Rome's Hasslar Hotel or Intercontinental de la Ville

A Knitter

Excited to be cruising Marina's TA from Rome to Miami in November, 2011, I have searched the forum on the Hotel Hassler and Intercontinental de la Ville. If my plans go as expected, I will be arriving in Rome from a Safari in Kenya and Tanzania. With the new Marina as icing on the cake from an intensive tour in East Africa, I wanted to treat myself in one of the two hotels which seem to be favorites of many cruise critic members. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in Advance. Maria

Steps. We do not mind noise--there is noise out there. We get the magnificent suite where you can sit on the balcony and see everything going on. There is a quieter side that faces a convent or something. We go to see the action. They have a lovely restauraunt and treat you very well. We don't like to stay in something boring and quiet...that being said, perhaps what we like is not for everyone. We just love the Hassler.

100 stars for Inter Conti from us!

They are neighboring hotels and as far as the location.. what could be better. HAve stayed at both love the Inti.. go to their website get a special and make your choice.. either hotel is wonderful..so check each hotels web site , go to their specials, for your date and pick..either is a treat.. I love Rome!!:D

Excited to be cruising Marina's TA from Rome to Miami in November, 2011, I have searched the forum on the Hotel Hassler and Intercontinental de la Ville. If my plans go as expected, I will be arriving in Rome from a Safari in Kenya and Tanzania. With the new Marina as icing on the cake from an intensive tour in East Africa, I wanted to treat myself in one of the two hotels which seem to be favorites of many cruise critic members. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in Advance. Maria

P.S. Safari is wonderful.. can not wait to do that again.. what a wonderful experience of a lifetime..have a blast..

Thanks Paul, will check it out the points.

Claudia F. Thanks. Looking forward to the Safari for my upcoming 60th.

After being in the wild for a few weeks, I will need some pampering.

Caroldoll. Ditto. This was my first choice until I saw the reviews of the other hotel. They both look fabulous.

Will carefully research both. Thanks. Maria:)

Of the two the Hassler is certainly the superior hotel, especially if you book a room overlooking the city. But my favorite in Rome is still the Hotel de Russie.

What makes it your favorite over the Hassler. Thanks

Another vote for the De la Ville. Have stayed there 2x. Cant compare because I have not stayed at the Hassler but the IC De La Ville isvery nice. With a room in the front you get a little balcony and can see over the city or the rooms inside with the courtyard view are very quiet. Nice hotel.

We stayed at the De la Ville for two nights prior to a cruise several years ago, and were very impressed with the hotel. My husband had mobility limitations and traveled with a scooter. Because we wanted a seamless travel experience, we opted for Oceania's quite overpriced hotel package. The package included a half day tour of Rome, which we thought would add some value. Imagine our surprise when we showed up for the tour to discover that it was a walking tour! We were unable to take this tour and ended up hiring a car and driver, at considerable expense. Oh well, travel is full of surprises.

The Hassler is a "class act'. It is elegant with silk drapes and bedspread. The city view would be "on request" but even without it your room if it's a Deluxe Room it will one of the most elegant hotels you have ever stayed at regardless of price. The breakfast room is fine but is by no means over-the-top like the lobby, rooms, etc. Plus go outside and you are at the top of the "Spanish Steps".

The Hassler is a "class act'. It is elegant with silk drapes and bedspread. The city view would be "on request" but even without it your room if it's a Deluxe Room it will one of the most elegant hotels you have ever stayed at regardless of price. The breakfast room is fine but is by no means over-the-top like the lobby, rooms, etc. Plus go outside and you are at the top of the "Spanish Steps".

That is what attracted me the most about the Hassler, You are right in the heart of the City.

Ms Understood and Carolina Cruiserr, this will be a tough choice as it appears they are both excellent Hotels. So far it is too soon to research the price. Hasslar has opened up their reservations for November, 2011.

Marebear, Will look into yours as well.

Thanks to All.

The Hotel de Russie is a few minutes walk from the Spanish Steps down the Via del Babuino. It sits on the Piazza del Popolo. Its greatest attraction its the beautiful courtyard, a true oasis in the hubbub of Rome. Rooms, service, and the restaurant are all wonderful. AS they are at the Hassler though there you have to be very careful in your choice of rooms.

The Hotel de Russie is a few minutes walk from the Spanish Steps down the Via del Babuino. It sits on the Piazza del Popolo. Its greatest attraction its the beautiful courtyard, a true oasis in the hubbub of Rome. Rooms, service, and the restaurant are all wonderful. AS they are at the Hassler though there you have to be very careful in your choice of rooms.

Thank You.:)

My vote goes to the Intercontinental as well. We had an interesting experience there in 2005 while on sabbatical. I needed a doctor and they sent me to an American physician from Chicago who had an office in Rome. He arranged an endoscopy for me at a private clinic and prescribed the needed meds.. It was a wild experience and I will never forget how well they treated me at the IC.

We spent a week at the Intercontinental in Rome a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location close to the Spanish Steps and, importantly, close to one of the few taxi stand in Rome. But beware, the street the hotel is on (via Sistina) is cobblestoned -- if you have a room in the front overlooking the street, the noise from the cars and trucks traveling over the cobblestones is very loud. The only A/C in the hotel was in the public rooms, at least when I was there, so I had opened the windows. Quite a quandry: too loud with the windows open to sleep, too warm with the windows closed to sleep. :rolleyes: On day 2 we changed rooms to a room that did not overlook the street, slept fine, and loved the hotel. A great choice for a stay in Rome...as long as you don't have a room overlooking via Sistina.

PS - There is a terrific, long-time concierge at the hotel named Pinot (as in pinot noir). We asked him for a restaurant recommendation our first night. Rather than giving us a name off the top of his head, he quizzed us about our likes/dislikes, how far we wanted to walk, and what we were in the mood for that night. Based on our responses, he came up with a recommendation that was so perfect that EVERY DAY on that trip we had him choose our restaurant for dinner. He never steered us wrong.

My vote goes to the Intercontinental as well. We had an interesting experience there in 2005 while on sabbatical. I needed a doctor and they sent me to an American physician from Chicago who had an office in Rome. He arranged an endoscopy for me at a private clinic and prescribed the needed meds.. It was a wild experience and I will never forget how well they treated me at the IC.

Thanks. Wow, that type of personal service is priceless when in another country. Now, here's my next question, what type of travel insurance did you have?

We spent a week at the Intercontinental in Rome a couple of years ago. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location close to the Spanish Steps and, importantly, close to one of the few taxi stand in Rome. But beware, the street the hotel is on (via Sistina) is cobblestoned -- if you have a room in the front overlooking the street, the noise from the cars and trucks traveling over the cobblestones is very loud. The only A/C in the hotel was in the public rooms, at least when I was there, so I had opened the windows. Quite a quandry: too loud with the windows open to sleep, too warm with the windows closed to sleep. :rolleyes: On day 2 we changed rooms to a room that did not overlook the street, slept fine, and loved the hotel. A great choice for a stay in Rome...as long as you don't have a room overlooking via Sistina.

PS - There is a terrific, long-time concierge at the hotel named Pinot (as in pinot noir). We asked him for a restaurant recommendation our first night. Rather than giving us a name off the top of his head, he quizzed us about our likes/dislikes, how far we wanted to walk, and what we were in the mood for that night. Based on our responses, he came up with a recommendation that was so perfect that EVERY DAY on that trip we had him choose our restaurant for dinner. He never steered us wrong.

Thank You Aruba. Although I would like a room overlooking the city, yes, the noise would be a factor. Any recommendations if you can recall on the restaurants recommended.

Thanks. Wow, that type of personal service is priceless when in another country. Now, here's my next question, what type of travel insurance did you have?

We've used Travelguard for the past six years and any claims we had were always paid fairly and quickly.

We've used Travelguard for the past six years and any claims we had were always paid fairly and quickly.

Travelex is our company of choice.

http://www.travelex-insurance.com/quote/buy.aspx

Travelex is our company of choice.

http://www.travelex-insurance.com/quote/buy.aspx

Thank You both. I have used Travelex exclusively over the years but was curious about the claim in Rome. Since my next trip covers Africa before the cruise, Travelex Plus is the premium of the policies offered.

Archived