) area is doing? I have a friend up there.

Thanks,

Maria

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/09/04/pei-tropical-storm-earl.html

Here is a link to the CBC's PEI webpage. You can use it to listen to the CBC radio on PEI as well. They are doing constant coverage.

They just reported that the eye of the storm is now just over PEI. Things are quite bad now over the Bras d'Or Lakes region of Cape Breton.

Here it is nice and sunny---think we will take a walk after supper.

Two visits to Charlottetown in two weeks and both were picture perfect days..... as were the mussels. We tried two different places this visit and delicious!!! We think the mussels in Charlottetown the best we've ever had anywhere we've traveled.

I agree. I think the mussels were the highlight of my vacation! Thank you for the recommendation. I'm so glad I went looking for them.

One person has died in Nova Scotia in an incident related to Hurricane Earl.

Halifax Regional Police said two men made their way at about 2 p.m. AT Saturday to a boat that had slipped its moorings at Blind Bay, about 25 kilometres from downtown Halifax, though it wasn't clear how they reached the boat.

Once the vessel was reattached, one of the men dived into the water to swim back to land but remained under the surface.

Police have identified the man as 54-year-old Johnny Mitchell Jr. from Bayside, N.S.

He was unresponsive when he was brought to shore, police say. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.

Hurricane Earl landed in Lunenburg County as a Category 1 hurricane at about 11:30 a.m. AT, but weakened to a tropical storm as it moved inland, said CBC meteorologist Peter Coade.

Around the time of the accident, winds were gusting at 100 km/h.

Earl brought high winds and heavy rain, knocking out power to more than 200,000 customers as it moved through the Maritimes.

Power outages were reported all around Nova Scotia, from the southwest tip to Cape Breton. About 221,000 homes and businesses were without electricity as of 5 p.m. AT. Some homes may not have their power restored until Monday night.

The provincial Emergency Management Office urged Nova Scotians to remain inside during the storm and stay off the roads. Police said vehicles were hydroplaning on a slick section of Highway 102 in the Halifax area.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/09/04/ns-storm-earl-hits.html#ixzz0ybsnuQcE

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/09/04/ns-storm-earl-hits.html#ixzz0ybsDDa4H

There are still a lot without power, I hope there are not more reports of loss of life...I have friends in Darmouth we have not heard from them yet...but they are a tough lot...

Well the storm took a turn to the east this morning and came ashore south of Halifax instead of along the Fundy coast of New Brunswick, as predicted. Halifax is taking quite a pounding with trees down and thousands without power. The RCMP have blocked access to Peggy's Cove because too many lookie loos were putting themselves in danger.

Charlottetown is also affected with power loses.

The wind just picked up here and the rain is coming down heavier. It just started as I was writing this. We took a drive uptown earlier and there are two tugboats holding the Carnival Glory against the dock. It is quite warm and a lot of the passengers were wandering around in spite of the rain. I saw lots of ponchos with "Canada" all over them. They must be able to pick them up at the pier.

I think we are getting off lightly here in Saint John. I think all the major damage reports will come out of Nova Scotia.

Good to hear you made out ok:).

Archived