How to be offered an upgrade/upsell?

debolinas

Hello,

What is the best way to go about being offered an upgrade or upsell if you booked through a travel agent? Do these offers come directly from HAL or do they come through the travel agent? We are booked for a VE and I would love to have the option to upgrade down the line if it is not too costly.

Thanks,

Deborah

There's no absolute "this always works" answer. Some of us have never been offered upgrades or even up sells while others have had fantastic luck and good fortune and have been upgraded or offered reasonable up sells frequently. It seems to be that the lower the category you initially book the better the chances of being moved or offered a higher cabin category which makes sense since there are more upgrade opportunities. These chances seem to increase if you've booked a guarantee rather than picking a specific cabin. The last piece would be that you indicate to your TA or HAL that you would be interested in an upgrade or up sell. This is a little bit of a gray area as my understanding is that all bookings are eligible and considered for upgrade/up sell unless the passenger indicates they're not interested in either when they make their initial booking. Even then I think I've seen CC'er post that they were offered upgrades or up sells even if they had indicated no interest.

Another thing you could do if you are willing to pay for an upsell is to watch the HAL web site for 3-day sales or other special offers. If you see one that you like and are willing to pay the extra for, you could alert your TA to help get the upsell. I think there is even a button on the HAL website where you could sign up for email alerts about special offers.

Dave

I advised my TA that I was interested in an upsell to a verandah if the price was right. When I booked the cruise, the difference between the price of an outside room to a verandah room was too pricey for me. Yesterday, I received a call from my TA advising me that she received an e-mail from HAL that an upsell was available. Since the price difference was reasonable, I happily took the upsell. My cruise is on Sept. 18.

I thought I had "it" figured out too....until I booked a specific cabin (wanted midship for seasickness reasons) AND marked "no upgrade" on the reservation. About two weeks (or so) before the cruise, I was offered an upgrade (had to pay, but at a much, much reduced rate). Sooooo.....now I believe there is no rhyme nor reason also :D .... HAL just starts offering :D I think the only thing the "no upgrade" checked did for me was it wasn't going to be "automatic"....that's my "story" :D

on Carnival and was offered a balcony cabin in place of her inside at the same price. It had something to do with the TA booking a lot of cabins on that cruise and by selecting this person, she now gets all her bookings in a balcony cabin. I would love to be offered a deluxe ablcony or higher in place of my standard booking at a reasonable upcharge but not $1000 pp.We always select our cabin when booking, mostly Aft if available.

If you are taking a cruise that is a combination of several cruises together then you go to the top of the list...

Also if you book cheaper cabins tostart... and they know they can sell you more then you are a prospect if the ship dosent fill... which then dont these days

I was told bu a ship staff that the profit centers were the up selling of cabins and the liquor..... His comment was get the chepest cabin and spend your dough outside it......;)

Archived