What to do with my luggage after the cruise?

Interceptor2551

After my cruise in Miami, I'll have about 10hrs to enjoy South Beach before my flight leaves. I'm leaving from MIA. What are my options in where to store my luggage until my flight leaves? I won't be taking them with me as I'm walking around obviously. I'd hate to take them all the way to the airport and then come back. Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what did you do?

Thanks

A car? Hmmm, that's an option I didn't think of. I know Carnival offers the luggage express, but I believe you had to book the flight through Carnival, which I did not.

You may want to ask on the Carnival forum about the baggage service. We just came back from Alaska on Princess and used their EZ Check baggage service. We booked our air independently (lots cheaper) and our return flight was via Southwest Air who was rumored to be a non-participant in the program. It was absolutely glorious! Well worth the 20 bucks a person we paid.

EZ checking luggage does not solve the problem of carry-on luggage. When in this situation we generally rent a car. The additional cost over paying for the normal transfer or taxi to the airport is not all that much and you can usually find a decent rental price in Miami.

Hank

Most cruise lines allow you to check your luggage right to the airport from the ship.

I think that's a really great service. But it is limited to only specific airlines, so it's important to check with the specific cruise line to get a list of airlines, if any, they coordinate with. There is also the risk of being denied the service due to being preselected under the TSA's "random" flagging for extra scrutiny at the airport. It's a good idea to have an alternate arrangement in mind, just in case.

beachchick

We had a similar situation. We were able to check most of the luggage, but we did not want to lug our carry ons around with us. We were initially told that we could not check our luggage 6 hours before our flight by American (went to a different kiosk for elite travelers and had not problem there since I have status), but something to check on if you plan to check luggage at the airport. There was a place in terminal E where they would hold your luggage for a fee. I think it cost us $7 for them to hold our bigger carryons for 6 hours. Worked pretty well. Made walking around Miami Beach much easier and enjoyable for us.

I have looked into this before because my only flight home leaves MIA late afternoon.

I have not found a hotel in any good location that offers day rooms at a decent price to book ahead of time (they might do it on the day if not full).

I cannot check my bag through from the ship as I am flying internationally.

I have no intention of attempting to drive around and navigate in Miami on my own on the wrong side of the road.

The baggage store at MIA (departures level, between terminals E and D) is very good and is the only realistic option. Get transfers or a cab to the airport (cab is about $28), drop your bags, then you can try the express bus to South Beach http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/rider_mia.asp, have a wander around, then get the bus or a cab back. Do give yourself plenty of time, the security lines in MIA can be long.

Archived