Private Sail in St. Thomas

SraLiz

We are thinking about sailing with the Jolly Mon next week. Have you sailed with them?

If so,

1. What did you think?

2. Did you see turtles?

3. I have two children ages 5 & 9 do you think this would be appropriate?

4. Any other comments please share.

Sorry just saw this...

Yes I sailed with Gail and Sara. Sara's great with snorkeling. We saw turtles and rays and tons of different fish. You need to contact Gail quickly. She responsive and if available will give you her cell number for you to call when you arrive. You'll see the Jolly Mon moored right by the dock. Can't answer about children but if they can swim, and she allows children, all will wear life vests and they'll love it. Do a full day if you can so she can sail the boat without the motor and you can visit a couple of different snorkeling areas.

Enjoy your Dream cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking about sailing with the Jolly Mon next week. Have you sailed with them?

If so,

1. What did you think?

2. Did you see turtles?

3. I have two children ages 5 & 9 do you think this would be appropriate?

4. Any other comments please share.

How was the day sail?

Their website is down which makes me suspicious.

We've sailed the Rumbaba twice and one of the other boats mentioned above once. The Rumbaba trips were far better, but if they were unavailable I'd do the other boat.

We've booked Rumbaba once as a group of 6 and once as just a couple and the latter time they filled the boat with two other couples who booked independently.

On both trips they sailed (as opposed to motoring) at all times except when anchoring - I'd say the sails were up and motor off at least 90% of the time.

The first trip went to a cove on St. John which I think is their usual location and the second trip was headed that way and Captain Bobby determined the currents indicated that the location off St. Johan would not have great conditions and he picked a different spot off a small out Island closer to St. Thomas that was great. At the beginning of each trip he asked us what our preferences were and was perfectly willing to modify the day's sailing to meet any desires of the group. He does this again during the day giving the option of a second snorkeling spot, scenic sailing time, or just staying at the first spot longer.

The food on his excursion isn't just good - it is some of the best seafood I've ever had anyplace. He has a small grill on the boat and cooks everything fresh. Our friends indicated their steak and chicken was excellent as well.

Photos of our trips can be seen here and here.

I'd highly recommend any of these small day sails, with my first choice being the Rumbaba. I also think that if any of these day sails are not available I'd go with the recommendation of the Captain for a different operator. Frankly, I think most of these probably offer a similarly great day and the biggest difference just might be the food and drinks served.

We went with Simplicity charter and were very pleased we chose to sail with Captain Charlie and Josh. The day exceeded my expectations.

Charlie and Josh deliver a great experience. They are experienced sailors and placed me completely at ease even though I had never sailed before and was slightly apprehensive being on a sail boat. The sailing vessel is well maintained and very comfortable for a day sail. We were a party of 4 and had the boat to ourselves. Josh snorkled with us and pointed out the different sea life around us. They took us to a great spot on St. John which we had to ourselves. We really enjoyed the experience and highly recommend Simplicity Charters.

Paula

again- ditto what paula said- been on simplicity twice and will book again when we are returning to st thomas- cant take a chance another charter would not measure up to the wonderful times we have had thus far with them ;)

We've sailed the Rumbaba twice and one of the other boats mentioned above once. The Rumbaba trips were far better, but if they were unavailable I'd do the other boat.

We've booked Rumbaba once as a group of 6 and once as just a couple and the latter time they filled the boat with two other couples who booked independently.

On both trips they sailed (as opposed to motoring) at all times except when anchoring - I'd say the sails were up and motor off at least 90% of the time.

The first trip went to a cove on St. John which I think is their usual location and the second trip was headed that way and Captain Bobby determined the currents indicated that the location off St. Johan would not have great conditions and he picked a different spot off a small out Island closer to St. Thomas that was great. At the beginning of each trip he asked us what our preferences were and was perfectly willing to modify the day's sailing to meet any desires of the group. He does this again during the day giving the option of a second snorkeling spot, scenic sailing time, or just staying at the first spot longer.

The food on his excursion isn't just good - it is some of the best seafood I've ever had anyplace. He has a small grill on the boat and cooks everything fresh. Our friends indicated their steak and chicken was excellent as well.

Photos of our trips can be seen here and here.

I'd highly recommend any of these small day sails, with my first choice being the Rumbaba. I also think that if any of these day sails are not available I'd go with the recommendation of the Captain for a different operator. Frankly, I think most of these probably offer a similarly great day and the biggest difference just might be the food and drinks served.

Larry

Rumbaba sounds great but there are two reports recently of him just not showing up at Red Hook with no notification. (See post #22 above for one of them) Makes me nervous. The Winifred seems to have new owners. Did you sail with Chelsie and Kenny or the previous owner?

Larry

Rumbaba sounds great but there are two reports recently of him just not showing up at Red Hook with no notification. (See post #22 above for one of them) Makes me nervous. The Winifred seems to have new owners. Did you sail with Chelsie and Kenny or the previous owner?

Prior owner - and we had a very nice cruise on Winifred, one I'd repeat if there were not more attractive options. Just thought the Rumbaba was much nicer. Despite the post above, I enjoyed our Rumbaba trips so much that if we were doing a day sail again in St. Thomas (probably would depending on other cruise itinerary stops) we'd use him again. I might also try one of the other boats I've read great reviews on before re-hiring the Winifred. Might depend on the menu. To me having a nice seafood lunch is a big plus on this type of cruise, others might prefer a salad.

• 1 month later...

Here's the thing about daysails in STT. You can be picked up at the dock and stay near Buck Island area, or go in a taxi to Red Hook area (east end of the island) and sail toward St. John, which I prefer.

We did sail Jolly Mon last time since our itin changed and we would only be there 1/2 day, and it was a very nice sail, seeing lots of turtles and a sting ray.

I do prefer the full daysail though and we usually go with Pat on her 44' sailboat Independence. And we do SAIL--I know, I do not like motoring when I'm on a sailboat! She will sail more or anchor more, depending on what the six passengers prefer. Always a great sail with her. http://www.independence44.us/

Not sure what we'll do next time since we have more than six people!

...Not sure what we'll do next time since we have more than six people!

All the six-pack Captains advertise that for groups larger than 6 they can arrange tandem cruises which meet together for snorkeling, lunch and/or beach time.

I think in reading over some of these posts I've seen some about a couple of these boats that are large enough, and have the Coast Guard certifications, to do groups larger than 6 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Did the Rumbaba, it was great!

We did Rumbaba several years ago (2008). While we had an overall enjoyable time I cannot recommend them for everyone. I am 'fluffy' and have arthritis in my knee and hip, yet active. I have gone on many snorkeling boat excursions over the years without difficulty. On the Rumbaba, when we went, we had to access the boat via a small, inflatable tender. Once we arrived at the boat he only had a rope type ladder for access that did not give much support. It was very difficult for me. When we returned to the dock at the end of the excursion the tide had gone out and we had to climb up the side of the stationary dock using the supports under the dock as a ladder. Bobby showed me how to put my foot on the supports and then took off in the tender leaving me hanging on the side of the dock alone! Thankfully two of our friends had already climbed up the dock and were able to hoist me up and over the side. There was nothing to hang onto at the top so I needed a lot of assistance. Believe me, more than my pride was bruised! I would never go with them again!:mad:

If you have any mobility issues do not go with Captain Bobby! He said he has had "grannies with walkers" on his boat. Maybe......but then they are better than I! BTW - I did ask him about his ladder and access prior to the daysail and he said I would have no problem, so now I am much more specific and want to see a picture of the ladder prior to committing to a sail & snorkel excursion. Also, I do not see why he could not have gone over to a floating dock to allow easier access from his tender to the dock. That was horrible. I have never, in many sailing trips, ever had to do anything like that before. No one with ANY mobility issues would have been able to do that climb, especially with bad knees.

But do any of these charters ACTUALLY PUT THE SAILS UP AND SAIL? Have been on a couple of these type charters on other cruises and they usually only sail for a few minutes or not at all. We are sailors ourselves (have a 37' at home) and want to sail. Any on of these charterers better at that than the other?

The Rumbaba did do a full sail except for motoring in and out of harbor. The sailing part of our charter was very enjoyable.

I have grown up sailing in and around the USVI, sailed night sails, spent time at Sailing Camp in the Caribbean http://www.sailcaribbean.com/, have 4 years collegiate competitive sailing under my belt, and still race almost every Wednesday and most weekends May-Oct So I am pretty picky when it comes to day sailing.

In 2008 my wife and I were on St. Thomas for a week and we decided to day sail with Winnifred. I had known the boat from my years younger and have seen many come and go over the years, Winifred has stayed around. We lucked out? that it was only the two of us on the boat along with Captain Sharon and Captain Mike who had recently purchased Winifred and was learning the ropes, and a mate. As a sailor, I know when I can "jump in" and when to keep quiet. The only problem was that I felt with Sharon that were treated like two shlubs who hadn't been on a boat before. We ran into a squall, which are common and uusally pass quickly. Sharon insisted we put on rain gear, which smelled like it was stored in the bilge. On the sail back she told us to go sit up front and we felt as if she was trying to get us as far away as possible so she didn't have to be hospitable. We walked off less than satisfied.

Last year we were there with my in-laws. Instead of typing out all of the info again please click the link that describes our day on Rumbaba in pretty good detail. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=954367&page=2&highlight=rumbaba

The best part was that my in-laws were impressed, which is not so easy to do always :D

Our next trip is scheduled for Late May/early June 2011 and I have been thinking of trying Coconut http://www.daydreamervi.com/our-boats.htm. I have a history with the boat, tought she was long gone, and is back sailing the USVI again.

Scott

I have emailed JollyMon twice with no response.

A couple years ago we and another couple had a great sail/snorkle day with highpockets. Fantastic lady captain and wonderful meal cooked on board.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I've seenr ecent reports on these threads that since the tropical storms and hurricanes this past summer, neither of these boats are going out.

Gail on Jolly Mon has been very prompt in the past in responding. Her boat was up for sale earlier this year. Not sure what is happening with Kathleen on Highpockets. Any recent (i.e. November/December) cruisers using eithe rof these boats?

I've seenr ecent reports on these threads that since the tropical storms and hurricanes this past summer, neither of these boats are going out.

Gail on Jolly Mon has been very prompt in the past in responding. Her boat was up for sale earlier this year. Not sure what is happening with Kathleen on Highpockets. Any recent (i.e. November/December) cruisers using eithe rof these boats?

I notice both these boats have phone numbers listed on their web site. Unlike other Caribbean Islands, those in US Territory (St. Thomas and other USVI islands and Puerto Rico) are not international calls and are included in the calling area for our ATT cell phones and our Comcast land line phone service, so it doesn't cost any more to call them then it does to call across the street.

Might as well give them a call.

I know it was easy to get a hold of Rumbaba's Captain Bobby on the phone number he listed on his site. I still think his trip is fantastic and would recommend the Rumbaba.

We tried to book with Kathleen for early December but she was totally booked for that day so I guess she's fine also.

I notice both these boats have phone numbers listed on their web site. Unlike other Caribbean Islands, those in US Territory (St. Thomas and other USVI islands and Puerto Rico) are not international calls and are included in the calling area for our ATT cell phones and our Comcast land line phone service, so it doesn't cost any more to call them then it does to call across the street.

Might as well give them a call.

They have a website with an email listed. If they can't answer an email ( I sent 2, about a week apart) within a month's time, I have to guess that they are stressed out/unorganized or both, in which case I just won't book with them.

They have a website with an email listed. If they can't answer an email ( I sent 2, about a week apart) within a month's time, I have to guess that they are stressed out/unorganized or both, in which case I just won't book with them.

While I can certainly understand this point of view you should keep in mind that these are small operations, a Captain and his own boat along with one crew member. There is not a large customer service staff at an excursion office. It would be a shame to miss out on one of these great day sail's because of lack of a timely email response. I'd definitely try calling or trying other one of these day sail excursions before giving up all together.

We tried to book with Kathleen for early December but she was totally booked for that day so I guess she's fine also.

We are booked with her for January, and I just swapped a series of emails with her for the holidays. All seems well!:)

bobj

We are booked with her for January, and I just swapped a series of emails with her for the holidays. All seems well!:)

bobj

We sailed with her last year (that's why I was trying to go again this year).

You are in for a treat!!!!! :D Kathleen is the penultimate hostess, the boat is beautiful and the sailing and snorkeling FABULOUS!!!

While I can certainly understand this point of view you should keep in mind that these are small operations, a Captain and his own boat along with one crew member. There is not a large customer service staff at an excursion office. It would be a shame to miss out on one of these great day sail's because of lack of a timely email response. I'd definitely try calling or trying other one of these day sail excursions before giving up all together.

I have booked many private excursions, some with very new/small operators. Communication response time remains high on my list of priorities. I see from other posters that the boat has changed owners so that explains the non-replies.

I wasn't giving up on day sail excursions, just on that particular one.

We sailed with her last year (that's why I was trying to go again this year).

You are in for a treat!!!!! :D Kathleen is the penultimate hostess, the boat is beautiful and the sailing and snorkeling FABULOUS!!!

That is so great to hear! We are booked for the fall with High Pockets.

We were supposed to sail with her on our last cruise, but the weather caused an itinerary change and our ship didn't dock in St Thomas on schedule. I was so disappointed - but looking forward to November to try our luck again! Kathleen has been great to work with each time and quick to respond.

We have been out with Kathleen twice. A GREAT excursion. The first time we had our 3 teenaged boys. They are experienced sailors. Not only did we actually sail - but she put them to work too! The snorkeling was great, the lunch was great, and as she takes a max of five, we had the boat to ourselves that time. Last year it was my siser and I and 4 others - another GREAT experience. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Archived