Anyone try Skechers Shape Ups

kiraryker

I received Sketchers Shape Ups for Christmas '09. I loved them right from the start. The first thing I noticed is how cushy and soft they are compared to regular walking shoes. I did exchange the ones received for a half size bigger than I usually wear just to have more room in the toe area. My husband is on his second pair as he wore the first pair out. We both walk every day for about an hour and have noticed they seem to have helped tone up the back of the thigh and calf area. Maybe you can try them in the store and walk around for a few minutes to see if they are for you. Famous Footwear just had a sale on them last month where my hubby got his second pair.

I don't have the Sketchers - just personal taste - I don't like the Sketchers look in general but I do own a pair of the New Balance shaping sneakers. I have also owned numerous pais of Fitflops (the UK brand that started the whole shoe toner trend) for a couple of years now.

Honestly, I never bought any of these pairs of "toning" shoes to tone - I got the Fitflops a few summers ago because my mother and mother in law raved about them. I had some knee issues and they are all extremely cushion-y/padded so when the toning sneakers came out I did research and chose the new balance. They are great for my long walks to and from work but they don't really tone more.

I will say this though - I do feel a tightening in the back of my thighs/butt occassionally, and it almost engages my muscles in the same way walking quickly in sand would which means that there is some type of technology that makes your feet feel unbalanced, which in theory would engage your legs/butt/core muscles, thus toning them. I guess it would also depending on how much/how little toning you would need?

I have a pair of the Sketchers XFs. They are the "extended wear" version of the ShapeUps, meant for everyday wear. The buildup of the sole isn't as high as the original ShapeUps. I do like the way they feel - kind of springy and a little wobbly. I wear them all day long at work and when I walk the dog. No problems with them. And, they don't look quite as dorky as the higher sole exercise shoes offered.

I wear them to work-12 hour shifts mostly on my feet.It's more comfortable than Dansko clogs that I used for ages.I don't see any difference in my buttocks or calf area and I had them since March.My feet thank me for comfort,I have an all black one so you can't really see how unattractive it is.But it you really want to get it-sports authority is selling it for 80 bucks.Good deal.

I wish I could remember exactly what I read somewhere but in essence, it said although they might be comfy they don't tone the legs. I did, however, find this and there are more articles that dispute claims of toning.

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/08/sketchers.html

Another article said just to walk longer and more often in any comfortable shoe for any toning so IMO, they are not worth the expense. ;)

I work as an RN in a large hospital so I do a lot of walking at work. I bought a pair in March, they are very comfortable and feel "springy" as I walk but I don't think they do much toning. The ads say you can workout without going to a gym and that is not true:D. However, I run 4 to 6 miles everyday and lift weights so I have pretty muscular legs to start with, perhaps I would have noticed a change if not.

Have seen them advertised for as low as $60 on sale. I agree with the other poster who said she needed a larger size than she usually wears, I think they run small.

Sherri:)

I bought the Champion brand of toning sneakers and sandals, and I have to admit that I did feel the toning effects. However, I also began to suffer back and leg nerve pain, and after XRays and Dr's visits, it was determined that I had a bulging disc between L3 and L4, that was caused by the Toning shoes. The ortho doctor said that he is seeing more and more of these cases every day with patients who wear toning shoes.

I bought the Champion brand of toning sneakers and sandals, and I have to admit that I did feel the toning effects. However, I also began to suffer back and leg nerve pain, and after XRays and Dr's visits, it was determined that I had a bulging disc between L3 and L4, that was caused by the Toning shoes. The ortho doctor said that he is seeing more and more of these cases every day with patients who wear toning shoes.

That's scarey! I bought the Danskin version (cheaper!) and found them comfortable for walking, but almost impossible to stand still without swaying!

Wow... if I'm risking back problems, I'll stop wearing them!!

I just bought the new Shape-Ups that look like MaryJanes (from Nordstroms during their sale with 20% off).

Mine are gray/stone and are actually decent looking. I've only had them less than 2 weeks and I've done a lot of extended mall-walking and errand-running in them. They are really cushiony and comfortable. I've felt a little toning in the back of my thighs, my calves and butt. Time will tell if I actually see muscular changes.

• 1 month later...

I have the XFDASH gaucho that I love. I recently had some heart issues and began a walking regieme. I can tell you that for the first couple of weeks, I could feel the pull of the muscles in my calf, thighs and buttocks. Could just be the exercise, but the muscles are fine now. They work equally well on the treadmill or outside. I have had no issues with balance or gait.

I might add that my 40 year old daughter took hers on a 14 day Med cruise. She wore them every shore excursion. Said that although she woud be very tired at the end of the day, her legs and feet felt fine and she was ready to dance all night!

I did buy the Sketcher FX's and I LOVE THEM!!! And I have horrible feet - I even wore them when I helped at a factory and stood on my feet for 12hrs straight for 1 week straight and my feet had no issues!!!! They are like clouds for my feet. So yes they comfort of these shoes are well worth it even if they dont shape my back side.

• 5 months later...
Has anyone noticed any real difference in the shape of your legs/butt? That's the whole point of those "toning" shoes....at least, according to the ads!

Yep...legs are tighter, and butt has regained a more rounded shape. I have the sneakers, Mary Jane style in black, and just got the Dash sandals. I love my shape ups!

I walk a lot for excercise and have always spent money for good shoes so the price for the Sketchers is not any different to me. I had a lot of foot trouble with plantar facitis, but since I started wearing the Sketchers I haven't had any pain. I haven't noticed any extra toning but my feet sure are happier.

Never had the Sketchers and never will.

I used to own some Earth shoes-with a negative heel. I ended up with severe tendonitis in my foot. It has been over a year since I realized what it was from and stopped wearing them, and I still have pain at times.

I have the Reebok Runtone shoes that are meant for running. These shoes are really comfortable and do NOT look like a sort of orthopedic shoe. THey essentially are regular running shoes with instability air pods in them. Your leg and butt muscles have to compensate for the instability, thus causing them to work more. I don't notice it harder to run while running, but I do notice the effects the next day. It's much harder to run great lengths two days in a row because my legs are still fatigued.

I have the Sketchers shape ups, and they are the most comfortable shoe ever, I could walk for hours and my feet do not hurt at all. I also have the New Balance tone shoes which I love also comfy and I really do think both help a little with toning, if not they help you burn more calories becuase you can walk more in them because they are so comfy:p I also have the fitflops which I love for the warmer months I tried walking in regular flipflops and the bottom of my feet would end up hurting after a long walk go these last summer and same as the shape ups I could walk for hours in them with no issues, in fact I'm taking them on my cruise in July, I love them.

Tanya

Is it really the shoes or are you exercising more and that is giving you the toning and muscle soreness?

Be careful of using these types of shoes because for some it can actually throw your normal gait off and put stress on your hips and back young or old. Most important thing is that you are exercising! New balance and Asics for me. Arch support and over pronation (side support) are important too.

I have the Reebok easy-tone shoes and they are AWESOME. They look like regular sneakers not those gaudy shape ups. Very comfortable, easy to walk, run, work out....anything in them. I definitely feel a difference when I walk and even more when I am at the gym. Noticed a nice difference in my legs and butt. Highly reccomend them. And of course I love them because I got my at a Black Friday pice :)

• 2 months later...

Try those. They are proven to be 30% more effective than sketchers and look like normal sneakers. Best shoes ever. I wear them everywhere and I saw a difference after a week. They are super comfortable too.

EasyTones are for when you do a lot of walking, RunTones are designed more for people who walk/jog daily which I have and I won't ever buy another sneaker unless they come up with one that works even better!

Archived