Debarking at a port other than the standard end port

superdrews

I was thinking about taking the RCCL cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Panama, but exiting the ship the night before the official debarkation in Costa Rica. Has anyone done something like this before? It would be a cheap way to get there $199 cruise, and then I was planning on backpacking around Costa Rica for a bit. Is it better if I just don't say anything and take everything off with me, or should I let them know?

I would definitely call the ship either when in Costa Rica to let them know you are not returning or talk with the cruiseline ahead of time. I would not just walk away without any warning. Check with Costa Rica as well regarding visitors.

I was thinking about taking the RCCL cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Panama, but exiting the ship the night before the official debarkation in Costa Rica. Has anyone done something like this before? It would be a cheap way to get there $199 cruise, and then I was planning on backpacking around Costa Rica for a bit. Is it better if I just don't say anything and take everything off with me, or should I let them know?

You should just contact the cruise line now to find out if this will be OK and how this will be noted in your shipboard records.

Keith

I second the vote to call RCCL. I know it is a possibility (not sure if it depends on country / port) as I asked to do something like this before..ended up changing my plans completely..but there are some ports you can exit the ship from but the cruise line needs to know in advance and make some sort of special arrangements t oallow.

Yes, you can do what you are planning, as long as you inform the cruise line in advance. The cruise line is not going to be very happy if you just walk off without notifying the cruise line (the security at the gangplank is going to notice that you have your luggage with you).

It sounds like a fun way to get to Costa Rica. Are you going alone? If so, you will have to pay the single supplement (probably double fare). You do need to check this out in advance. I would expect that you will need to clear Costa Rican immigrations which does not normally check passengers getting off the ship for a day.

You WILL need to inform RCCL before you board. You will also need to be prepared to go the Immigration to be allowed into Costa Rica.

Generally speaking, US citizens are allowed to stay up to 90 days, as long as you show a return ticket back to the US.

Check out http://travel.state.gov for the latest information as to entry requirements.

Aloha,

John

Most likely his arms would get tired before he got there.

Yep! OP is not a native Macaw! Just looking for a cheap trip (which won't be cheap at all, flying back to the US!)

Yes. Spent some great times in Costa Rica! But we flew into San Jose and rented a car for a couple of weeks. If interested, MARENCO ) on the Osa Peninsula) is a wonderful Biological Station. Also spent time at Arenal and Tamarindo.

Archived