Disappointed in Oceania

libertyman

We had all 6 of our reservations canceled/fell out of the system/WHATEVER on our cruise to Norway beginning 23 July. We wondered why we didn't receive a card on our door but showed up at Polo at the time shown on our invoice and were told that we held no resas in the system....period. Hmm, that's odd......here's proof of the resas we made online prior to our cruise. We were taken care of by Carlos with profuse apologies and a bottle of wine and a tray of sweets sent to our cabin. Still, how did the cancellation of resas made several months in advance happen? And now it sounds like our situation has occurred again.

We found the food on our July/August back to back on Insignia did not measure up to the food on we enjoyed when we were on Nautica in March/April. We were disappointed with the noise level in the specialty restos as well. Really hard to have that intimate dinner experience. The GDR service was chaotic and the food mediocre the few times we ate there. The food in Tapas/Terrace was wonderful and the service personal and fun.....go figure as that is the buffet dining venue.

Re rude people. Well, we too encountered some folks who pushed themselves ahead of everyone else and trod on feet to accomplish being close to the start of line. We aren't sure what to make of that phenomenon. We didn't experience that type of behavior when we were on our 39 day cruise in March/April. Doubt that it is limited to only O cruises but it was noteworthy to us on this cruise.

RE Laundry: Well, after our experiences on Nautica, we decided that we were NOT going to use the launderette on Insignia. We did what laundry we could in our sink and sent out the big stuff to the laundry. Our total bill for 30 days was less than $60 and we were pleased with the quality and care of our clothing. We did have complimentary pressing for the first 4 garments on each cruise. Because of weight restrictions, we are packing WAAAAAY less and need laundry services Waaaaaaay more. Thank you O for your more relaxed dress code.....!

Re balderdash comment, the ability to afford to send out laundry comment (Ouch!), etc: We didn't think the OP was being overly negative nor overstating his/her experiences nor did the OP have unreasonable expectations. T

Our on board experience in July/August was not as good as our first O experience in March/April. We are glad to learn that Insignia is going to be refurbished soon because it is looking rather tired at the moment. Flame us if you need to....we're just stating our opinion relating to our personal experiences. We'll cruise again with O because of their great itineraries, relaxed dress code and friendly service. We know that each cruise is different and what we find on one cruise,we might not find on the next one......both the good and the not so good.

I was also on the Copenhagen to Lisbon cruise. I agree with the OP's comments regarding beef. In all dining venues I found the meat to be tough and overly fatty. Registering a complaint on same, I hoped that the quality problem to be a one time occurance rather than an accounting decision to lower food costs. I must say that fortunately we didn't encounter the other problems noted. We had several additional nights in the specialty restaurants and were delighted with the number of ports that provided transport to the centre of the town.

I was also on the Copenhagen to Lisbon cruise. I agree with the OP's comments regarding beef. In all dining venues I found the meat to be tough and overly fatty. Registering a complaint on same, I hoped that the quality problem to be a one time occurrence rather than an accounting decision to lower food costs. I must say that fortunately we didn't encounter the other problems noted. We had several additional nights in the specialty restaurants and were delighted with the number of ports that provided transport to the centre of the town.

I am sure the beef is a supply issue. You are not going to get American Beef in Europe. I have never had a good steak in Europe. If it is not local its from Argentina -- which means tough.

Just curious where was the 2nd laundry room?

I always thought the 3 ships were identical :confused:

If it was free then it was a well kept secret

I may very well be confusing the multiple laundry rooms with Silversea. We've taken 3 Silversea and 3 Oceania trips in the last five years.

We had all 6 of our reservations canceled/fell out of the system/WHATEVER on our cruise to Norway beginning 23 July.

Ours also disappeared for the Jul 23 rd cruise ..they must have just cleared the system on turn around day

Fortunately Carlos had called us to make our reservations .... on the way to Muster drill we saw him and he kindly re-booked us.

Lyn

With all the talk about laundry room issues, I decided to gather some facts from Oceania. It is true that the laundry room is open from 7am-10pm. They quoted me $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. I did not ask about the cost of detergent.

I also asked about the cost of them doing the laundry. T-shirts and undergarments are $1.50 per item. A pair of sox is $1.00. To launder a shirt $2.50. Slacks $3.50. Dry cleaning slacks and pressing $4.50.

I already pay to $1.80 at home to have my shirts done. I pay at least as much for slacks as Oceania charges. And when I do laundry at home there is the hidden cost of electricity. Drying a load of clothes is not free. I bet it is at least 75 cents.

Since my numbers do not match the OP's report on prices I will figure in some slack for inaccuracy in what I heard from Oceania. I don't know who to believe until I verify. I will also figure in two hours of my time minimum (time to get the tokens from the desk, wait to get two machines and then two driers, and then fold and hang).

Anyway after looking at the facts, I will gladly pay the extra 30 or 40 dollars for someone else to do my laundry.:D

I hope this helps others chose what to do.

Mark

With all the talk about laundry room issues, I decided to gather some facts from Oceania. It is true that the laundry room is open from 7am-10pm. They quoted me $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. I did not ask about the cost of detergent.

Mark

The price has gone up

It is now $2. per wash or dry ..tokens available from reception

laundry soap is included but not dryer sheets if you use them

I can't believe anybody cares about or judges me for doing a load of laundry, but it isn't about being cheap. Some of us (my wife included) don't want a stranger washing our undergarments.

I had the cruise ship launder and press our shirts/blouses/slacks/skirts and used the laundry facilities to wash underwear/t-shirts/tank tops/bathings suits/bras, etc. We were traveling for 25 days, with 14 of those days being on board the ship. Two loads of undies worked out great.

I can't believe anybody cares about or judges me for doing a load of laundry, but it isn't about being cheap. Some of us (my wife included) don't want a stranger washing our undergarments.

I had the cruise ship launder and press our shirts/blouses/slacks/skirts and used the laundry facilities to wash underwear/t-shirts/tank tops/bathings suits/bras, etc. We were traveling for 25 days, with 14 of those days being on board the ship. Two loads of undies worked out great.

I don't think anyone is "judging you." For many of us, cruise time is so precious and the cost of having O do the laundry (I handwash my undergarments) relatively minimal, that we would not consider traipsing down to the laundry room, hoping the machines are free, running back before someone else takes out the load, hoping the dryer is available etc. On our Mediterranean cruise, I sent my laundry out and relaxed while it was done. The two couples we travelled with did their own - and oh the stories they told of people hogging, pushing ahead, removing their laundry from the dryer while it was still damp, waiting for machines- LOL -- they agree, never again.

I understand the issue with going on a long cruise and keeping within airline luggage restrictions and the need to either do laundry or have one's laundry done...'

We just returned a little over a month ago from a Baltic cruise--that became a 27-day affair with pre- and post-cruise visits added on...

We were on Celebrity Eclipse--which, happily, has NO self-service laundry...

No problem...when one does not even have the choice, on does not think about it...

Twice, we sent loads of laundry out to be done...We left the bag of laundry in the cabin and the cabin steward carted it off...the following day each time, we had returned to us all of the items we sent out, washed and neatly folded...I don't care if they see my underwear...

Anyway, it was a pleasure...We didn't have to do ANY of the work...and that is why I go on vacation...

Frankly, the cost is secondary...so what if I pay less for my dry cleaners back home (and I don't--it's expensive in my neighborhood...One couple we know sent ALL of their clothes to the ship's laundry service just before the end of the cruise so they could just go home with a suitcase full of clean clothes...

Our cruise was very port intensive...We were touring long hours most days...and we value those breaks on "at sea" days and don't want to be doing work those days!

But, I can understand someone wanting to do their own laundry...and not minding dealing with the hassle of doing it under the confines of a ship's laundromat...I just cannot understand a few dollars making any sort of difference...

As I said earlier, they COULD make it FREE...and just raise the cruise fares...Remember...NOTHING IS EVER FREE...You pay for it one way or the other...

Well I guess there are people who do not mind doing laundry if the room is always busy

I do not care, it really does not take that long to do a load once a week and I can pack 1 bag each that way.

I did 4 loads during our 33 days away. Plus sent out a couple of items to the ship's laundry.

Timing is everything when it comes to the laundry rooms ;)

Everyone has their priorities in life :D:D

Lyn

I don't understand the conversations about laundry costs on a cruise.

You spend thousands of dollars on the trip to enjoy precious days visiting unique places, getting waited on hand and foot with gourmet cuisine and fine wines, etc, etc, yet, when it comes to the few dollars that it costs to launder our clothes, there is a heated debate on these pages.

Get a life people!!!:eek::eek::eek:

The cost of getting foreign currency via ATM depends on your bank. Mine is very cost-effective.

I withdrew 300 euros mid month at a French ATM, and according to my most recent bank statement, the withdrawal came to $383.91.

The same withdrawal from the Oceania front desk would have come to $434.70 ($0.10 per euro padded rate + 5%).

I tagged the expensive exchange rate to my original post because a lot of people apparently don't know not to get cash from a ship. I spent a lot of time (500 minutes...) near the front desk trying to get my email to download on my computer (that's where the strongest signal was) and watched many passengers get hosed.

I tagged the expensive exchange rate to my original post because a lot of people apparently don't know not to get cash from a ship. I spent a lot of time (500 minutes...) near the front desk trying to get my email to download on my computer (that's where the strongest signal was) and watched many passengers get hosed.

"Passengers getting 'hosed' "

That's pretty strong! You are implying that the ship charges a conversion rate that is out of line. It is so common, especially overseas, for non-banking outlets, such as hotels, restaurants and so on, to charge much more than "bank rate" for taking or changing one currency to another.

But to imply "Getting Hosed" - that's out of line!

Perhaps I might not be so perplexed if I came across your earlier review in which the laundry was free and available, the internet was fast and inexpensive, to food was perfect, the Signature dishes varied each night, the string quartet played music you like, and the cruise was therefore entirely to your liking.

Don, I am sure you are probably tired of people 'gushing over your comments', but I can't help it! Explanations like this are the reason I LOVE to read your posts!

Judy:D

I don't understand the conversations about laundry costs on a cruise.

You spend thousands of dollars on the trip to enjoy precious days visiting unique places, getting waited on hand and foot with gourmet cuisine and fine wines, etc, etc, yet, when it comes to the few dollars that it costs to launder our clothes, there is a heated debate on these pages.

Get a life people!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I so agree! If you look hard enough, you can always find something to complain about. That is true in all areas of life, but why do that???

:confused::confused::confused:

I so agree! If you look hard enough, you can always find something to complain about. That is true in all areas of life, but why do that???

:confused::confused::confused:

I posted a review of a cruise I just completed. It's my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I tried to be honest in what I experienced. Perhaps the site should change it's name to cruisepraisers.com and dumb dumbs like me won't bother to post our opinions if a cruiseline falls short of previous experience.

I posted a review of a cruise I just completed. It's my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I tried to be honest in what I experienced. Perhaps the site should change it's name to cruisepraisers.com and dumb dumbs like me won't bother to post our opinions if a cruiseline falls short of previous experience.

Saw that you NEVER posted your positive opinions about your past Oceania cruises.:confused:

Actually, you felt the need to vent, but it was probably the deliverance of the complaints rather than the complaint(s) itself. I have been guilty of the same without any intent to offend the OP. There are many of us who prefer Oceania and understand that ocassionally there will be an upset. If you have bought Ford's all your life, you are going to defend it against Chevrolet. Same thing here so this is why you get an argument out of so many. You were so upset you forgot you were talking about another cruiseline that provided free laundry. I joined cruise critic in 2004 and did my research for my first Oceania cruise in 2006 so I knew going in what to expect on some of the weaker points such as internet. Everyone was right that it was the slowest and expensive. Oceania's good points outweigh the not so good. As most have pointed out is you pay more with Silverseas which includes shuttles, laundry, water, sodas. Oceania doesn't always work for everyone, but it works for me and I hope you give them another chance. :)

Archived