Jewel of the Seas or Island Princess for Xmas Cruise?

as41shots

First, a disclaimer. We have never cruised on Princess, but have cruised 5 times on RCCL. Although presently booked on the Explorer for the 14 days out of NJ, we did that cruise last year and thought we'd look at something different.

Jewel OTS on Island Princess have the following itineraries:

Day......Jewel OTS ................# hours .............. Island Princess ........# hours

1...... Ft. Lauderdale........................................ Ft. Lauderdale

2 ......At Sea .................................................At Sea

3 ...... Labadee.............................9 ................At Sea

4......At Sea ..................................................Aruba ............................. 5 1/2

5...... Cartagena, Columbia .............6 ................Cartagena, Columbia ............6

6......Colon, Panama ................... 10 ................Panama Canal, Panama .......10

....................................................................Colon, Panama ................... 3

7......Puerto Limon, Costa Rica........12 ................ Puerto Limon, Costa Rica....... 11

8......At Sea ....................................................At Sea

9......Georgetown, Grand Cayman.....10................ Ocho Rios ..........................7

10......At Sea ...................................................At Sea

11...... Ft. Lauderdale .........................................Ft. Lauderdale

Anyone with experience on both of these fine vessels? Thoughts on the very slight variations in itineraries? I'll cross post on the Princess board. Thanks!

I am not 100% sure, but from looking at the itinerary I don't think the Royal Caribbean ship actually enters the Panama Canal? If that is the case, then hands down, no question without a doubt I would go with the Island Princess. To do a Panama Canal cruise, even a partial transit as the Island does is very, very interesting-even if Royal Caribbean promises that you can take a boat into the locks as a shore excursion, it will not be anywhere close to the same as doing it on your cruise ship. And the Island is a fabulous ship as well.

Hey Pescado!

Great to hear from you---we leave this Friday for London pre-cruise (via JFK...ugh...just where Earl seems to be heading) then onto Athens where we embark on the Ocean Princess for 14 days...our first experience on a Princess small ship! Hope all is well with you--hope to see you on a future cruise sometime (are you cruising in early Feb 2011? We are just starting to look for something that time period).

Carole

This is a no-brainer. While I've heard that Jewel of the Seas is a fabulous ship, the fact that she doesn't enter the Panama Canal herself is the deciding factor here. Making a transit through the locks on the ship that you're cruising on (even a partial transit) makes the Island Princess cruise much more worthwhile IMHO. You can also book an excursion on a smaller boat that will give you a closer look at the Canal too. I do find it sad that RCCL is not doing partial transits anymore.

We did the partial on the Coral Princess (sister to Island) and loved it. We were on the ship going through the locks and watched her as she went out the locks to Colon where our tour ended. We disembarked while ship was in Gatun Lake for the turnaround to do the tour of the locks and other areas. It's truly awesome. Also, I like the Princess ports better than RCL's plus you get an extra sea day to relax.

Thanks for all of the comments. Pulled the trigger and booked the Island Princess. You have no idea how difficult it was to hit the "Cancel This Cruise" button on the Royal Caribbean web page. :eek:

Should be great. Now on to the airfare hunt.

Thanks for all of the comments. Pulled the trigger and booked the Island Princess. You have no idea how difficult it was to hit the "Cancel This Cruise" button on the Royal Caribbean web page. :eek:

Should be great. Now on to the airfare hunt.

I'll introduce us on the roll call

Great! We'll be on the Island with you. I started tracking prices of nine different Christmas cruises back in early July. A few of them did not work out with my DH's vacation dates. Then price became the big determining factor--a lot cheaper on the Island than on the Jewel.

Great! We'll be on the Island with you. I started tracking prices of nine different Christmas cruises back in early July. A few of them did not work out with my DH's vacation dates. Then price became the big determining factor--a lot cheaper on the Island than on the Jewel.

My sister is going on the Jewel cruise that departs 12/24/10 (I think). Same length, same basic itinerary. She is paying about $500 more for a balcony D2 and an inside than I am paying for two mini-suites Cat. AD/guarantee. To get two Jr. Suites on the Jewel on that cruise would cost me more than double what I am paying on the Island Princess for the two minis.

I know the cabin size on the Jewel Jr. Suites is around 50 sq' larger, and you are getting both Xmas and NYE instead of just Xmas, but paying twice the price can't be justified in my mind.

Oh, and are you on the Roll Call for the cruise?

We have been planning this Panama Canal trip for six years. The last three with serious research.

The Jewel was on the list with very few others. It got nixed when we confirmed it did not go through the locks.:( We loved the Jewel three years ago, it is a beautiful ship.

If you are going to spend the money (unless price is no object) I would want to go through the Gatun Locks on the "BIG BOAT". I did not want to spend another $120.00 per person to visit the canal on an excursion even though I have read they are wonderful.

We chose the Coral in January of 2011. It will be my second time for this basic trip with other one on the Tropical. The cruise is excellent.

For me (and our group) it is hands down take the Island to go through the locks. Then if you want to take an additional excursion to replace the return trip through the locks you have that option.

I can't wait till we leave.

Archived